Bike warm-up acting strange

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
2005 S1, 50,000 miles

Observation - For a few months now, bike seems to take longer to warm up. Recently, if ridden as soon as the tach stops blinking, it will start blinking again in a few minutes of riding. After that it goes solid and stays there. Also recently, once warm up is done and idle settles around 1300rpm, after some time riding (30 minutes ish) idle seems to race when at idle at a light.
1500, 1600 rpm ish.

There is no perceptible performance issues or odd sounds, but fuel mileage seems off, but that could be me :)

Cooling system is topped up, overflow is good and I get nice hot hoses once warmed up.

I am guessing that I have a thermostat that is stuck partially open, Either that or the temp sensor is failing.

This weekend I planning on delving into this, so I figured I would reach out see what the FZ6 universe had to offer as advice before I began.

Thanks

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As for the warm-up, my 2005 (with 44K miles) does the same thing. I suspected the thermostat too, and changed it out. Nothing was wrong with the old one, though.
Based on feedback from this forum, I blocked off the radiator with a piece of cardboard last year and it helped with temps quite a bit, tach never went back into blinking mode after warmup.

With the temps this chilly in the NE, I think it's normal.

As for your racing idle, I have no answers for that.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. I first observed the slow warm up months ago, during the warm summer months. As for the 're-blinking', I first saw that 2 days ago, might have been going on longer.

The analyst in me says that the poor fuel mileage and the peculiar idle jump might be from the ECU enriching the mixture and opening the idle air, as it would on a cold engine. I need to decide if I am dealing with a real problem (thermostat) or an instrumentation problem (temp sensor). Or something else.

I dread a water pump problem, as I understand they are no longer available from Yamaha.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. I first observed the slow warm up months ago, during the warm summer months. As for the 're-blinking', I first saw that 2 days ago, might have been going on longer.

The analyst in me says that the poor fuel mileage and the peculiar idle jump might be from the ECU enriching the mixture and opening the idle air, as it would on a cold engine. I need to decide if I am dealing with a real problem (thermostat) or an instrumentation problem (temp sensor). Or something else.

I dread a water pump problem, as I understand they are no longer available from Yamaha.

Probably not a water pump problem. If you needed a water pump and can't find it for the FZ6 maybe cross reference the part number and see if any of the R6 models might match?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Basic's first...

The slow warm up issue, pull and replace the thermostat. It (of course) should be closed when cold/starting.
It CAN be changed W/O yanking the TB's.

With the cold coolant, it goes to an area of the TB's and as the coolant warms, the idle drops to normal.
I suspect in your area, right now, it's a bit chilly making the issue worse. The lower mileage indicates the engine is staying
"in cold mode", running rich...

It's not the WP as the coolant would not flow and it'd get hot fast and stay hot all the time/overheating as you
have limited water flow.

BTW, the WP is not hard to re-build with the parts only. It usually leaks at the lower part
of the housing when it does begin to fail...

(Pic set to expire in 7 days admin)

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Any updates?
I am starting to think it has to do with a screw loose. I decided to do some measurements, and what I found was that from stone cold to operating temp takes about 4.5 minutes. Shorter than I thought. So maybe I have a screw loose [emoji3] . As for the other symptoms, more info in a later update

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How embarrassing... didn't even realize that was what the flashing-tach meant. Rode in this a.m in 34-deg F, obsessively watched for the flashing to stop (it did, 3-4 mins)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How embarrassing... didn't even realize that was what the flashing-tach meant. Rode in this a.m in 34-deg F, obsessively watched for the flashing to stop (it did, 3-4 mins)

Remember, that's just the coolant. The engine oil is still cold...

Until the coolant gets to temp AND the clutch cover, is VERY WARM, I take it real easy on the throttle / RPM's...