Burnt my legs on bike due to heatwave :-o

Fazrrr Girl

Reaction score
Visit site
So, it's 41 degrees c here in Melbourne today and I had no choice but to use the bike as it was booked in for its 1,000km service. They had left it out in the sun and it was absolutely roasting hot. The black frame and dark fuel tank were burning my thighs all the way home. Tried to keep them off the bike as much as possible, but some maneouvres I needed to grip the tank :eek: Now have two large red marks! :eek: 41 again tomorrow, and cooling down to 38 on Friday, so may have to resort to the car :(

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I know how you feel. They put our expected high temp up to 44 this morning. It was 44 in the shade at 11:30 this morning :eek:

I wouldn't get your hopes up for 38 on Friday, you'll get what we are having now... Find somewhere cool to hide :thumbup:

:)

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch!!! Not going to ask but what protection gear were you wearing?

Yes, been watching the AO tennis and the weather looks ridiculous. Should just move the tournament to outback and play on dirt.

Anytime when's it's over 85f/30c it's almost torture riding in gear.

FZ6 Tas

Reaction score
Visit site
It was a beautiful 24 degrees here today in Hobart or so the Weather people tell us. I'm getting to the stage where I think the equipment must be under the shade of a massive willow tree or something. Ran into some victorians riding around the state north of Hobart in a place called New Norfolk who also swore it was well over 30 too.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Were you wearing shorts?

I live in Las Vegas where the temps get brutally hot during the summer. Well over 40C many times, My bike sits in the sun all day at work, but I never had an issue getting burned. It gets scorchingly hot sometimes that it becomes very dangerous. You cannot ride in our heat with just sunglasses. It gets so hot that you need a dark smoke visor or a mirrored visor to protect your face. I'm sure you're conditons are the same down under. Believe it or not, those visors work very well. I wear full gear, inlcluding riding pants in the middle of summer. If you are not wearing protective gear, imagine hitting the pavement when it''s hot like that. Your road rash will become well done like a good piece of meat, as you lay on the ground in pain. So wear your gear. Don't fall into that peer pressure. As the saying goes, I'd rather sweat than bleed.

Silverback

MT Man!
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually got to 45.7 in Adelaide today....I thought you went to HELL AFTER you died, I was CLEARLY WRONG....Been taking the TRX to work instead of the MT coz at least it has a radiator to keep it cool....Never went over 80 degrees, I LOVE That OLD BEAST I DO

Fazrrr Girl

Reaction score
Visit site
Rest assured guys that I never go out riding in anything less than full gear. So today I was in leather jacket, gloves, biking boots and black Draggin Jeans. I also have camo Draggin Jeans and Dainese leather pants. If it's too hot to wear the gear then I don't ride. I was seriously wondering if there was something wrong with my bike because the frame did not cool down one iota during the whole 25km ride home, even though a lot of it was at between 60 and 70km/h.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps we should exchange the weather for a week or 2. The forecast here in Belgium for the coming week are temperatures around 0°C. :)

I'll swap you , only got to a nice warm 30 here in Brissy today :D....0 sounds awesome , i love riding in the cold..........And the heat and the rain and the fog , ohh i just love riding :thumbup:

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site
Auch :(

:needpics:

;)

But seriously, 41 degrees Celcius that's frikkin amazing. I can imagine that you don't wear protective gear in those temps. I've been riding with gear in 31 degrees, that's bearable while your riding, but when you have to stop for the lights the sweats starts gushing.

Funny to see that the people in the hot temps. want to trade for the freezing temps. and the other way round. The grass is alway greener at the other side, or browner if wer'e talking 41 dregrees! I would be happy with a nice 20, instead of the around freezing we have now.

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
Auch :(

:needpics:

;)

But seriously, 41 degrees Celcius that's frikkin amazing. I can imagine that you don't wear protective gear in those temps. I've been riding with gear in 31 degrees, that's bearable while your riding, but when you have to stop for the lights the sweats starts gushing.

Funny to see that the people in the hot temps. want to trade for the freezing temps. and the other way round. The grass is alway greener at the other side, or browner if wer'e talking 41 dregrees! I would be happy with a nice 20, instead of the around freezing we have now.

It is actually not the coldness that stops me from riding. It's the salt on the roads!!! So now I still ride because they didn't put salt on the roads last weeks and it has been raining so I guess most of it will be gone now. But the weatherforecast says that it will be freezing again at night next week, so there will be salt again...

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What temperatures do you have in june? Than it is here about 25°C. :) I hope it will be june fast. :D

June is the start of our winter so up here in Brissy we get a top range of 17-24 , just perfect :thumbup:....Out west where i live thought we get down to -6 in the mornings but it warms up nicely :D

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site
Me neither, I have more problems with rain than with cold.

Seriously no salt on the road in Belgium these days? The roads overhere are literally white of all the salt they put on. That's why i'm riding the 22 year old old Grandpa of our Fazers, my FJ 600 during the winter, which is covered in grease and tectyl: http://www.motorstek.nl/download/30082/47d1737781a270ad51b31819ee0e2d7b/large

To go back to the scorching heat, I've also seen salt in the roads during summer, to protect that really black asphalt from melting. Really weird :confused: Isn't that another problem in Australia these days, melting tarmac?

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup. Pulled up on our ride to Lobethal on the weekend, went and got a drink, came back to the bike and the sidestand was sinking into the tarmac :eek:

And to top it off now, it's currently 34 degrees C, 10pm and there's a lightning show happeneing out the the north-west??? Weird weather indeed.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup. Pulled up on our ride to Lobethal on the weekend, went and got a drink, came back to the bike and the sidestand was sinking into the tarmac :eek:

And to top it off now, it's currently 34 degrees C, 10pm and there's a lightning show happeneing out the the north-west??? Weird weather indeed.

Dont know where you guys live but i hope its on it way :thumbup:
128 km Adelaide (Buckland Park) Radar Loop

W

wrightme43

Most of the picture links are down. Still read this.

Road Rash

When its to hot to ride with gear, its to hot to ride without gear.