Having an issue with my cooling system - Liquid noise + overflow

KHarper4289

Reaction score
Visit site
Flushed coolant last week, it's finally hot here in Oregon so my bike hit 200+ for the first time. Pulled up in my garage, turned bike off, heard a sound that resembled squirting water, seems like it's all through my coolant system, pipes/radiator. About 30 seconds later my overflow dumps about an ounce of coolant on the floor.

Steps taken to flush coolant : 1 tablespoon of vinegar in .5 gallons of distilled water, ran it until 170~, dumped, refilled with engine ice, ran bike cold, knocked it back and forth, bounced around, squeezed hoses, got all of the bubbles out, topped it off, capped it. Filled to the "L" line in the reservoir.

Radiator cap appears to be making a good seal, all gasket material is in good shape.

My thoughts : When I filled with engine ice, there was still enough distilled water in the system to dilute it enough to lower the boiling temperature so that when the bike is turned off, the cooling block sitting on the hot parts will boil, causing the overflow.

This combined with possibly putting too much coolant in it to begin with. After it dumped about 3-4 oz total after me replicating the problem, it no longer dumps coolant, but it does make this obnoxious noise when turned off after about 200 degrees and up.

Any ideas before I reflush and waste $20 in Engine ice?

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You're probably hearing it overflow into the overflow reservoir. After it cools make sure the reservoir shows the level of coolant on the cold mark. Remove any extra coolant over the cold mark. Maybe the expansion rate of engine ice is different from regular 50:50 mix antifreeze.

If all else fails stop over my place! Lol!

KHarper4289

Reaction score
Visit site
You're probably hearing it overflow into the overflow reservoir. After it cools make sure the reservoir shows the level of coolant on the cold mark. Remove any extra coolant over the cold mark. Maybe the expansion rate of engine ice is different from regular 50:50 mix antifreeze.

If all else fails stop over my place! Lol!

confirmed radiator cap was popping at 14psi on my tester. Bought a new Duralast from Autozone (bleh, but it was available and cheap).

drained, refilled with engine ice, brought it up to 180F so the thermostat would open, knocked bike around, squeezed hoses, topped it off, plugged it, turned it off -

No more noise, no more overflow.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Heck, didn't even have a chance to chime in before ya fixed it... :)

But yes, the radiator cap would be the first check if you already changed the fluids..
The cooling system is pretty basic and stout..

Thanks for the update / info!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes sir a faulty cap compromises the whole system. A tiny leak anywhere in the system can keep it from forming a vacuum when cooling which is when the engine block and cooling system top off by pulling fluid from the reservoir!

Glad you found that. A tiny fleck of debris in the inner section of the cap is all it takes to cause issues!

So, whats next on the todo list?

KHarper4289

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes sir a faulty cap compromises the whole system. A tiny leak anywhere in the system can keep it from forming a vacuum when cooling which is when the engine block and cooling system top off by pulling fluid from the reservoir!

Glad you found that. A tiny fleck of debris in the inner section of the cap is all it takes to cause issues!

So, whats next on the todo list?

Brake rebuild + steel lines. Also, picked up some Metzeler M7 RR tires on that sale+rebate stack ($170 for the set). They are supposed to be pretty sweet in the rain, and are a track day favorite.

After that.. I'm running out of stuff to do to this bike!

My cooling is a bit odd now. I think it may be normal as Engine Ice is much more viscous than the coolant I removed from the bike. It reaches 120ish in about 1/2 the time it used to, and it jumps around in traffic a good bit. 148...158...167...150...etc. However, it does indeed run about 10 degrees cooler than it used to. At 50-60 mph at 8-10k RPM I'm sitting at 170-180 instead of 190 (I use Skyline Blvd as my testing rounds).