Bent Bars

DCMonster22

Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm the second owner of a blue 2006 FZ6. The first owner dropped it going <7 mph. Theres only minor cosmetic damage except for the bars. The right handgrip is about a half inch closer to the seat than the left. How concerned should I be about this?

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm the second owner of a blue 2006 FZ6. The first owner dropped it going <7 mph. Theres only minor cosmetic damage except for the bars. The right handgrip is about a half inch closer to the seat than the left. How concerned should I be about this?

You can get the bars (or the FZ1 bars) from Yamaha for 20-30 bucks. The bike will handle fine, but having the bars off like that can be uncomfortable. Also - when you buy another bike after this one, you'll think that it's off because your positions been skewed for so long. It's a cheap easy fix, I'd do it - but there's really nothing that it's hurting if you don't do it.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
How timely....there is another new thread on "How often do you ride one handed".....keep the bent bars.....ride one handed (non bent side) and you'll never know the diff....only at stops (if it's clutch side) or only while braking or having to use the throttle (if it's on the throttle side) and that way you can be the first to post that you ride one handed all the time!

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
If you are quite tall i highly recommend the FZ1 bar, they are really comfortable and make the bike feel a bit more sporty (a bit lower and further forward), it also makes the handling a bit better IMO, the bikes feels more flickable.

The instal is easy, all it takes is drilling a hole in the bar, took about an hour to do the whole swap and i think that if i had to do it again i could do it in 40 min.

If you are on the shorter side it might not be a great idea as the bar will stretch you forward more which might not be as nice.

PS: the FZ6R bar fits as well, same as the FZ1 bar but with a higher rise apparently.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Any chance its simply the bars not being centered in the clamp? It pretty easy to miss by a 1/4" as once the grips, cables, hoses, levers, are added its difficult to measure from the ends to the clamp.

I second the vote: FZ1 bars! :thumbup:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How timely....there is another new thread on "How often do you ride one handed".....keep the bent bars.....ride one handed (non bent side) and you'll never know the diff....only at stops (if it's clutch side) or only while braking or having to use the throttle (if it's on the throttle side) and that way you can be the first to post that you ride one handed all the time!

This forum is great, we have just the right answer for everything:BLAA:

tamucc2004

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a simple word of advice from someone who wrecks alot. You may loosen and tighten/torque one bolt at a time on you triple trees. Sometimes even a small drop and slightly twist or bind your forks. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them just may make a difference over time or in the handling.

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can get the bars (or the FZ1 bars) from Yamaha for 20-30 bucks. The bike will handle fine, but having the bars off like that can be uncomfortable. Also - when you buy another bike after this one, you'll think that it's off because your positions been skewed for so long. It's a cheap easy fix, I'd do it - but there's really nothing that it's hurting if you don't do it.

If it turns out they are bent...I'd just like to note how much nicer it is replacing bars when the wiring is on the *outside*....one thing of many I love about having a modern bike. :D :blaa:

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
Any chance its simply the bars not being centered in the clamp? It pretty easy to miss by a 1/4" as once the grips, cables, hoses, levers, are added its difficult to measure from the ends to the clamp.

I second the vote: FZ1 bars! :thumbup:

I would check this first as well. The previous owner of my bike had dropped it as well(In the grass though I think) and it pushed the handlebar over a bit. Just had to loosen it and center, than re-tighten.

DCMonster22

Reaction score
Visit site

Love the idea! thanks for all the info, being this was my first post I wasn't aware of the unwavering support of my fellow FZ6 riders! I'm only 5'8 but I think FZ1 bars still made the list for the winter mods!:rockon:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Love the idea! thanks for all the info, being this was my first post I wasn't aware of the unwavering support of my fellow FZ6 riders! I'm only 5'8 but I think FZ1 bars still made the list for the winter mods!:rockon:

If you do have a go at re centering your bar or at swapping it, make sure you tighten the front two bolts of the handle bar holder first and then the two rear bolts!

I have seen a few threads where people say you should tighten them in an X pattern little by little, but the manual says to tighten the front two to spec and then the rear two.
If you inspect the top clamp it does make more sens to do it this way.

It might be worth checking these bolts anyway, as two out of four on my bike where not even finger tight, and it was the same on my friends FZ6 when he checked his. If you don't have a torque wrench (i don't) dont overtighten them, i think they are meant to be at around 25Nm which is pretty much just snug.

redProc

Reaction score
Visit site
It might be worth checking these bolts anyway, as two out of four on my bike where not even finger tight, and it was the same on my friends FZ6 when he checked his. If you don't have a torque wrench (i don't) dont overtighten them, i think they are meant to be at around 25Nm which is pretty much just snug.

Funny you say that. The previous owner of mine had the bar rotated back a few degrees (not sure if it was from a garage drop, or intentional). When I loosened the nuts, two were pretty snug, and the other two were barely finger tight.

I hadn't noticed the FSM note about ordering, and used the usual X pattern to tighten them back up after adjusting the handlebar.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny you say that. The previous owner of mine had the bar rotated back a few degrees (not sure if it was from a garage drop, or intentional). When I loosened the nuts, two were pretty snug, and the other two were barely finger tight.

I hadn't noticed the FSM note about ordering, and used the usual X pattern to tighten them back up after adjusting the handlebar.

It might be worth retightening them in the right order.
You want to make sure that there is no gap between the two parts of the clamp at the front and only a gap at the rear!