Better MPG

Okay witness the Hellgate thought process here...most often I'm wrong...
I think the key to getting better mileage is to make the engine spin slower at a given speed. A one tooth increase is about a 6.25% increase in final gearing, right? So...I would think that one's mileage would go up about the same amount, or from 45mpg to 47.5mpg-ish.

Thoughts???

When an engine spins at any given RPM you're using a set amount of fuel. If you set the same throttle at two different RPMs, the higher RPM will use more gas simply because the injectors are firing more frequently. If you can go the same speed with lower RPM, even at a slightly higher throttle setting, you're saving fuel simply because you're not squirting gas into the cylinders so often. Over 200 miles at 7000RPM this becomes a significant difference. Think of your throttle as a fuel governing device, and your RPM as a multiplier. 6000RPM x 10cc/min (lower RPM with higher throttle setting) is less fuel than 7000RPM x 8cc/min (higher RPM with lower throttle setting).

Last edited:
When an engine spins at any given RPM you're using a set amount of fuel. If you set the same throttle at two different RPMs, the higher RPM will use more gas simply because the injectors are firing more frequently. If you can go the same speed with lower RPM, even at a slightly higher throttle setting, you're saving fuel simply because you're not squirting gas into the cylinders so often. Over 200 miles at 7000RPM this becomes a significant difference. Think of your throttle as a fuel governing device, and your RPM as a multiplier. 6000RPM x 10cc/min (lower RPM with higher throttle setting) is less fuel than 7000RPM x 8cc/min (higher RPM with lower throttle setting).

I used to think this would work and in some cases and under certain conditions it does pan out but it's not always true. It does pan ut in a sustained run under a susyained load but we are rarely sustained.

I wonder this as well... I have heard that 4k rpm is borderline lugging the engine and is not too good for the bike.. anyone?

That depends on a combination of things. If you've got the throttle wide open and it's at 4000 - that's lugging and not good. If' you've got the throttle almost closed and it's at 4000 - that's cruising and it's OK on this bike. Personally I don't go lower than 4000 for extended periods, but as long as the engine load is light about the worst thing you're doing to the bike with 4000 RPMs is insulting the engine's R6 racing pedigree.

If you're in the really low RPM range say idle to 3000, you are going to have really low torque so you might not be able to accelerate out of a jam. Going downhill in zero traffic that might not a problem, but personally I tend to put safety above a slight gain in efficiency. You eventually get a "feel" for what makes sense.

I appreciate all of the posts ya'll put up on this. Gas companies seem to be the only ones to make us look forward to three-dollar-a-gallon prices. When gas was a reasonable $1.50/gallon, for the good stuff, I would always opt for the regular at $1.30. Now that it is over $4, I fail to see the reasoning for buying regular for only 20 cents less. Putting things into perspective, at $2 per gallon, we were essentially getting twice the fuel mileage we do now.

This is an awesome bike, I am quite pleased with the $5,000.00 hit my checking account took in puting it in my garage. Perhaps the best way to increase fuel efficiency is the most obvious-take it easy on the throttle.

Mike

I filled up today to the metal thingy at the top of the tank, the same spot as the first fill up:
184.1 miles / 3.557 gallons = 51.757098 mpg. I can live with that.

I appreciate all of the posts ya'll put up on this. Gas companies seem to be the only ones to make us look forward to three-dollar-a-gallon prices. When gas was a reasonable $1.50/gallon, for the good stuff, I would always opt for the regular at $1.30. Now that it is over $4, I fail to see the reasoning for buying regular for only 20 cents less. Putting things into perspective, at $2 per gallon, we were essentially getting twice the fuel mileage we do now.

This is an awesome bike, I am quite pleased with the $5,000.00 hit my checking account took in puting it in my garage. Perhaps the best way to increase fuel efficiency is the most obvious-take it easy on the throttle.

Mike
I agree..take it easy on the throttle and be smooth...you'll do fine. This bike gets better mileage than my Subbie Legacey GT....25 mpg (2k on the clock)...so anything in the high 40's and low 50's is great by my account.....probably not going to spend much more time thinking about it either...just going to ride and enjoy!

Last edited:
Back