Heated Grips for Less than $50

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Even less if you already have Grip Puppies!

Last week we had a couple of cool mornings so before it gets really cold I decided to install heated grips on the FZ. I could have gone the normal route and bought heated grips like Oxford but 1. I didn't want to spend $100+, 2. I like my grip puppies and wanted to keep them and 3. I didn't want to go through the hassle of removing the stock grips (no air compressor).

So after a quick search around I found these for $34: Motorcycle Accessories from California Sport Touring, Inc.: Symtec Motorcycle Grip Heater Kit w/round rocker switch
I also found a non FZ6 forum where they did the install and it worked pretty well.

The package comes with a rocker switch for hi-off-low, wiring, plugs and the heating elements. You do need to attach the plugs to the wires but its simple. I used solder but you could probably just crimp them on.

The set up is simple. My grip puppies were already on the bike so I just rolled them back and put the elements on top of the stock grips (the elements have an adhesive) and roll the puppies back over them. One trick is to leave enough slack on the throttle side wiring so the throttle does not catch when twisted.

IMG_1396.jpg

Clutch side:
IMG_1402.jpg

Route the element wires back towards where you want to mount the switch. The faired folks can drill a hole in the fairing infill and I imagine it would look pretty good. Being naked, I had to choose a different spot.

IMG_1395.jpg

I built the bracket with a 1" clip from Home Depot (about a dollar) and attached it to one of my mirror bolts.

IMG_1404.jpg

Now you need a power source. The directions say to splice into the headlight wiring but after my naked project I wrapped those wires pretty tight. So I routed the power line direct to the positive terminal of the battery using a fused line from a Battery Tender cable I had but don't use. If you do connect to the headlight wiring it is very simple. The connector is included in the kit. Last, the two ground wires I attached to the frame using the tank bolts. I did need to widen the round connectors using a nail punch so they would fit on those bolts. Blurry pic but you can see where they go under the tank.

IMG_1400.jpg

Any excess wiring can be wrapped up clean and hidden under the tank. Then I used some electrical tape and a corrugated shroud to wrap them up nice and tight.

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

And the ride report: LOVE THEM! On high they get pretty hot but its a good way to start them up then move to low. I had them on for about 30 minutes and there was no melting issue or anything else. So Grip Puppies: $10 + Symtec Heaters: $34 + clip $1 = $45. GREAT deal for those who get chilly fingers out there.

Edit: I might make a couple of changes. 1. Move the switch to the clutch side for easier left hand switching and 2. mount to the front of the handlebars to get the wiring behind the headlight.

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
well, i am glad that you did this, that is exactly how i plan on installing heated grips on my bike! good to know that it works!!!

Trouble

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, no doubt. It was a chilly commute this morning. I'm on the road by 5:30, and it was a whopping 30 degrees out when I got to work.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I can testify that those are excellent heaters. They work well even when stuck to the bars underneath the grips.

There's one flaw I've found, easily corrected. The wires on the throttle side will flex each time you twist the throttle. Eventually they will break where they connect to the stick on heater. If you can, support the wires so that they aren't flexing right at this connection. It'll extend their life.

These grips were originally designed for snowmobiles, which don't have a twist throttle. So they designers didn't plan on the wires having to flex constantly.

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can testify that those are excellent heaters. They work well even when stuck to the bars underneath the grips.

There's one flaw I've found, easily corrected. The wires on the throttle side will flex each time you twist the throttle. Eventually they will break where they connect to the stick on heater. If you can, support the wires so that they aren't flexing right at this connection. It'll extend their life.

These grips were originally designed for snowmobiles, which don't have a twist throttle. So they designers didn't plan on the wires having to flex constantly.

Great advice. I'll probably notch (or put a hole in) the stock grip flange and feed the wire through there to keep the connection to the element from stressing. A single wrap of electrical tape on the wire could have added support.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had these on several bike and they work well. On other issue is the rocker switch shown is not waterproof. I have had several fail over the years. You may be better off with the standard toggle switch and the rubber boot.

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update!

I took some of the advice from a couple of members and changed my setup a bit. First I locked down the wire position for the throttle element with some tape. Next, I repositioned the switch with some 2" aluminum that fit perfectly after some bending. Should help to keep from the weather and provides a much cleaner look...

IMG_1410.jpg

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very good job, like what you have done with the switch, and wiring, very clean...much better. I have Oxford Hot Grips, and yours looks way more discrete.

:thumbup:

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And this setup dosen't melt the \"Grip Puppies'??

Very slick setup BTW!! Nice job!

Thanks! It was a risk going in but I read some posts in a non-FZ6 forum about a guy doing it with no issues. I left them on high for hours last weekend and there was no melting. Not even close. :thumbup:

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
For anyone thinking about ordering these, they're backordered for a couple weeks. They told me after I placed my order, I called to cancel and the guy was super nice and is sending me the grip puppies with free shipping:rockon: Found the same heaters from another place and they're backordered too....knew I should of got on this earlier...:spank:

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
question..ive been debating on installing some grip heaters, or just getting better gloves or windproof overgloves. im wondering, with heated grips, do the back of your hands still get very cold, but the palm area stays toasty warm?

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered this whole setup from them this morning, i can't wait!!!

Sweet. I've made one other modification to the install by adding a layer of electrical tape between the heater element and the puppy. Otherwise it gets really hot! (still no melting for those that want to know)

Re the back of the hands question, the combo of warmer gloves and grip warmers is a great option. But if you just had the grip warmers it will keep your blood warmer which flows throughout your hands. Kind of like those disposable toe warmers for boots (which shouldn't actually touch your toes, but on the balls of your feet) and the same style hand warmers on the back of your hands (which was my sub-par solution last winter).

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the update on the non-melting. i can;t wait to get these in and fire them up on my 30 degree commute into work!!!