Canyon riding Boots for warm climate

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now I dislike my old boots, and start looking for new ones. Not in a rush, waiting maybe for a sale, etc...

I will like to get something with full protection, less Waterproof and more Ventilated, for the weather here, something like this (select the Black Vented from color):
S-MX R Boot - Alpinestars Official Store

My first priorities are:
- good protection
- good ventilation (South California)
- comfort when riding
- easy in & out

Second priorities:
- comfort when walking
- color (not too flashy)
- price

What do you guys recommend, and why?

Thanks in advance,
razteo

I have used the Oxtar (now TCX) Airtech XCR boots for 2 years of daily commuting in hot & humid Houston. I would definitely recommend them. They have been around long enough to get clearance deals here & there.

They are ventilated & still waterproof.

I've recently picked up the less expensive sibling of the SMX-R, the vented SMX5 from Alpinestars. Around the house they are as comfortable as new boots can be. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to try them out on the bike yet. Hopefully, tomorrow I'll be making a nice 200+ mile day of it in my new gear and can let you know how they vent.

I just got back in a little while ago from a nice 4 hour ride in the SMX5 boots. To give you some perspective, it was only about 82F today for most of my ride, unseasonably cool for East Tennessee in August. So take this review with that in mind.

The good thing is that in the 4 hours I was on the bike, I never once thought of my feet. That means there was no discomfort either with the fit or the temperature. These are the first motorcycle boots I have worn so I really don't have much to compare it to, but once I got used to the size I never gave them a second thought. I used to ride in hiking boots, so these are considerably larger and stiffer than my usual gear. That being said, after the first half hour the boots felt almost as natural as my Timberland boots.
The venting is good, but nothing that's going to astound you. Never once was my feet hot or uncomfortable over the course of my ride. In fact once I got the boots off, my feet had hardly sweated at all. While the venting is not something you will actively notice, it obviously works. Considering the added safety and comfort, I don't regret spending the money for them. The SMX-R have better ankle support, but given the difference in price I am very pleased with the SMX-5s I bought.

Hope this helps some. The sizing is almost identical to the SMX-R boots, so if you have tried on a pair of those you have a very good idea of which size you will need in the others.

I've got the older version of that boot and really like them. If I was buying them again I'd get the perf version for the heat. They have great grip on the pegs and provide good feel of what the bike is doing. Excellent protection for your feet in the event of a crash too.

Considering the added safety and comfort, I don't regret spending the money for them. The SMX-R have better ankle support, but given the difference in price I am very pleased with the SMX-5s I bought.

Hope this helps some. The sizing is almost identical to the SMX-R boots, so if you have tried on a pair of those you have a very good idea of which size you will need in the others.

Thank you.
Now I am pretty sure I will get them!
I went today to the store & try on the SMX-R to find out my size & I can tell you they are VERY comfortable, I was almost ready to get them :) but I resist the temptation & I will get online the SMX-5s (now I know exactly my size).
I have a comfortable shorter pair of motorcycle boots right now (Fuel) and I was amazed to see the SMX-R to be as comfortable as my old boots.
Thank you for your input & I'll keep you posted. The store I want to buy them from (online) have a big sale in 1 week, probably I will get them then.

razteo

I was looking at those getting the boots too. Mind if I ask what online store you are looking at getting them from? The best price I have seen is $220 for them.

razteo: I looked at the SMX-Rs as well. I agree they are very comfortable and feel extremely safe. If I was in the habit of going to track days I would definitely consider them. However, for the twisties I ride and the speeds I ride, the SMX-5 should work out well. I spent another 3 hours in them Sunday and still have only good things to say about them.

runforfun7: I paid $220 for mine from Motorcycle Superstore. A* appears to be pretty particular on keeping their prices at MSRP. It doesn't seem to matter which web site I looked at the prices were consistant on all A* products. If you can get them for less, I'd jump on it.

I was looking at those getting the boots too. Mind if I ask what online store you are looking at getting them from? The best price I have seen is $220 for them.

I saw them at the Cycle Gear, but only online, not available in the store next to me so I wasn't able to see & try them on.
Problem is Cycle Gear only have the black ones & don't offer the ventilated model.

Try also this online store: Alpinestars S-MX 5 Boots - Read Reviews and Buy at KneeDraggers.com
They have all the colors & models and if the boots don't fit well they will exchange for free. I may get mine from here finally.

Everywhere the price is $219 w/ free shipping.

Back