Belly Pan Goodness

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought this thing about a year and a half ago and have just been putting off doing anything with it. Got it from eBay for about 130 bucks shipped but the fiberglass was in a bit of a rough shape and the brackets needed modified. I got out to the garage today wanting to do something productive so I decided to jump in and knock this project out. I am very happy with the way it turned out, especially the paint which I never do very well at but went surprisingly well for me this time. By the way I used a Dupli-Color paint color that someone on another thread suggested months ago. I remember there being someone arguing with him about not being a perfect match or something ... I'll tell you what for under $20.00 including paint and clear coat I am VERY happy with my results. So here is the finished product...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good man especially for a rattle can job of corse with dulpa color you cant go wrong

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought this thing about a year and a half ago and have just been putting off doing anything with it. Got it from eBay for about 130 bucks shipped but the fiberglass was in a bit of a rough shape and the brackets needed modified. I got out to the garage today wanting to do something productive so I decided to jump in and knock this project out. I am very happy with the way it turned out, especially the paint which I never do very well at but went surprisingly well for me this time. By the way I used a Dupli-Color paint color that someone on another thread suggested months ago. I remember there being someone arguing with him about not being a perfect match or something ... I'll tell you what for under $20.00 including paint and clear coat I am VERY happy with my results. So here is the finished product...

that was me that discovered the paint, i think the paint is an amazingly good match. you did a good job, looks great! it sure beats spending $100+ on a can of paint doesn't it lol.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
that was me that discovered the paint, i think the paint is an amazingly good match. you did a good job, looks great! it sure beats spending $100+ on a can of paint doesn't it lol.

Yeah.. thanks for the the original post... I saved the info from it and used it when I got around to doing this project. You painted a hard case for your bike didn't you?

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Those are some of the best projects, the ones you put off doing and then have them turn out great.

Really nice looking.:thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I always thought the belly pans looked great!
Nice job on it!. Really completes the look! :rockon:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah.. thanks for the the original post... I saved the info from it and used it when I got around to doing this project. You painted a hard case for your bike didn't you?

yeah, my axio tank and tailbag. that was a steal on what you paid for your belly pan, i paid over $300 for mine :(

Last edited:

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there a car that this paint colour comes from? Over here in UK we have rattle cans and pretty much any car colour- is there a reference? I have the same sparkly blue bike as you and also have a 'project' belly pan in the shed off Ebay that needs fettling

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there a car that this paint colour comes from? Over here in UK we have rattle cans and pretty much any car colour- is there a reference? I have the same sparkly blue bike as you and also have a 'project' belly pan in the shed off Ebay that needs fettling

do a search here for duplicolor and it will pop up. i am out the door now or i would find it for you.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Dupli-Color Blue Paint - BMG0506

Dupli-Color ClearCoat - BCL0125

as mrphotoman mentioned make sure you coat the surface with a dark primer before painting. Make sure after you wet sand the primer that no white is showing through or the color in that area wont be the correct color blue. I have a couple very small areas I didn't notice that are a lighter blue because I didn't cover them sufficiently with primer. Good luck!!

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Nice, I have the same one sitting in my shed for the last year as well, you may have motivated me to get off my butt and mount it up :thumbup:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good job! Looks really good, and most people won't ever get close enough to that part of the bike to notice the slightly lighter colour! :thumbup:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
For belly pans i dont know if it would even make sense to actually spend the money to have it painted with a exact match paint, by a body shop or what have you, because after all its a belly pan and if you spent alot of money having it painted, imo it would be money wasted since the first time you go for a ride it will get chips in it. Even if it didnt get chips it would eventually gt some sort.of damage from road debris and all kind of other nastyness kicked up by the front tire.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk