First big trip starts on Wednesday!

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not really a 'big trip' per se, but more than a day-ride, so that is progress for me ('05 FZ6 since last October). Leaving on Wednesday (post-work) from Phila PA to my big brother's place in Virginia (Shenandoah Valley), will pick him up on his Suzuki Boulevard and we'll head down towards Deal's Gap/Dragon. In fact, we don't really have much of an itinerary other than that, and the Cherohala Skyway. My wife calls it a "man plan" but I prefer to think of it as flexible and spontaneous :rockon: There is a lodge in Little Switzerland... for some reason that name appeals to me. I even bought the Butler map, but organizationally I've fallen short.

Besides my first longer-ride with a fellow biker - and this being my brother - it is a bittersweet moment, as my dad used to ride some (mostly goldwings), and he and my brother did a trip together a number of years ago before he passed away (2003). He was a pretty cool guy - a church pastor who had a bike/rode, and even had an old porsche 914 (more VW than porsche really). I'm sure he'll be tagging along in spirit.

I'm making a list of what to bring along. Given that this is not unsettled territory - is an extra fuel bottle still a good idea? Any other 'must haves'? I have two Givi side-cases and a top-case, can bring along my tank bag if needed too, so plenty of room. Not camping - we are too old for that :rolleyes: (well, my brother is). Also struggling with what coat to take... maybe too cool for the mesh jacket in the mornings? Here is my quite-short list: chain lube, tire compressor, tube patch kit, a few tools, USB charger, phone/GPS mount, sunscreen, advil, camera, rainsuit (Motogiro)...

Lastly, I've been reading Quezzie's thread on ADV riding her scooter all around the US. I like her description of Tail of the Dragon: "I'd been warned the Tail of the Dragon is practically Disneyland for motorcyclists now - commercialized, touristy, and overcrowded. "There are more fun rides, with less fuss," was one person's opinion. However, like going to Bourbon St on a weekend, I felt that as a rider I personally needed to do this at least once. " I feel the same.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll have a great trip! :rockon:Maybe some water proof wear just in case?:)

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
First off, have fun! You don't need extra fuel just fill up when you get close to a quarter tank. Ride the Dragon during the week and it won't be such a nut house. I liked the "Back of the Dragon" (Hwy 16) much more. If you are near Maggie Valley, NC be sure to go to the Wheels in Time Museum" awesome place.
You don't need a tube patch kit-our tires are tubeless but do pick up the gooey string patch kit for tubeless tires-hope you don't need it.

ltdillard

commutaholic
Reaction score
Visit site
I found my tank bag was quite handy to keep odds and ends in. I have Givi hard-side cases too, and for my recent 3-day trip didn't take my top case.

Yes, include a rain suit just in case. Take extra hearing protection, and maybe some kind of cloth or something soft to keep the visor clean.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all. Have rainsuit packed away (forgot) but will bring. Duh, I mean 'tire/plug patch kit', of course (tho' I've never used it). I've been using the orange Home Depot foam earplugs, cheap and do well for me. Good idea on visor cleaner. Interesting on the tank bag... will consider, could always try and then leave at my brother's if needed. It's just kind-of ugly and right-there-in-front-of-you and in the way. I don't like bags at my feat while flying either. Weather looking a little iffy in places, but we're comitted!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ram Mount X Grip for your Smartphone. Throttlemeister in the event you want to ride with your left hand, giving your right hand a rest. Camelback, allows you to drink while riding. Freeze it the night before or just fill it up with ice. Unless fuel is scarce, extra fuel bottles are not necessary. Out west, might be a different scenario, it's not uncommon to see the next service 100 miles apart. Make sure you have extra fuses. Sometimes, the mini fuses aren't easy to find. As mentioned, good rain gear. Microfiber towel to clean your shield.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A battery jump pack can be very useful. My bike developed an electrical problem during the first leg of a recent road trip that killed the battery in stop-n'-go traffic.

A tire pump, patch kit, and tool kit are also useful. Haven't had to patch a tire yet but have had to use the tool bag.

My bike's a ramblin' wreck, though. Good luck on your trip and have fun!

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All good advice, thank you all. The rain-suit might be especially appropriate, forecast between here and VA is not ideal. Am loaded up, leaving from work today... first time she's got a full outfit on. Passed on the tank bag for now... had room to spare.

DSC_0194.jpg

linus

Reaction score
Visit site
Going to be an awesome trip, very scenic.Here are some of the roads you might want to consider on your way to the Dragon:
1) Claw of the Dragon
2) Diamond Back - Little Switzerland 226a
3) NC 80 Devils Whip
4) The Rattler - NC 209
5) Moonshiner - lots of waterfalls

Little Switzerland Inn has the best prime rib sandwich, Yummy!
We stay at the Kickstand Lodge near the Dragon. wonderful people, minimum accommodations but a great time!

Have a blast!

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
In fact, we don't really have much of an itinerary other than that, and the Cherohala Skyway. My wife calls it a "man plan" but I prefer to think of it as flexible and spontaneous :rockon: There is a lodge in Little Switzerland... for some reason that name appeals to me. I even bought the Butler map, but organizationally I've fallen short..

That sir, is a perfect way to go about it!
Ive been out to Colorado twice and made the circle tour of Lake Superior as well. Most trips were 1 week and about 3000 mi. Having no itinerary worked perfect, whatever happens, happens. In fact on the Superior trip we were in the U.P. and my friend realizes he left his passport at home; He took an extra day to ride home and back while my wife and I chilled out in the U.P. for an extra day and found lots of neat stuff. Having flexibility works! We ride till we don't want to. We stop if anything looks interesting. And everyone has a great time!

It doesn't sound like it, but if you're stressed for space, we always had only 1 person pack tools between us (that was me). Bring what ya need for minor repairs and such.

Last word of advise: Rain-ex. Apply before you go, it pays dividends!

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Am back! Trip was awesome! I was of course way over-packed, but that's ok. We had to cut the trip a bit short, as my brother had to be back on Saturday at 1pm, so - the Cherohala route was shortened by quite a bit. We did manage to fit in the "421 Snake" in VA, which I had just heard about. Definitely want to go back some day, there is much more to explore, more than what you can do in 2.5 days.

Weather was iffy. We never hit a full-on downpour, but did hit some rain. We took I-81 south, jogged onto I-77 south and saw a "fog advisory" sign. Pulled over for lunch, and a guy coming _from_ the south said it was raining hard enough that his car wipers on high could barely keep up with it. Yikes! We went due west on route 58... radar was showing thin/narrow bands of rain from the north, moving south, so we figured we'd catch less that way. Caught 2-3 bands, but made it through ok. Stayed overnight in Maryville TN (good steak, good beer - a Deschutes season, Autumn IPA I think). Friday a.m. we took 129 south, and did the Tail of the Dragon around 8:30am. Very little in the way of traffic... passed 5 VW GTIs, and were passed by two dudes on SuperMotos. Really enjoyed the ride (but need work on my twisties)! Futzed around town a bit, breakfast, then a bit of the Cherohala (very small) before we started to head back. Got back up to Bristol VA and then took 421 'the snake' east, then 91 north. Wish we were a few weeks later... would be great to see the leaves changing color.

Dropped my brother off in VA, and then headed over to Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge pkway around Luray VA. Unfortunately there was too much cloud cover (moisture!) so it was a nice ride but no vistas to speak of. Headed into DC (used to live there a number of years ago), went around Georgetown and Arlington before heading up to MD (have family there). Next a.m. did the 3+ hours home.

Mileage: 1661
MPG: between 50-55 (figured for each tank - didn't do overall total yet). Very pleased by this, esp. as some was slower curves with frequent acceleration, and the other being 75-80mph on the interstates.

Bike did great. It's clearly better than I am, but that means I can grow into it. Never felt hampered by the side and top cases (neither bulk nor weight). Left my brother behind in the curves, but he had a big cruiser so had to watch out for scraping. Throttlemeister gave my right-hand a break. Never broke out rainsuit. Didn't need the tank bag. Heated throttle grips helped keep me warm after getting wet. Downsides: after about 1.5-2 hours in the seat, I need a break. After about 2 hours, very aware of earplugs and my helmet. But I can deal with those for now.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. It _was_ a great trip, we are already thinking about what we are doing next year (and maybe take some add'l time too). This was my 1st long trip, as well as 1st trip with someone else (tho' maybe family doesn't count). I understand the appeal, I think I'm hooked.

Greg
7179524-129Slayer.jpg

Last edited:

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last word of advise: Rain-ex. Apply before you go, it pays dividends!

Ha! Yeah, I've been applying it pretty regularly, and I think it helped. The drops would bead on the front of the faceshield, but I found if I turned my head far right, then turned it far left, the wind would pretty much clear the shield of all moisture. Later, also figured out I could lean way forward (just above the windshield) and the wind would blow everything down. Also, my Held gloves have a little rubber squeegee on the left-index finger. I thought it ridiculous at the time, but - although I don't know if it helped - I sure used it quite a few times ;)