Building a shed (Diy)

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been making a shed, like a small garage these days. I bought a small arc welding machine and put some steel profiles, wood and concrete together.

Just like in the model below:

qYGOgq.jpg

NqZRYQ.jpg

And the real photographs:

g5OMdN.jpg

rQOzWP.jpg

7k639l.jpg

94mZ68.jpg

VVr1lR.jpg

Now i plan to make some 6cm thin raw reinforced concrete walls between steel box profiles. I can make the concrete in three horizantal phases with 60cmx170cm plywood formwork. Welded the mesh reinforcement between profiles. Ready for formwork.

1yJlYb.jpg

PqlZ5b.jpg

I also bought a sander to use as a vibrator for concrete to settle nice.

Hirdavat_4328138.jpg

I'll use some plastic piping to bolt plywoods together as tie rods.

images

I need some kind of oil for formwork not to stick on the concrete,
I hope it goes well. Any thoughts :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good!!!

I save at least 1 gallon of old engine old just for that purpose. Brush it on the forms, pops right off. A oil recycle place might give you some if you go that route.. Having a helper, when you pour the concrete, with a thin stick(or a piece of re-bar), shoving it up and down as you pour also helps get air bubbles out.

Those horozontal wood pieces with the threaded verticle rod, does that just get painted or you closing that off too with maybe finished plywood, etc?

Got the hang of the arc welder huh?

Last edited:

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you just doing your own concrete out of a bag? looks to me like a bit of a tight area, could be worth going with a high MPa grout, it'll be as tough as concrete, look good when the forms are off, and will flow into that relatively tight space nicer. I guess it depends on the aggregate gradation in whatever concrete you were thinking of going with.

On construction sites (I was an inspector) they go with either adding a SP additive (super plasticizer) or just a high MPa grout when doing a complex pour. Some people go with giving the raw concrete a bit of a drink to loosen things up, this can work but being in the civil field I know what goes into mix designs and why the correct water ratios are important.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks cool!
I don't understand what your using the plywood with plastic pipe for tying on, but keep in mind that certain plastics can degrade quickly over time from sun light, oxidation and other elements. You might reconsider if your using this in a structural capacity for longevity and safety. :)

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks cool!
I don't understand what your using the plywood with plastic pipe for tying on, but keep in mind that certain plastics can degrade quickly over time from sun light, oxidation and other elements. You might reconsider if your using this in a structural capacity for longevity and safety. :)
It's for holding the formwork together, usually it's a threaded steel rod with a plastic nut type thing on the end that gets taken out when the concrete is cured, it's why you see the evenly spaced holes in finished concrete structures. It stops the forms from bowing out when they're filled.

if I understand how he's planning on using the plastic pipes they should be hidden from the elements for the most part, I would recommend going for steel though then cutting the ends sticking out after, threaded rod would give a bit extra strength, not that there's really any forces acting in the direction it adds stability to

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm after a clean looking concrete wall like this:

Unused_cladding_holes_-_east_facade_-_J_Edgar_Hoover_Building_-_Washington_DC_-_2012.jpg

Thanks for the answers.

Scott, are you sure about old engine oil? I wonder if black oil can change the colour of the surface. I'll use the sander as concrete vibrator by the way.

Horizontal wood pieces with the threaded verticle rods are done. They are outdoor garage doors. Working nice. Addicted to welding, but distracting my eyes a bit. At second day of welding, i woke up at midnight with a pain in the eyes, I put some patatoes on my eyes as i heart from experienced welders. And pain got away.

I'll prepare the concrete by myself. I have cement small gravel(10mm) & sand mix. Thickness is tight like 6cm but not impossible. Needs some workmanship. I also bought a concrete bonding and water insulation chemical, i hope it works.

29py9uh.jpg

These are home made tie rods to hold formworks together without any external support. Plastic pipes will stay inside the concrete. I guess i don't need any other wooden supports, just the plywood itself can carry that 6cm/ 55cm concrete pressure.

j56Wbn.jpg

28rd4bl.jpg

Formwork preperation for a nice concrete finish. I used wooden laths for joints.

2ga9zj.jpg

I'll keep posting.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've used oil before without issue. Its not like your mixing it with the concrete, the water in the concrete migrates outwards (or to the surface) as it drys.

I'm not sure how / if the base of the concrete wall will be connected, but something to consider.

Drill into whatever the walls going to rest on and put some re-bar into the ground, driveway(etc) sticking up. Tie it to your frame work. It'll strengthen it up and is cheap to do.

On any visable corners, put a strip 1/4 wood molding INSIDE (reverse contour) the corner of the wall (hail to the wood form). When you pull the forms, you'll have a nice professional loking, roundish corner.

If you don't have any electrical outlets nearby, you may want to consider putting an outlet set in the concrete(again set up against the forms) with some conduit out.

And lastly, whats very popular down here (with concrete block houses) is concrete stucco. Goes on fairly thin (no rocks), and you "knock it down" giving it a nice finish. It'll hide those holes if you want to get rid of them too...

Just some idea's to play with it.. :thumbup:

Have fun!

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
:rolleyes: I don't know if it will be strong or not, i just want the raw concrete look without any holes. Sanding machine didn't work as it should. I used a stick and some hammering to plywood.

I finished concrete work at last.

Mixture ratios:

-10 unit sand-gravel mix
-2 unit cement
-2 unit water
-some chemical that helps to bond all together and also makes water insulation.

zAjJkj.jpg

yM6zaj.jpg

Oqvy6D.jpg

ZDXOoV.jpg

GYmyAZ.jpg

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
First level concrete results :D

JYVE45.jpg

GYZ15b.jpg

pg5Y9o.jpg

Very hard but worthy.
May be i can paint those white pipes to black not to catch eye.

Last edited:

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes i used wood trim, because i couldn't find plastic ones that narrow.

I used some waste motorcycle engine oil. Do you think it affects the wall surface colour? It looks a little bit dark but may be it gets ligther in time.
Forms come out very easily after 48 hours waiting. Everything seems ok.
So tomorrow i'll install the second floor ;)

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The darkness is the water in the concrete. As it drys, it'll get lighter.

Same as if you spray water on a concrete sidewalk, etc(un-painted). It soaks up the water and gets MUCH darker..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Any updates??

You got me into doing a small project I've been putting off for years.

I put this trellis up years ago (back of the house) and it was a bit plain. I looked at some designs on-line and ended up designing my own. Made a template, broke out the jig saw, sander and left over house paint..

A little bit neater I think..

Before pic's and after.

Double click to enlarge

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
concrete is looking so solid. congratz! Will come to visit you soon, maybe / may be in july :)

Also, I recommend to get away from animals when using chemicals. :spank:
That dog really annoyed me, luckly you're patient to animals :thumbup: