Bike Insurance

FZ6AH

08 Yamaha fz6 s2 Newbie!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Which insurance company do most folk on here insure there bike with?

I used the MCN insurance quote site and had varying quotes ranging from £300 through to £1800!

spine

Reaction score
www.shop4biker.co.uk
Swinton all the time with the FZ6. Nobody has been able to match the price by even a couple of hundred quid.

Just a note on the comparison sites, be careful. The quotes on those sites tend to 'assume' lots of things, so always go through to the final site and check all the information it's auto-filled in.

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure how insurance works in UK but in USA it's often cheaper to insure with your car or homeowner's insurance company (mine gave me a 20% discount on my motorcycle insurance because I also have home and auto through them).

Owning a house, turning 30 and getting married all significantly dropped my moto insurance rate...I am insuring 2 bikes, FULL COVERAGE for $300/year.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got my bill the other day. for my 2005 FZ6 - $250 for the year!!! Progressive

edit: opps.. did not really read and see that OP wanted UK quotes.. sorry about that!!

Last edited:

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I see that the OP was probably just asking for UK companies, but I could not pass up a joke and a boast.

I use [really deep Dennis Haysbert voice] Allstate. My bill for this year was $125.45.

I was surprised that it was so low. First time I've paid MC insurance in 25 years so I was expecting it to be higher. I have four cars and my homeowners with them, so maybe they felt too guilty to take the rest of my paycheck. :rolleyes:

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with Bennetts. Cheapest quotes all the way back to my 125. They match or beat quotes I've had on compare the market from others too.

Actually useful as well, had an Aprilia Pegaso nicked last year and they paid it all out very quickly.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I'm with Swinton, but I wouldn't recommend them. TBH most cheap companies are all equally rubbish. I've also used e-bike.

Pick one with a low premium and a low excess. If you phone them then you can usually negotiate a better deal. Better to pay a few quid more for a low excess, than to save a few pounds and then find out the excess is almost the same as the cost of the bike.

Breakdown cover is useful too, and if you have expensive textiles/helmet then you might want to consider covering that too. The accident cover is pretty useless though, they won't pay you any money unless you actually lose an arm or get blinded. I had this when I was involved in a serious road accident and they wouldn't do anything, not even pay for physio.

FZ6AH

08 Yamaha fz6 s2 Newbie!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys

Managed to get a quote for £300 for my 2008 fz6 fully comp and includes legal and personal asistance. I think this is a very reasonable quote considering i dont have any NCD and only got my full license earier in the week

Compulsary excess is £200 and voluntary excess is £300

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys

Managed to get a quote for £300 for my 2008 fz6 fully comp and includes legal and personal asistance. I think this is a very reasonable quote considering i dont have any NCD and only got my full license earier in the week

Compulsary excess is £200 and voluntary excess is £300

just so long as you don't mind paying £500 to make a claim

I tend to keep my voluntary excess at £0, and compulsory less than £200.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Which insurance company do most folk on here insure there bike with?

I used the MCN insurance quote site and had varying quotes ranging from £300 through to £1800!
Red Star (when I lived in the UK) 75 quid Fully comp with 200 quid excess, clean licence and max NCB.
Nelly

FZ6AH

08 Yamaha fz6 s2 Newbie!
Reaction score
Visit site
just so long as you don't mind paying £500 to make a claim

I tend to keep my voluntary excess at £0, and compulsory less than £200.

Ive just done a re-quote and its comes out at the same price with voluntary excess at £0! Ill be calling them in the morning to arrange for it to be changed

spine

Reaction score
www.shop4biker.co.uk
Ive just done a re-quote and its comes out at the same price with voluntary excess at £0! Ill be calling them in the morning to arrange for it to be changed

Yeah, what Greg said. You don't want any voluntary excess if you can help it. I always have mine at £0. Think my compulsory is £300.

Swinton have always been good to me when I've needed to sort stuff out, so I have no complaints. Plus, they do cashback ;)

I think £300 fully comp for an 08 model and someone with a new licence and no claims is a fantastic price.

FZ6AH

08 Yamaha fz6 s2 Newbie!
Reaction score
Visit site
Just called the insurance company to arrange for the excess to be removed. Had to pay an admin fee of £15 which is still cheaper than paying an excess of £300

cost of insurance is now £305, compulsary excess is £200, voluntary excess is £0

Just need to arrange for rear tyre to be replaced which ill be doing later today

cowauto

Stop raining on me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I shop around every year, and not had any major problems with any insurer. Always go fully comp with as complete cover as possible. Always get interesting quotes from comparison sites though ... View attachment 52253
(from last year,held licence 6 years, 5 years no claims)

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
First time round I had ebike. Don't go there! They're rubbish! I had a claim and they didn't bother to follow it for over a year! And because, they're an "online insurer" to cut costs, calling them is 54 pence a minute.
I then went with Hastings as they had a good price. But thankfully I've never had to "use" them, so I don't know how good they are.
I'm 21 and was insured in Birmingham and it cost just shy of 40 a month.

Now I've moved to the NL I pay €6 a month!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
I always shop around the minute a renewal notice arrives. Renewals have never given me the best deal until I quote them a quote number from a comparison site. For renewals they just double the real price and rely on people not checking and just allowing auto renewal to happen. :spank: