Built a flashing brake light, would like suggestions

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I need the opinions of the riders in this community.

I am a tinkerer, and my latest project is a brake-light flasher for FZ6’s with stock tail lights using LED bulbs. I am not doing this to make a commercially available product, I am just playing with micro controllers and learning circuit board design.

So here is my question: I want to arrive at a ‘behavior’ for the brake light. Currently, when the brakes are applied I have the unit flash the brake light very rapidly for about 1 second. It then goes solid for about 4 seconds, then pulses 4 times (slowly). This 4 second solid / 4 pulse cycle continues until the brakes are released. Regardless of where in the cycle the behavior is, releasing and reapplying the brakes restarts from the beginning.

So what do you think about the timings?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion, you are better off having your lights flash initially for more than 1 second, that's the most important time to get everyone's attention. After that, I think it should just remain solid, there is no need for it to flash again. And if you wanted to, all you would have to do is release and reapply the brake lever.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion, you are better off having your lights flash initially for more than 1 second, that's the most important time to get everyone's attention. After that, I think it should just remain solid, there is no need for it to flash again. And if you wanted to, all you would have to do is release and reapply the brake lever.

Thanks Kenny. My initial design had a 3 second flash, but it seemed too long. I am trying to find a compromise between grabbing the attention of a driver, with the possible annoyance of sitting behind me in traffic. I am replacing the motodynamic unit that the PO installed, which only flashes 3 times in about .5 seconds. My current code flashes 12 times in 1 second,

As for the delay and the pulse, my thinking goes to those vulnerable moments when you are the last vehicle at a light or in traffic. in these situations I am in first gear, clutch squeezed, eyes in the mirror waiting for someone to come up behind me. When I see someone approaching, I release and reapply the brakes to initiate the motodynamic flash. My design simply cycles constantly.

So again, I am not trying to reinvent the wheel, but I am going to build this thing and i figured I'd take the time to tap the collective knowledge of our community to see if there are better ideas for how much attention we can attract without being annoying.

The good news is that I am not done with the code yet so I can literally try anything. I have the unit wired to an FZ6 tail light assembly on my bench, so I get a real feel for the brightness and dispersion.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I second this. I think the motodynamic style is the least invasive to other drivers. It can be annoying when you are sitting in traffic with bright LED's flashing in your face consistently. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NziKGAakWlU

I have the motodynamic on the bike (installed by the PO), but I find the visibility deteriorates as you move off-center. Also, I don't think it is aggressive enough. I am trying to raise the 'attention-getting' higher, without getting into that annoying zone you mentioned,

With my design, if you are sitting in traffic and remain on the brakes, the lights will pulse 4 times with a 4 second gap between. I wanted to make sure that anyone approaching fro the rear will be exposed to at least 1 cycle.

Thanks for the input.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm also a LED circuit tinkerer. I've tried a handful of brake light modulators. My favorite flash pattern is the superbrightleds FL2S-10A module. Flashes 20x in 2 seconds, then constant on. It doesn't have the 4 second interval to annoy drivers behind me while stopped. If I'm stopped at a light and I see another car approaching behind me, I'll release the lever and reapply to do the quick flash to get their attention.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing could be brighter than getting behind a Cadillac (US vehicle)! Those blind you.

Anyway, agreed there is nuisance level and a keep alive level. 3 blinks over 2 to 3 seconds on first tap is good.
As stated, if I am tail end Charley I watch and start tapping and I'd guess it's something to the effect of twice per sec.

So, tap into the speed sensor so it knows if you're parked and then aim a wide area motion sensor out back that looks for change. If parked and change is detected, start flash sequence! :Flash:

Just an idea....

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing could be brighter than getting behind a Cadillac (US vehicle)! Those blind you.

Anyway, agreed there is nuisance level and a keep alive level. 3 blinks over 2 to 3 seconds on first tap is good.
As stated, if I am tail end Charley I watch and start tapping and I'd guess it's something to the effect of twice per sec.

So, tap into the speed sensor so it knows if you're parked and then aim a wide area motion sensor out back that looks for change. If parked and change is detected, start flash sequence! :Flash:

Just an idea....

As soon as I get my flux capacitor back from the shop..........
:)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With just one tail light stock, I like (and have) the Hyper Lites combo running / flashing brake light just above my tag.

So, IMO, the best of both worlds. A solid (stock) brake light, and a much brighter LED flashing, brake and solid running light.

Should your OEM bulb burn out, the Hyper lites do the same only brighter... You also have TWO separate lights for better visibility.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Should your OEM bulb burn out, the Hyper lites do the same only brighter... You also have TWO separate lights for better visibility.

Yup, my OEM brake/tail light burned out long time ago, but haven't even taken the time to get it working. Like Scott said, the Hyper Lites are much brighter and much more effective, and you have two. One on each side of the bike. Mine acts as running and modulating brake lights. Amazing that they are ten years old and still working like they were brand new.

RainCityRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe I have hyper light brake lights (purchased the bike with them). Despite having a couple of the leds burned out they are impressively bright and much better than the stock tail light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I prefer the single LED (my friend had duals and I personally found them TOO bright/ almost annoying when behind him.

I made a bracket, attached between tag and the fender with a tab the lite sticks to.

As a side note, this unit is at least a decade old. Maybe 4 years ago, half the LEDs stopped working
I called Hyper Lites and they replaced the broken unit, NO QUESTIONS asked (knowing it was well past warranty.

As a side note, after I sold my other bikes, I kept one of the flashing Hyper Lite brake lights.
It's currently installed on my Toyota 4-runner, under the hitch!

RainCityRider

Reaction score
Visit site
As a side note, this unit is at least a decade old. Maybe 4 years ago, half the LEDs stopped working
I called Hyper Lites and they replaced the broken unit, NO QUESTIONS asked (knowing it was well past warranty.

I'll have to give them a call and see if they'll replace one of mine.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scott, has your bike ever left your garage? So clean

Didn't ride today (had stuff to do) but rode yesterday and just about everyday. (almost all around town).

Rode into Ft Myers (next town over across the bridge) last week to pick up some Motul 5100 and changed that
out last week. Also safety drilled and safety wired the drain plug (just cause)...

It's my only bike, it's dry season down here and if rain's rollings in, I take the cage...

I park it in the shade if going to the store (the sun is REALLY HARD down here).

If I know it's going to be sitting outside (no shade), I use the "GEZA" gear stretchy cover..-There is
NO fading anywhere on the bike...

I do have to admit, probably every other ride,the brake calipers get a spritz of air from the air compressor
to the brake calipers(you'd be surprised how much dust comes out and I'm VERY easy on the brakes).

The wheels get a quick wipe down with a damp cloth and the fairing gets a sprtiz of spray wax (used to be Honda brand) if there's
any bugs / crap I klit!

As noted previously, this is by far, my favorite bike. (at least for my current usage). Now if I did more LD road trips (like 600 mile plus days)
I'd have a '16 FJR too... I don't so, the FZ gets treated very well....;)

My 2001 4 Runner (bought new) has 17,000 miles on it, the FZ, just over 23,000 miles. And I got the FZ in 2009 so that'd give you an idea.

Keeps my OCD in check!

BTW, in that pic above (from 2010), you can see my 05 KLR 250 in the back-round, and next to that(not seen) was my 04 FJR..Mileage was spread out between all three bikes at that time. The FZ was bought wrecked, to replace the KLR. which likes NEW left side crankshaft bearings EVERY 32,000 miles. It was getting old rebuilding it, thus the FZ. Fell in love with it, replaced EVERY
DAMAGED part (and mods of course), Never regretted it... (short of stupid 0 MPH tip overs that cost $600 just in parts so I'm ALOT more cautious)..

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Few pictures of the back but these stalks are run, brake, and blink. Thats three brake lights...

No pictures in operation...
IMG_0184C_zpsdqtwyfl5.jpg

Anything beyond a single source is an improvement. And get to work on the flux cap! :thumbup: