Center stand technique

pjstud1v

n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
This is something I need to practice. I never had a center stand on my last bike, so I was going to post up and ask how to use it. When I tried before I kept hitting the sidestand and then sort of gave up. Looks like I'll have something to try tonight.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I just tried this yesterday and it works great!!!!!
First I was only holding the bike (without the side stand). Then I used the side stand first and then the center stand.

I'll have to try again the center stand while sitting on the bike!!!!!

MaxRyan

Reaction score
Visit site
I assume my technique is ok, i learned on my vmax. The first time i put the FZ on the stand it was like i was lifting nothing :D

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Some key points to help...

- It's all TECHNIQUE, not brute strength! When you place your right foot onto the ceter stand foot pad, simply "stand up" and transfer your weight onto the foot pad (your right leg).

- Make sure BOTH of the center stand's 'feet' are down on the pavement first! This might involve rocking the bike side to side to feel when the right side foot is down. Trying to get the bike onto the center stand with only one foot down (usully the left one) just makes things more difficult.

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Huh? How the heck do you get the bike onto the center stand while SITTING on it??

I too am curious about this!

I'm big (6'4, 285lbs) and I haven't been able to do it while sitting on it. Even with my size, without the technique, it was extremely hard to do. Now that I know to just put my right foot on the centerstand peg, it goes up very very easily. Technique is key, but I'm sure having some weight and leverage behind it doesn't hurt.

Please take a video of putting it on the centerstand while sitting on it. I'd like to learn how to do it!

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have always had bikes with centrestands so I guess that's why I don't understand the struggle. Right foot on the stand, right hand on the grab rail, left hand on the bars, press down with foot and pull straight up with right hand... done.

Getting off is one of two methods, I stand next to the bike and rock it off, or sit on it, start it, pop it in gear, stand on the pegs and rock it forward, then as it lands drop the clutch and go! :rockon:

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
At 5'5" and 115 lb's, I can safely say height / weight isn't an excuse to not be able to get 'er up on the stand, nor take 'er down while seated -- and I have a full set of givi's on it, which adds a good bit of weight.

To get her down, I sit on the bike, turn the key to free the bars (but not to the ON position), put my feet on the pegs, then rock it back and forth until it keels over frontwards off the stand. Then I pop my feet down and gently grab the brake... bada bing.

jeff in ohio

Reaction score
Visit site
Huh? How the heck do you get the bike onto the center stand while SITTING on it??

easy enough....straddle bike....with left foot deploy centerstand so that both sides touch the ground. with your hands holding the bars straight and leaning forward, stand on the centerstand with your left foot, your ass off the seat and your right leg pointing backwards. in one smooth motion, push down hard on the stand with your left foot, swing your right leg forward while jerking back and up on the bars.....

when you get good at it, like this guy, you will not even need to do the right leg swing thing....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kPLoihXQgc]YouTube - CBR1100XX Centerstand Technique[/ame]

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
easy enough....straddle bike....with left foot deploy centerstand so that both sides touch the ground. with your hands holding the bars straight and leaning forward, stand on the centerstand with your left foot, your ass off the seat and your right leg pointing backwards. in one smooth motion, push down hard on the stand with your left foot, swing your right leg forward while jerking back and up on the bars.....

when you get good at it, like this guy, you will not even need to do the right leg swing thing....

YouTube - CBR1100XX Centerstand Technique

Why's that dude need to do it that way? Why doesn't he just pick the bike up?

Seriously folks? Getting the bike up on the center stand is no harder than standing on the part that sticks out, and lifting on the rear a bit. If you need to, pull back on the bars a bit as well.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com

YouTube - CBR1100XX Centerstand Technique

Wow, didn't even know that was possible!!! Thank you for sharing that! I'll give it a go and maybe even win some bets!! :thumbup:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I've always put the center stand down while I'm still on the bike. I like to hold the front brake down, so I can lean forward and compress the front shock, then press down on the center stand while I rock it back with the front shock helping getting the motion going. I've never tried putting the center stand down while standing next to the bike, I would be worried about it going the other way and falling over... :(

I've tried fueling while on the center stand and I didn't seem to notice any benifit over fueling with the kick stand down. Other than it doesn't matter which way your facing when you park at the pump.

david223

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, so now everyone who dropped their bike trying the centerstand techniques described here (especially the one where you sit on the bike) have to admit to it so we can all laugh, I mean sympathize with you...

P

Perfj

Nice videos. :cheer:
However getting the bike off the center stand can also cause problems if you are not in complete balance.
I prefer to sit on the bike and push it forward. Then there is no risk for dropping it. :D

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
I've always put the center stand down while I'm still on the bike. I like to hold the front brake down, so I can lean forward and compress the front shock, then press down on the center stand while I rock it back with the front shock helping getting the motion going. I've never tried putting the center stand down while standing next to the bike, I would be worried about it going the other way and falling over... :(

I've tried fueling while on the center stand and I didn't seem to notice any benifit over fueling with the kick stand down. Other than it doesn't matter which way your facing when you park at the pump.

+1 on holding the front brake down. That's what I do too. Works really well for me.

Woe257

Reaction score
Visit site
The secret to an easy lift is:

Start facing the bike, put both feet close to the stand, side by side with your left foot as close to the center stand pedal as possible, put your right foot on the pedal, shift your weight, pushing down on the pedal, lift up on your handrail a little. When you shift your weight to the right foot when pushing down, it will pop right up. The secret is to stand as close as you can to the pedal with both feet. I do this with my significantely heavier Goldwing and it pops right up.

Hope this works for you.

KenpoTex

Reaction score
Visit site
I have always had bikes with centrestands so I guess that's why I don't understand the struggle. Right foot on the stand, right hand on the grab rail, left hand on the bars, press down with foot and pull straight up with right hand... done.

Getting off is one of two methods, I stand next to the bike and rock it off, or sit on it, start it, pop it in gear, stand on the pegs and rock it forward, then as it lands drop the clutch and go! :rockon:

I use the same method...very easy.