Brake light issue

atticuss66

Reaction score
Visit site
It would see that when I apply my brakes my brake light doesn't work, or the light may be stuck on, not too sure as the bike is new to me.

I have tried to adjust the rear brake switch, that didn't help. Tail Light is a LED aftermarket one.

Any suggestions????

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I would start by taking the tail light out of the equation first, given that it is an after market one. So disconnect the tail light and test it separately to know whether the brake light works on the LED unit.

To disconnect your tail light - remove the seat, remove left tail fairing, there will be a 3 wires connector going to the tail light. Disconnect it. You can test the brake light by connecting the white wire (i think) that's coming from the tail light to the +ve end and the black to the -ve end of a battery. A 9v square battery will do the job for testing. I would tend to think that your after market tail light is faulty here.

If the tail light is not at fault, then you will have to check the brake switches again. Also use a voltmeter on the tail light connector, but this time the one coming from the harness. See if you get voltage when you press on the brakes.

Keep us posted.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your OEM tail light circuit has two 12 VDC connections. One circuit is your running light circuit that turns on as soon as the key is on. The other signal is your brake light signal. Do you have two contacts at the bottom of your LED replacement lamp? There should be two contacts at the bottom of the light and the bayonet provides the ground for both those signals. The configuration replacement is for the dual filament 1157 type lamp. :)

atticuss66

Reaction score
Visit site
I will play with this after the week-end. I will check both contacts to see wat is powering up. If it is a bulb 1157 led type would work .

Ragnar

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally got a chance to look at it last night and it turns out it was just a fuse. Lucky break for sure.

Now your next step is to solve the problem which led to the fuse blowing so it doesn't happen again and you get rear ended.

lrojasma

Reaction score
Visit site
Fuse blowing without knowing the reason is a pain in the ass.

Right now i have a stop light fuse blowing problem and i haven´t figure it out.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Related, but slightly off topic (may be moot if you have a short in your system too).

Being the FZ has only ONE tail light, should a filiment/bulb burn out, you have NO TAIL LIGHTS...

I'd strongly suggest (once your issue is resolved) a Hyperlite installed on the rear (running/flashing brake LED). They are super bright and barely pull any current: Hyperlites Flashing LED Motorcycle brake lights, Running Lights and Turn Signal

I have a single unit installed just above the tag and its plenty bright. My friend had TWO of them installed on his bike, IMHO, it was too bright.

In the many years of owned them on ALL my bikes (my spare one is on my SUV) I've had one issue where the controller would work intermediatly. The unit was close to 10 years old... A call to Hyperlites, a new controller was in the mail, NO questions as of the age, when I bought it, etc, EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Its attached just above the tag, below the tag light (I did have to move the reflector up slightly-used marine silicone)

Last edited: