Bike Search! Looking for mechanical advice!

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
As you guys might be aware, I had to write off my poor FZ6. While it's tempting to go and grab another, I see this opportunity as a chance to try another bike! I ended up having some weird fascination with Gixxers, although I wouldn't really mind any of the 600 supersports if I were to find a good deal. I've been finding bikes in a lot of cases way out of my price point, high mileage or not, which is unfortunate. Sellers aren't budging at all either! My budget is going to be low this time, between 2-3 grand, because I've since gotten a car and need to start saving for a down payment on a house. I'd like to have fun in the mean time though, between work, since driving a manual ecobox (1.4L Cruze) isn't particularly fun.

So, I've found myself running across GSXRs for instance with 40,000+ KM and prices around 3-4 thousand. The owners are never particularly keen on dropping their price, which I think is nuts when the blue book value isn't even close to that. More recently though, I found a 2001 with 54,000km (about 34,000 freedom units) and a price point which I've got worked down to $1700. You could part the bike out for something around that, easy. I went and had a look at it, and it was in overall better shape than I expected it to be. There's some cosmetic damage, mainly the stator cover is scraped, along with a small section of partly melted fairing on the underside near the exhaust, but other than that - it looks good. Mechanically, it runs and seems to idle fine without anything abnormal sounding, although it's in dire need of a stator/rectifier, the latter having exploded. Past that, it could really use a valve adjustment, spark plugs, and probable TB sync.

I've asked on various GSXR forums and nobody seems to get back to me, and while I realize it's not a bike that people here are necessarily familiar with - I'd like to see what people suspect I might be hearing when I say there's a faint ticking coming from where the stator is located. The seller says it needs replacing, which I believe, but I'm curious as to why it'd be ticking as I've always heard that the bike just doesn't charge anymore and dies. Could it be a loose stator bolt, knocked free from the stator case impact? It's certainly not valve ticking, as it's much more quiet and ticks at a different rate. Doesn't seem to get any louder if you rev the bike, which I think rules out a spun bearing or the likes. I'm going to keep this bike on the back burner and try to find something in better shape, but it's a curiosity at this point which is enticing simply due to the price.

As always, thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
Honeslty, I think you should go to a dealership and bull**** on how much money you can spend. Test drive some bikes doesn't have to be a new dealership but a used store will usually let you ride something if you seem interested and have your endorsement. I rode a friends cbrr 600 and felt like their was way to much weight on my hands and it wouldn't be comfortable for anything more than an hour. Plus it made me want to speed even more than mine does.\

I'm in the market for a new bike possibly too still waiting on the insurance company though.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking let the seller fix the bike and then come to you with a price. I wouldn't take a chance that the tick or any other malfunction is just what the seller says it is. Suzukis have been known to loose the magnets on the stator flywheel and leave a crap load of debris behind. Naturally it destroys the stator winding. Without knowing I'd leave it be.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 ^^^. Sounds like it hasn't had a particularly easy life and that ticking would concern me from the stator cover.

Maybe if he let you pull that cover off, confirm its just a loose magnet, then haggle...

I'd get some dealer prices on the sync, valve adjustment, price of stator, VR fix, etc (even thou you may be doing it yourself) and have that in hand.
All those items alone is a small fortune.

Last edited:

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with all of the above. If your looking to save money buying somebody else's problems isn't it. Also you might want to consider calling on insurance quotes for any bike your looking at first, especially supersports. Not sure how it is in Canada but here in the states you pay quite a bit more for any bike with an R in the name. If you look hard and long enough you'll eventually find a good bike for a good price. My last bike and car I bought took me month's of looking to the point where I felt like giving up.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Honeslty, I think you should go to a dealership and bull**** on how much money you can spend. Test drive some bikes doesn't have to be a new dealership but a used store will usually let you ride something if you seem interested and have your endorsement. I rode a friends cbrr 600 and felt like their was way to much weight on my hands and it wouldn't be comfortable for anything more than an hour. Plus it made me want to speed even more than mine does.\

I'm in the market for a new bike possibly too still waiting on the insurance company though.

Only reason I'm fascinated by Gixxers is because I rode one, and really liked it. The way I see it, I'd probably enjoy the other supersports around the same - I've just always heard good things about Gixxers and CBRs as far as comfort is concerned. I'm not having much luck with CBRs, save for F4i's which I'd love except for the fact that everybody is asking way too much for them. At this point, I don't really want another FZ6 because I always felt like I had to fight it to ride it, whereas the other bikes I've ridden were so instantly user friendly. It's not to say that older models of bikes are going to be as smooth, due to design changes and the likes over the years, but that doesn't rule out the fact that they could be - and pretty much every clutch I've pulled, throttle I've twisted, or shifter I've tested on other bikes were a lot easier to use as a whole.

I'm thinking let the seller fix the bike and then come to you with a price. I wouldn't take a chance that the tick or any other malfunction is just what the seller says it is. Suzukis have been known to loose the magnets on the stator flywheel and leave a crap load of debris behind. Naturally it destroys the stator winding. Without knowing I'd leave it be.

You bring up a really good point. I really should be smart with my money, and if I'm going to go the budget route - at least get something which the owners have kept in proper condition the whole way through. I've inquired with the seller about removing the stator cover and investigating it for me, since I'm not driving an hour out of town to poke at something I might not buy. There's some similar deals locally, although for a bit more money, and I think I'll continue to investigate those and see what's what.

+1 ^^^. Sounds like it hasn't had a particularly easy life and that ticking would concern me from the stator cover.

Maybe if he let you pull that cover off, confirm its just a loose magnet, then haggle...

I'd get some dealer prices on the sync, valve adjustment, price of stator, VR fix, etc (even thou you may be doing it yourself) and have that in hand.
All those items alone is a small fortune.

I shot him a text in the hopes he'd be willing to take it off and send me some photos. If he doesn't want to cooperate (especially after I've shown genuine interest), I'll just walk and call it a day. I'm stuck in between really wanting a bike no matter what the condition, and having a bit of doubt in regards to this particular find. This guy isn't a mechanic, more of a squid, so it's probably better to err on the side of caution. I'm going to determine some local dealership prices on things, and use that for my next talk with a potential seller.

Agree with all of the above. If your looking to save money buying somebody else's problems isn't it. Also you might want to consider calling on insurance quotes for any bike your looking at first, especially supersports. Not sure how it is in Canada but here in the states you pay quite a bit more for any bike with an R in the name. If you look hard and long enough you'll eventually find a good bike for a good price. My last bike and car I bought took me month's of looking to the point where I felt like giving up.

You're right. It's been slowly dawning on me that this might be a bad idea, and yeah... You're definitely right.

Insurance here in Ontario is pretty much criminal. Companies wanted between 4-6 thousand for my FZ6, until I got it down to 600 through my dad. That's the only way I can reasonably afford insurance on anything, since the rates are absurd otherwise. It'd definitely jump a little bit with the R on the end, but I don't think it'd be enough to cause me any major trouble.

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure about common issue difference between the 600 and 1k's. Buddy of mine has an 04 1k and he had the same issue with the stator ticking and it was a bolt that worked itself loose, easy fix and he said it was pretty common.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure about common issue difference between the 600 and 1k's. Buddy of mine has an 04 1k and he had the same issue with the stator ticking and it was a bolt that worked itself loose, easy fix and he said it was pretty common.

I'm glad to hear that. Finally, somebody who seems to know exactly the problem I was talking about! I'm going to inquire further with the seller and see what's what.... Maybe try and talk him down a bit, since I'd have to do some work (or find a bike that won't need work - since that's a lot easier if the seller has already done it, and I don't get the bike "as is")