Beer Thread

lastlaugh

Reaction score
Visit site
Good
Newcastle Brown Ale(From a tap or can)
Guinness(slightly below room temperature)
Tetleys
Samuel Smith
Most Flying Dog Products (its brewed right here in Frederick, MD)
Bad
High volume American beers. (unless its free)

mfelix

Reaction score
Visit site
Stella Artois and Guinness has got to be my all time favorite beers in the market, they are easily available in the market so they are my go to beer also i like Corona, it really hits me right so these are some of my favorite brands. i am not so sure about bad ones since if i don't really like a beer I don't consider it a bad one just an okay one, anything that can get me the right hit is just right!

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i usually dont drink beer but the best beer i ever had was a dark ale called Gulden Draak...had it at yard house restaurant

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just sampled this West Aussie made :rockon: rip snorter of a drop , great colour , fairly fragrant & delightfully crisp. 5.6% means you cant have to many on a Sunday arvo & hit the road :( but once the stinking hot QLD summer afternoons get here this will be consumed a LOT in my house :D

large_6236_Little%20Creatures%20Pale%20Ale.jpg

I can certainly see why this is award winning :thumbup:

Little Creatures Pale Ale - YouTube!

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
It's 7:45am here, and now I want a beer, my mouth is watering and I swear I can smell hops! thanks a lot:Flip:

PS if I didn't have to work, I'd have one, some of the best drinking I've ever done has been before 8am

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's 7:45am here, and now I want a beer, my mouth is watering and I swear I can smell hops! thanks a lot:Flip:

PS if I didn't have to work, I'd have one, some of the best drinking I've ever done has been before 8am

My pleasure :D just doing my part to keep up foreign relations :thumbup:

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't resist giving this a bump :D I'm off work in a half hour...

What I like: Guinness, London Pride, Bulleit Bourbon

What I usually end up with: Pabst, Old Crow :BLAA:

RCPMg33k

Squid
Reaction score
www.azpeacemakers.com
Alright I'm game...

1. Newcastle - Any flavor...LOVE the Founders Brew
2. 4 Peaks Kilt Lifter (Best local brew in town)
3. Guinness and Bass mixed to make a Black and Tan
4. Guinness
5. Arrogant Bastard IPA
6. Kirin (but only in a Sake Bomber)
7. Blue Moon Original Belgian White Ale
8. Fat Tire
9. Sierra Nevada Torpedo
10. Pete's Wicked - Most any variety, but the Strawberry Blonde is my favorite.
11. Lonestar (it and Miller High Life are the only American pilsners I like.
12. Grand Canyon Ale (inexpensive and sold in most of the biker bars around here)

I wont even go into the whiskeys because it would take a whole other post.
Same with the Tequilas...although my absolute fave tequila is Roger Clyne's Mexican Moonshine. If you have the ability to get some, I highly recommend the reposado. It's sooooo buttery! :) And now I need a shot. 0_0

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What I usually end up with: Old Crow :BLAA:

You know, I used to drink a fair bit of bourbon.. OK I used to drink far too much in my younger days & I have to say Old Crow is a pretty good drop for a 'cheap' bourbon but nothing will beat a Makers Mark :)..Closely followed by JD & Sam Cougar :drool:........ As for that other big name crap Jim Beam , it is so overrated & I'm sure it is the spillage from the Southern Comfort distillery :thumbup: ohh & such a teeny bopper drink :spank:

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You know, I used to drink a fair bit of bourbon.. OK I used to drink far too much in my younger days & I have to say Old Crow is a pretty good drop for a 'cheap' bourbon but nothing will beat a Makers Mark :)..C

Yeah, man Crow is about the best bang for your cheap buck. SoCo...sugar water to me. Makers will always be great!

RCPMg33k

Squid
Reaction score
www.azpeacemakers.com
When it comes to whiskey, I'm more of a scotch man...single malt, single barrel, and minimum 15 years aged if possible. The cheapest I like is the Glenlivet 12 yr. But if blended, I do love me some Johnny Walker Blue Label. :)

As for bourbon, Makers is good, Gentleman Jack is alright, and I once had a really smooth 30 year old bottle of Eagle Rare that was left to me by my wife's grandfather when he passed. That was probably the best bottle of rot gut I ever drank. Most of The Heaven Hill Distillery brands are good too. My favorite of theirs is the Elijah Craig 18 year.

And of course you can't go wrong with a cheap bottle of Jameson Irish Whiskey in a pinch. :thumbup:

Like I said...a whole other post. :BLAA:

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll give this a go! (I'm only 22 so take it with a grain of salt :p )

Luckily, I'm from west michigan and we have some of the finest microbreweries in the country (including Hopcat, which was rated the #3 beer bar in the world!)

