Central Florida Flat Track Racing

William

Reaction score
Visit site
If you enjoy this sort of thing…

The Southern Dirt Track Association’s 2012 Season kicked off last weekend at Marion County Speedway in Ocala, Florida. For you Central Florida dirt bike guys, this track is adjacent to Hardrock Motorcycle Park on the northern boundary. It used to be called Ocala Micro Speedway. The next race, though, will be February 11 at a new track for the SDTA in Fruitland Park, which is just to the north west of Leesburg. The new track is called Speedway Park; never been to this place, but I’ve heard it’s nice. All the home pages are linked and the complete schedule is below.

Although amateur, these races are a great time and the organization/racing-venues are family-friendly. Lots of kids, lots of fun, you won’t see anyone carrying a beer around or acting rowdy (except on the track :) ). I have a good friend that races with his son in the SDTA Series so my 17yo son and I try to get to as many races as we can make. Me 'n the kid will definitely be there on the 11th. Gates open at 1PM; practice starts at 3PM; Races start at 5PM; $10 gate fee. I usually roll in right in time for the start of the races, but I note lots of folks tail-gating. Consider strapping a folding chair on the back. There's lots of racing in many different classes including a dinosaur class, pee wees and some quads.

We always ride up, so look for a blue Super Tenere and a blue FZ6 and we’ll be somewhere in the vicinity. Hope to see you there sometime. :)

SDTASchedule2012.jpg

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Let me check my schedule and talk to the lady, but you can almost count me in. I did a lot of dirt car race as a crew and a few race as driver. I also worked for Bert Transmission for many years back in Montreal. I never had the chance to watch flat track motorcycle racing... I'll let you know soon.

William

Reaction score
Visit site
That’s great! I like to go watch all kinds of motorcycle racing where ever it pops up and flat track is pretty rare in Florida.

I’ve never been to this particular track where they’re racing in February, but I know the area pretty good. I have a friend who has a horse ranch on Miller Road, right around the corner from this place. It seems like it’s out there in the middle of nowhere, but it’s not too far from Leesburg. If you need a place to stay, the closest budget hotel is the Sleep Inn on the north side of Leesburg, less than five miles away. Nice place, I stay there when I go to the Leesburg Bikefest. Also, there’s a neat place to eat on US27 called Ramshackles that’s about the same distance back toward Leesburg. It’s just past the Sleep Inn. My experience with their other tracks is that they have concessions, but run out of burgers pretty quickly, so it’s good to fill up ‘cuz we rarely get out of there much before midnight.

This is my bud’s RM-Z450 tracker. Seems like most of the racers are on these, YZs and CRs.

img_4078.jpg

img_4923.jpg

There’s a fairly decent sized vintage group and then they roll out the old dino class like this old Indian. :cool:

img_4930.jpg

img_4926.jpg

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a good time. Never seen flat track dirt racing. Have been to Road America here in Wisconsin for AMA superbikes weekend. Shoot some video and post if you get the chance! :Sport: