Body Weight vs. Shock Setting

O

Officerjive

I just did this today, and I haven't put many miles on it, but it feels great, and not too rough bouncing over the speed bumps.

I'm frustrated, I have a brand new tire and a fresh suspension adjustment to try out, but I cant go ride.
I lost a contact lens (the last one of a year's supply) and the new ones are ordered, but a week away. My back-up glasses are so old I cant see, I'd be like a blind old lady out there.

H

HavBlue

I just did this today, and I haven't put many miles on it, but it feels great, and not too rough bouncing over the speed bumps.

I'm frustrated, I have a brand new tire and a fresh suspension adjustment to try out, but I cant go ride.
I lost a contact lens (the last one of a year's supply) and the new ones are ordered, but a week away. My back-up glasses are so old I cant see, I'd be like a blind old lady out there.

I keep forgetting you city folks have them speed bump things....

O

Officerjive

Yep, lots of speed bumps, aka tourists.

Just kidding, sort of.

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
I found this thread through the "search" feature, and have to say that this has been a great and very useful thread. When I first got my '07 FZ6, I found the stock setting just a little too stiff, and moved the setting down to 2(I'm a lightweight). Now that I've added Givi top- and side cases, I found the bike tended to wallow in curves. This thread gave me a sense of where I should set the rear preload. The Givi mounting hardware and cases have added a lot of weight over the rear wheel, so I've moved the preload up to 4 and will go for a 900 mile test-ride over Labor Day Weekend.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i made the adjustments without the extension handle, weigh 230lbs and have been very happy with the 5 setting, i might crank it up for my upcoming track day, but for now 5 seems good.

corekneelius

Reaction score
Visit site
im going to give you my humble opinion...

rode around 750 miles set on one...she rode like a caddy, especially with my girl on back...

less than a week ago adjusted to 7 just for sh!ts and giggles and i must say it feels so much tighter now through accell and ALL twisties (given i sometimes ride like im running from death itself) andi just feel safer in general during "aggressive ;)" riding (agressive riding=posted speed for turn is 30, im doing as close to 100 as possible) *******please everyone spare me your wise tales of safety on public roads, these roads are all but deserted and i ride them nearly every weekend, i take note of every new pothole/crack/difference in the road on the way out (taking easy speed), then on the return ride is when i rip it up

either way, try the ends of the spectrum, i am sure you will find something in between...i am 215 6'2'' with my girl we might way 320 soaking wet with gear

anyways...trial and error my friend every bike is different no matter what the model

karmageddon14

only you can stop winter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My rear shock is still set at the factory \"3\" position.
I weigh 175 lbs and can't really say that I've had any issues with my bike's handling. I have felt a little bit of \"twitchiness\" in the rear once in a while, but I can't decide if it's the suspension or the OEM Dunlop tires. My money's on the Dunlops being the culprit.

yeah, i've experienced that twitchiness a few times over the last few weeks - i'm hoping that it's road conditions (or maybe tires) and not the way i'm riding.

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
After reading all of the responses on the shock setting, I finally decided to see what mine was set at, and make any necessary adjustments. Well, it was set at the factory setting of 3, obviously. Being that I'm 6', 220 lbs, I figured that I'd push it up to 5 based on what others have stated. How did it ride? It was almost like riding a different/new bike! It felt tighter going around corners (which I did expect), but I was most surprised that it felt better when I accelerated (which I did not expect). Zzzzipppp-POW!!! :D

I've always enjoyed riding my bike, but today, after adjusting the shock setting, I had a blast! :rockon:

X