My favorites:
Eramita III (Best beer I've ever had. From Avery Brewing Company, a sour beer which has been aged in cabernet barrels for 3 years. $10 for a 10 oz, and was only available this summer AT the brewery on tap.)
Rodenbach (This is my 2nd favorite beer. It's a sour beer, but is pretty readily available. Usually $2/bottle at import stores)

The Good:
Almost all Sam Adams
Founders Dirty Bastard (Scotch ale)
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
Big Bad Baptist Imperial Stout - Epic brewing company
Killians Irish Red
Guinness
Founders Breakfast stout
An apple cinnamon ale my brother in law made with the Mr Beer kit Was SOOOOOO good.

Okay... we just have a LOT of good beer here. Too many to list.

The Bad
Most domestic macro's (bud/miller and the like)
I usually stay away from most IPAs around here because they tend to be a bit hoppy for my taste.

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll give this a go! (I'm only 22 so take it with a grain of salt :p )

Luckily, I'm from west michigan and we have some of the finest microbreweries in the country (including Hopcat, which was rated the #3 beer bar in the world!)

My favorites:
Eramita III (Best beer I've ever had. From Avery Brewing Company, a sour beer which has been aged in cabernet barrels for 3 years. $10 for a 10 oz, and was only available this summer AT the brewery on tap.)
Rodenbach (This is my 2nd favorite beer. It's a sour beer, but is pretty readily available. Usually $2/bottle at import stores)

The Good:
Almost all Sam Adams
Founders Dirty Bastard (Scotch ale)
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
Big Bad Baptist Imperial Stout - Epic brewing company
Killians Irish Red
Guinness
Founders Breakfast stout
An apple cinnamon ale my brother in law made with the Mr Beer kit Was SOOOOOO good.

Okay... we just have a LOT of good beer here. Too many to list.

The Bad
Most domestic macro's (bud/miller and the like)
I usually stay away from most IPAs around here because they tend to be a bit hoppy for my taste.

Good taste in beer my friend. If you jump over the fence and go North of the border on day, try the Killkenny. It's a lighter version of Guinness. Lovely... but not available here in the USA.

If you can put your hang on some Leffe, that stuff is good! Bruin (brown) is my favorite but the blond is still very good.

Cheers!

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Good taste in beer my friend. If you jump over the fence and go North of the border on day, try the Killkenny. It's a lighter version of Guinness. Lovely... but not available here in the USA.

If you can put your hang on some Leffe, that stuff is good! Bruin (brown) is my favorite but the blond is still very good.

Cheers!

I actually believe I've seen killkenny at the shop I normally go to for all my import beers. And I've had Leffe. great stuff!

Edit: They only had the blonde. I'll look for the Bruin.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Beer never gets old!

Some of my favorite commercial brews:

1. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
2. Sam Adams Boston Lager
3. Guinness
5. Yuengling Lager

Favorite Craft brews:

1. Victory Hop Devil (SouthEast PA)
2. Dominion Oak Barrel Stout (Virginia)
3. New Holland's Dragon's Milk (Michigan)
4. Abita Springs Purple Haze and Turbo Dog (Louisiana)
5. Sockeye Brewery Triple Pi Belgian Triple (Idaho)

Some of my favorite Home Brews (I am an avid Homebrewer!)

1. Osage Pale Ale (5.5% ABV, 38IBU's, Cascade dry hopped)
APA3US05.jpg

2. Southern Comfort Bourbon Barrel Oaked Stout! (7% ABV, 40 IBU's, Aged with bourbon, toasted oak chips and whole vanilla bean)
SoCoOakStout2012_2.jpg

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, man Crow is about the best bang for your cheap buck. SoCo...sugar water to me. Makers will always be great!

I was pleasantly surprised at the Evan Williams 10 year single malt. It runs about $25 for a 750ml, which is around what you'll pay for a bottle of makers I believe. I don't keep much whiskey around these days but I have a few bottles of that under my belt, and quite enjoyed it. Anyone else ever give it a try?

As for beers, I tried to resist the (possibly now passed?) trend of super-hoppy pale ales, but I enjoy those. So here are a few highlights....

Favorites
Bell's Oberon
Bell's Two Hearted Ale
Bitter American
Dale's Pale ale
Optimal Wit
Magic Hat #9
I'm also a fan of stouts--I'll give whatever you've got a try

I'll give just about anything a try, and there are countless one or two offs that I pick up at the grocery or try with dinner that I never will remember. I am also a big fan of stouts.. I generally try to steer clear of beers that I suspect have the distinct LACK of taste of your generic macros :BLAA: However, nothing wrong with a super light beer to cool off and relax with during the summer, and for that I usually pick miller light (since it most closely resembles water :thumbup: ). I also don't understand the obsession with Fat Tire Amber, and could never really get on board with that.