chain cleaned and quick question

adavi491

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys

I just cleaned my chain last week. I used the kerosene to clean it then wiped it dry. Then applied chain lube that i got from my local Yamaha dealer. I now have a slight brown (rust looking) build up on the side of the chain. Is this bad?

Thanks

Chains will get that after awhile. You can prevent it by cleaning your chain after everytime it gets wet, either from the rain or washing it. I personally dont worry about it since it really wont damage the chain unless you leave it uncleaned for 3 years outside. I clean mine every 1000 miles or so, and i get those spots on my chains.

Bottom line, dont worry about it, if you ride it like your supposed to you will be getting a new chain every year or every 12k to 15k miles. I did 18k miles last year and 16k the year before and i am on my 3rd chain.

Last edited:
If you mean the side plates, then it's what happens when you remove the protective coating of grease or lube that stops them rusting. To prevent rust forming, squirt some lube into a rag and rub it on the side plates whenever you really clean the chain.

Re: chain cleaned and quick questions

Thanks for your reply. Is there any way to tell if the chain needs replacing? The bike is an 06 but i got when it was 39** miles. i am currently probably in the 6000s.

Also do i need to use the kerosene every time i wash the bike or is that only supposed to be used when i see that there is crud on the chain. (that is before applying the spray on lube.)

Thanks for the help so far. I wish i had time to post and talk about my adventures but it seems life is so busy. I am taking a trip to West Virginia in June for a week. I will definitely be posting the route and some information on the ride.

Thanks for your reply. Is there any way to tell if the chain needs replacing? The bike is an 06 but i got when it was 39** miles. i am currently probably in the 6000s.

Also do i need to use the kerosene every time i wash the bike or is that only supposed to be used when i see that there is crud on the chain. (that is before applying the spray on lube.)

Thanks for the help so far. I wish i had time to post and talk about my adventures but it seems life is so busy. I am taking a trip to West Virginia in June for a week. I will definitely be posting the route and some information on the ride.

Check your service manual, - there a simple way by measuring the space between 15 links or so, - the specifics are in the manual.

Properly maintained you can get anywhere between 20-30,000 miles out of the factory chain. Keep it clean and lubed and it will last longer than you would expect.

On a motorcycle if your not sure, you should probly replace it. I dont know about you but i would rather change out a chain than have one break while on the highway. Same thing with brakes and fluids and filters. If you buy something used, the person who owned might not have done any maintenance at all. Be safe than sorry...:thumbup:

Ya when i got it in July last year it had only one owner besides the dealer who had made all the mods on it. The bike was never dropped and was in extremely good condition. The chain was in good condition from what the inspection mechanic told my last July. Thanks for the insights and i will check the service manual for the chain length thing you talked about.

The chain just needs lube and care. It's fine until you can't adjust it anymore and it's too loose. Then change your sprockets when you do the chain. Feels like a brand new bike after that. I'm at 12,000 miles and counting on my chain. I lube it every 300-500 miles and clean it when I feel like it LOL

Ya when i got it in July last year it had only one owner besides the dealer who had made all the mods on it. The bike was never dropped and was in extremely good condition. The chain was in good condition from what the inspection mechanic told my last July. Thanks for the insights and i will check the service manual for the chain length thing you talked about.

A quick eyeball way is to look at the teeth on the rear sprocket. If the are symmetrical on both sides of the tooth then you're OK. If the trailing edge of the tooth is concave compared to the leading edge then your sprockets are worn and they and the chain may need replacing. You could then measure links to see if the chain is still in tolerance. The chain and sprockets should always be changed as a unit.

Last edited:

Just in case here it is:

fz6sa-albums-tech-stuff-picture2645-chain-stretch-limits.jpg

The 2004 & 2005 have a different chain than the 2006 & 2007 models.

thanks guys for your help. Will take a look at it again. I cleaned the bike last night and it looked pretty good. Just has the brown "rust" on the side of the chain. Next time i clean the chain i will fix that.

Just in case here it is:

fz6sa-albums-tech-stuff-picture2645-chain-stretch-limits.jpg

The 2004 & 2005 have a different chain than the 2006 & 2007 models.

As far as I can tell they all use a 530 chain. The two measurements are simply given over different link counts. If so, then they can't both be right and the measurement quoted for the 2004/5 chain must be incorrect - probably a misprint. Max permissible 'stretch' for a roller chain is normally 1%. 530 chain has 5/8" pitch, 15.875mm give or take a thou, times 10(links) plus 1% comes out at 160.3mm. This is the measurement to look for from pin centre to pin centre over 11 pins.
The '06/7 figure bears this out, being roughly 1.5 times the correct figure for 10x530 links applied to 15 or them. 240.5mm over 16 pins is on the 1% stretch limit.

Are there any aftermarket chains there are rust proof/resistant?

I've seen some on R1/R6 and they don't rust as bad as the FZ6s.

Are there any aftermarket chains there are rust proof/resistant?

I've seen some on R1/R6 and they don't rust as bad as the FZ6s.

I have never known a chain rust in the way the one on the FZ has. I would guess that virtually any non oem chain is going to be better.

Back