Central Virginia Routes?

Yasso

Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the Charlottesville area and looking for some ideas on where to go for shorter rides in the afternoons or evenings. I was thinking the blue ridge parkway for weekends, but need something shorter. Rode rte 20 the other day and had a pretty good time. What are some other good places to ride?

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
That's my hometown, so I've got a bit of advice.

Highway 250 West is nice. Pick up Plank Road East. It'll be on your left by a large white roadside fruit stand. You can jump off of Plank Road and take Edge Valley, which is twisty and fun, but watch out for slow moving farm equipment and North Garden Board Meetings (two cars stopped in the road next to each other while their drivers chat.)

Edge Valley will take you to 29, and you can take 29 south for a couple of miles and pick up Plank Road again.

You can also just stay on Plank Road. It also goes to 29 and continues on from there. Keep following Plank Road until it ends at 20. From there you can turn north and get back to Charlottesville, or you can go south and do some exploring.

Have fun!

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the Charlottesville area and looking for some ideas on where to go for shorter rides in the afternoons or evenings. I was thinking the blue ridge parkway for weekends, but need something shorter. Rode rte 20 the other day and had a pretty good time. What are some other good places to ride?

I'm in richmond and I ride around that area fairly often, but I don't really know the roads close to C-ville. So, I'm of little help except to say avoid Skyline on weekends -- parking lot!

I'd love to ride out there and help you find some good roads some weekend though.

:Sport:

Yasso

Reaction score
Visit site
That's my hometown, so I've got a bit of advice.

Highway 250 West is nice. Pick up Plank Road East. It'll be on your left by a large white roadside fruit stand. You can jump off of Plank Road and take Edge Valley, which is twisty and fun, but watch out for slow moving farm equipment and North Garden Board Meetings (two cars stopped in the road next to each other while their drivers chat.)

Edge Valley will take you to 29, and you can take 29 south for a couple of miles and pick up Plank Road again.

You can also just stay on Plank Road. It also goes to 29 and continues on from there. Keep following Plank Road until it ends at 20. From there you can turn north and get back to Charlottesville, or you can go south and do some exploring.

Have fun!

Thanks Fred, I'll give those a try. I'm a new rider, so I'm just taking it really easy. It's great to know there's oter FZ6 riders close by!

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lake Anna State park is nice ride / pretty area. Williamsburg is a nice ride I hear....was thinking of asking Teeter if he wanted to go sometime soon. Went to Fredericksburg today.....pretty nice ride. Love riding on 522...great twisties and fairly scenic. :rockon:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the best roads I have every been on was in George Washington National Forest on the VA/WV line.

I'm in Culpeper, VA so central VA is my home. There are some really sweet roads west of Ruckersville and Culpeper on the east side of the mountains.

Rt. 33 west from Rt. 29 over the Blue Ridge is a blast.
Rt. 231 North from Madison to Sperryville is an awesome riding road.

DavidG-757

Reaction score
Visit site
yea yalls area seems to be overflowing with roads to go on. i'm in newport news so i have to go a little bit to get to the good rides. i've had an idea in my head of getting a large group of riders and take a long weekend to do the whole blue ridge parkway. either camp or hit a hotel for the over nights and just have people come and go as they please. i think it'd be a great couple days doing the whole thing. i just want / need to get my stuff together to get it planned i guess.

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
Im in Farmville Va 40 mins south of Richmond. Head west to route 60 ride that all the way to buena vista and hop on 130 south and then 501 to lynchburg to eat. head back north to high 81 and ride 56 through. you'll come home and kiss the groung and hug your wife. ;) check it out on google earth

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in richmond and I ride around that area fairly often, but I don't really know the roads close to C-ville. So, I'm of little help except to say avoid Skyline on weekends -- parking lot!

I'd love to ride out there and help you find some good roads some weekend though.

:Sport:

ive got a few if any va riders want to get together. maybe before the weather is to cold.

Last edited:

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
road 130 and 60 near glasgow with some friends last weekend. had a blast, can gladly say i have ZERO chicken strip on my 190 and my pegs cant take much more grinding.