Camping with passenger on our FZ6.

Serzedo

Reaction score
www.mototurismoadois.pt.vu
Yup... just like the title says!

I like camping, but I refuse to put a top-case on my Fazer, the rear is way too pretty for that... so how can I go camping with my girlfriend and carry the tent and the sleep bags? We don't have side bags for the moment, I'm trying to buy ones that can be easily bolted and taken off when I want without much trouble. A friend of mine showed me some brand that had what I want (regarding side lugagge), but they cost some money that I don't have for now.

So, with side bags and no top-case, how do you carry a tent and sleep bags? Any photos?

"V"

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
So, you don't mind making things ugly with a bunch of stuff on your bike, but you can put on a temporary case? Alrighty then.
Well, unless you got a small tent, you wont be using 1 of those. If you are set on a tent, you will need to get a model that really compacts down. In fact, everything will need to be very compact, especially if you have no cases. Decent cases will run anywhere from $100 - 500, all depends on brand, size and design. Hope she has her own bike too. The fz can only carry so much weight and only has so much room. You must remember that you need to distribute your weight, side-side, front-back.

Now, if I were doing it, hammock tenting with gathered end hammocks is the way to go. Those stow into a very small space and weigh very little. Pack in a tarp, which is also very small, and you save a lot of weight and size.

Last edited:

Serzedo

Reaction score
The problem with top-cases are the racks (and the looks of them on the FZ6), even if you remove the top-case the rack will remain there and isn't easy to remove, the side cases there is a system that you can remove in under 5 minutes and put them in just about the same time they are from SW-Motech and use the Quick-Lock system and you barely notice them.

Usually my girlfriend carries a back pack with the light stuff and the tank bag gets the heavy stuff.

"V"

gonnacrash

Reaction score
Visit site
Research Hennessy hammocks. Yes they are one person but they are a complete shelter system that packs to the size of a volley ball, or smaller, and some weigh under 2 lbs.

Serzedo

Reaction score
I know that there are two persons tents that wheight less than 3kg from Vango, they also get a small size when inside the bag (I recall they would fit inside a 42lt top-case with space left), but yet I will be having problem with the sleeping bags (or better, where to fit them) because my army one is a bit big and my girlfriend isn't so big but they are both for more cold times.

"V"

Last edited:

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
I got an ATV/ 4 wheeler back bag for 5 bucks at a garage sale. may want to look into one of these as your girlfriend will still have a spot to sit with it on plus a bit of padding =p
You can put things in the bags and stack stuff up, won't be pretty but it will get the job done.

20150821_191147.jpg20150821_191221.jpg

obviously you can tie the straps up i just threw it on the bike for the pics

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've taken a few 3, 4, and 5-day camping trips on Fizzer, but didn't have a GF at the time. It was tight, don't quite see how you can do it on a Fizzer with a partner.

Serzedo

Reaction score
Nice. Thanks for the reply guys. ;)

Love that seems very interesting, never thought of that... Yes it isn't pretty but it won't be there for too long and it isn't hard to get out like the top case bars and rack.

"V"

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
ae6e28177a24a1bde784a5c4ab367f2a.jpg

I totally understand not wanting a topbox on our bike, they're hideous. This pic is of my latest trip, solo. To add a pillion, the tent and fold up stool get lashed to the top of the soft panniers (kinda sitting under the grab rails). You'll want an expanding magnetic tank bag. Mine is from Oxford and only cost £30. Can cram it full of gear and still see the clocks over the top. I usually stash the inflatable mattress and kitchen wear up front, under the ready use bike kit (maps, rain suits, bottled water), then we get a pannier each. Each one easily holds a sleeping bag in a compression sack, and has space for a weekends worth of kit. You do have decide on the lesser of two evils though: we've generally got space for a different pair of shoes each, or a different jacket. I usually take boots and wear my bike jacket. The Mrs usually goes the other way.

Serzedo

Reaction score
Now we are talking. ;)

Clothes aren't an issue, we just went for a five day trip with nothing more than a backpack and the expandable tank bag, we still had space for more things.

Didn't knew the soft bags could handle that weight.

"V"

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
They do sag slightly when they're fully expanded out, so I put a bungie across the pillion seat between the luggage handles, or lash them to the grab rails (the Mrs prefers holding on to me, which frees up some space for straps and rope etc). There was talk I believe of some kind of mod involving a broom handle or pipe or something to act as a DIY rack, but I've never bothered.