Bought a used track bike, what should I be ready for?

ricecows

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I recently bought this FZ6 N from 2005, as my first bike.
KcHyBnx.jpg

It's been used for riding on the track and has done 26000 KM (16000 miles). I test rode it and it runs smooth.

What should I be aware of when riding this? As in, what might possible break when I'm riding around. Just so I'm a bit prepared and know what to look out for :)

It has Power Commander 5, crash pads, flip-up levers, clip ons, steel braided brake lines, new battery and new chain kit and a different headlight.
Maybe someone can identify what else isn't stock, based on this picture?

I could also use a bit of tips for mods. I need new mirrors (stock came with, but they look so dull) and indicators, but not sure what would fit the style of this bike, or where to look!

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The upper trple clamp is modded or not stock. A stock upper and bars would make the bike CONSIDERABLY more COMFY for a more upright seating option.

The handle bars stock bolt to the top of the triple(Not nearly such a "lay down bike").

Rear passenger grab bar is missing, of curse the directionals (can be found used here pretty easily). Can't tell if the tag light is there or not-(needed for street use)

The bike itself is pretty bullet proof overall. Keep the chain clean, well lubed and adjusted as well as the clutch cable.

Its not due for a valve check until 26,600 miles, however if its been on the track most of its life, I'd probably do a valve chek sooner.

I have bar risers/bars on mine but you can see the stock triple below;

PM sent as well..

Double click to enlarge pic's

Last edited:

ricecows

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Scott!

So seems like I shouldn't be too worried.

Glad you could help me out!

I have some more pics from the advert here:

S3eMDt4.jpg

QscAc0a.jpg

bPmfcgp.jpg

The upper trple clamp is modded or not stock.
Rear passenger grab bar is missing, of curse the directionals (can be found used here pretty easily). Can't tell if the tag light is there or not-(needed for street use)

The bike itself is pretty bullet proof overall. Keep the chain clean, well lubed and adjusted as well as the clutch cable.

Its not due for a valve check until 26,600 miles, however if its been on the track most of its life, I'd probably do a valve chek sooner.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your welcome...

BTW, for a track bike, I'm curious if he modded what appears to be the stock mufler which is MUCH HEAVIER and restrictive than after market pipes.

IMO, once you have some extra $, invest in a set of mufflers. They really wake the bike up, won't sound like a sewing maching and with the PC installed, will help with performance..

I have open Scorps, not too loud at lower RPM's, flat screams above 8,000 RPM's..

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't agree more about the pipes. Best purchase I've made to date. The bike isn't too loud for regular riding, but screams is probably the only word to describe the bike up around the redline.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
In an attempt to not hijack your thread, a well maintained track bike should serve you well as a street bike. Nothing out of the normal except good preventive maintenance. If the suspension has been modded, it may be a little stiff for street use but rider weight will impact performance as well.

On to my hijack - y'all that have done exhaust mods like slip-ons, full systems, etc., has anyone done dyno runs before and after? Just wondering after reading about it being a 'screamer' now, what the HP and torque increases might be. Anyone have that kind of data?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
In an attempt to not hijack your thread, a well maintained track bike should serve you well as a street bike. Nothing out of the normal except good preventive maintenance. If the suspension has been modded, it may be a little stiff for street use but rider weight will impact performance as well.

On to my hijack - y'all that have done exhaust mods like slip-ons, full systems, etc., has anyone done dyno runs before and after? Just wondering after reading about it being a 'screamer' now, what the HP and torque increases might be. Anyone have that kind of data?
I don't have data, but the effects of increased airflow inside an engine are well known. If you get a new exhaust and don't change anything else, you will see minimum gains in HP and torque. It's once you do things like the airbox mod, and increase fuel delivery that you start to see the biggest gains. I mean, an engine is just a big air pump after all. Increasing the exhaust flow only makes a difference if you can increase the intake flow as well. Once those conditions are created, more oxygen is available to burn and you can add more fuel to get more power.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
The guy just bought his first bike, and you're telling him to buy an exhaust. :shakehead:

Congrats on the purchase, OP. Do you have a good quality helmet? Good riding jacket? Good riding pants? Good riding boots? Good riding gloves? It always amazes me how people will spend $5000 on a motorcycle, then another $500 on an exhaust... but a $200 helmet or a $200 pair of protective riding boots is too expensive. Spend your money on good riding gear first, which will last you many years, then worry about mods later.

In my opinion, the best mods are ones that allow you to ride more/longer (comfort mods, new seat/handlebar/windscreen, etc) or more often (heated grips, luggage, upgraded headlights, etc).

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
The guy just bought his first bike, and you're telling him to buy an exhaust. :shakehead:

Congrats on the purchase, OP. Do you have a good quality helmet? Good riding jacket? Good riding pants? Good riding boots? Good riding gloves? It always amazes me how people will spend $5000 on a motorcycle, then another $500 on an exhaust... but a $200 helmet or a $200 pair of protective riding boots is too expensive. Spend your money on good riding gear first, which will last you many years, then worry about mods later.

In my opinion, the best mods are ones that allow you to ride more/longer (comfort mods, new seat/handlebar/windscreen, etc) or more often (heated grips, luggage, upgraded headlights, etc).
Good track gear is a very important to get, but I doubt he's going to put heated grips and a touring windscreen on a track bike. That's why the exhaust was suggested. Track riding gear, then performance mods is probably the best route to take.

ricecows

Reaction score
Visit site

Hey man. Yeah I sport an AGV Horizon, Dianese C2 leathers and some unknown gloves (was the best fit for me), Dianese touring boots and I use my spine protector from my skiing gear.

And won't get an exhaust right away. First I need mirrors and indicators :-D And then I'll look into setting the suspension right etc. :)

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Good track gear is a very important to get, but I doubt he's going to put heated grips and a touring windscreen on a track bike. That's why the exhaust was suggested. Track riding gear, then performance mods is probably the best route to take.
He bought a bike which was previously a track bike - if I read correctly, he intends to use it as a street bike, as he mentioned he will be "riding around" and wants to replace the mirrors.

ricecows

Reaction score
Visit site
He bought a bike which was previously a track bike - if I read correctly, he intends to use it as a street bike, as he mentioned he will be "riding around" and wants to replace the mirrors.

Yes exactly, I'm going to ride it on the streets :) I'm sorry if it's not clear, English is not my first language.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah, I misread that. Completely changes the course of action!

-Safe riding gear
-Signals and mirrors (and any other safety equipment)
-Then performance mods

ricecows

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah, I misread that. Completely changes the course of action!

-Safe riding gear
-Signals and mirrors (and any other safety equipment)
-Then performance mods

Do you have any recommendations for websites where I can browse for mirrors and indicator lights?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have any recommendations for websites where I can browse for mirrors and indicator lights?

I've never bought mirrors and signals before. Well that's not true. I ordered all the parts for my naked bike conversion, but I'm currently at school and haven't been able to see any of the parts. I buy parts from motorcycle-superstore.com, but I also buy from other places as well. I bought my mirrors (and handlebar mounts) from ebay.

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
Does that rear sprocket look bigger than stock to anyone?
That's what I would use for faster acceleration instead of going down on front.
Just looks like more than 46 teeth to me.
Could be wrong,been wrong before and will be again!
:cool:
Rich

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does that rear sprocket look bigger than stock to anyone?
That's what I would use for faster acceleration instead of going down on front.
Just looks like more than 46 teeth to me.
Could be wrong,been wrong before and will be again!
:cool:
Rich

It certainly is Rich!! Good catch!

He has an extension on the black, plastic chain guard raising it (at the rear, looks like aluminum)..

For the op, you may want to go back to a stock rear sprocket, (or close to it). That thing will be a wheelie monster and rev VERY QUICKLY, (mileage will suck too)

ricecows

Reaction score
Visit site
It certainly is Rich!! Good catch!

He has an extension on the black, plastic chain guard raising it (at the rear, looks like aluminum)..

For the op, you may want to go back to a stock rear sprocket, (or close to it). That thing will be a wheelie monster and rev VERY QUICKLY, (mileage will suck too)

You guys are amazing! Thanks.

How much work would go into changing that? Thinking about just asking the dealer to put a 46 teeth rear sprocket on.

Just for reference, how many teeth is there on the stock front sprocket? (Not near my manual right now).

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys are amazing! Thanks.

How much work would go into changing that? Thinking about just asking the dealer to put a 46 teeth rear sprocket on.

Just for reference, how many teeth is there on the stock front sprocket? (Not near my manual right now).

16 is the stock front, 46 the rear;

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2005 FZ6 - FZ6ST REAR WHEEL Diagram

Re changing the sprocket, removing the rear wheel, 6 nuts to R&R the sprocket, they'll have to shorten that chain up a bit.

Related and worth the read; http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/53487-rear-sprocket-carrier-failed-studs.html

IMO, I would stick with the 530 chain(118 links), it won't stretch as much as a 520 although slightly heavier..

Last edited:

ricecows

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, figured I would update you on my bike.

Had it at the dealer today, and we went through the bike (with the help from your input, thanks again!). The front sprocket is geared so it fits with the rear, so the gearing is very close to normal (it's a different chain, and for some reasons I can't explain, this was the way to go compared to stock sprockets).

The rear indicator is actually part of the rear light! It's an LED light that is red when riding and brighter red when braking, and when the indicator is turned on, 1/3 of either the right/left side of the light flashes yellow. Pretty similar to this one It's not reaaaaally street legal, but it just looks so sweet :)

I rode my last ride today without mirrors, but planning on flipping through the Rizoma catalogue come January, when they get a new line up (to either get an old model cheaper, or a new model that looks more awesome!).

The bike is now at the dealer for winter maintenance and storage, and picking her up in march (the season ends here in Denmark soon, and it's rain for next two weeks.. Aaand I have exams coming up :) ).

The bike runs super nice, and I am really happy with my purchase. I do think I need to get a new pair of pegs (they are not identical on right/left side, and I didn't like the feel of the left one. My feet seems to slip a little on down shifting).

Thank you all for your help so far, I expect more questions will come later! :)

4Af23ki.jpg

Shot from my last ride

Last edited: