Bike on bike... Need ideas/ suggestions

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
My fiancee and I love Mountain biking.. and motorcycling (his: FZ6, hers: FZ6R). Its my dream to mount up the bicycles on my FZ6, and ride the motorcycles to the trails.

But how?

My 2 thoughts:

1: Get a tail rack, and mount 2 cycle trays off it like such,
but then the bike is way up there in the air.. and hanging way off the back.. idk how i feel about that. (like the attached photo)

2: Fab a fork mount near the passenger foot peg, and let the bikes tail off the back of the motorcycle, at least then they're not sticking up tall off the back of the bike.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Not worth it in my opinion.

I mean, even if you get your bicycle mounted. What are you planning to do with your gear?

Meh, I'm not too worried about that. All I need for mtn biking is my shoes, jersey, shorts, and helmet. I have a tank bag, and a combination of a tail bag and saddle bags (depending on how I mount the trays). Also, my better half can carry gear on her bike too if I have the mtn bikes on mine. We know how to pack and live minimally!

In fact, I have the idea that i can include a tent and other required camping gear between the two of us.
I dont think I'd over weight the bike either, the mtn bikes are about 25lbs each plus other gear should come in at roughly less than 100 lbs.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ever consider a pull behind motorcycle trailer?

The hardest part would be finding a hitch for your bike.

I pulled one I made on my old Goldwing and didn't know it was there it pulled so easily.

You can make a Harbor freight cheapo trailer frame and a car roof "cargo carrier" and a swivel hitch and load al kinds of stuff on there..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As for weight distribution, keep in mind a passenger is seated over the rear axle.
As you move futher away (rearward) past the axle, added weight impacts weight distribution due to leverage...
It will take less weight to upset the suspensions geometry when the load is past the axle...

That said, I'd think 50lbs a foot back would still be doable. You could mock it pretty easy and look at the bikes loading with you on it. Ah - sit on a 2x4 and add weight past the axle.

Good luck! The picture looks clean!

Serzedo

Reaction score
www.mototurismoadois.pt.vu
Think it doesn't worth taking the risk... first the weight distribution will get weird, not to mention aerodinamics.

Then... where will you keep your motorcycle gear? Jacket, pants, boots, gloves, helmet... those things need space and if you will carry the motorcycle you won't have space to keep your gear safe from burgulars.

"V"

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Do what i do when I got most places with my motorcycle and run a cable throught the jacket and lock that to the bike, then throw the helmet on the lock..

I like this guys get up with the round bars that look like they mount in place of the passenger seat, but that would be a little trickier of the fz. Does look professional though!

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a friend who made a rack similar to the picture you posted. That much weight hanging far off the back of the bike really changed the handling for him. Even a ~26lb MTB. I think a trailer would be a better option, though harder to make. Our bike has a hollow rear axle, so that could be an option as an attachment point. There are manufacturers of motorcycle trailers that use this for attachment points, but not for mounting a bike. I'm sure other attachment points are available, especially if you have a rear rack.

Check this out. Instead of a container, you just need to attach a fork mount (whether it be a skewer or thru axle; both can be bought online), a holder for front wheel, and something to secure the rear wheel.my home made single wheel trailer ----> not actually mine, just a link I found

Check out post #10. I'm sure you wouldn't even notice a MTB on a trailer.
Anyone ever tow your motorcycle with another motorcycle? - ADVrider

This video might give you some ideas.
https://youtu.be/Hr9T4JYF72g

And finally check out the pics in this album. Some of MTBs on a trailer.
Forrest Bault's Library | Photobucket

Yeah..I've looked into this quite a bit, but have yet to follow through with any ideas. Seems to me that a single wheeled trailer is the best option using a fork mount.

Last edited:

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
I can see what you've done there, not entirely what I meant...I wonder if this is a piece of slang you don't have over the pond?

bike Noun. A promiscuous woman, often with respect to the immediate district or locality. Derog. Cf. 'town bike'.