Chain rubbing chain guide a little...

poppasmurf15

Reaction score
Visit site
Is it normal for the chain to slide along the plastic (chain guide) or whatever it's called (located along the top of the swingarm) as it travels, when the chain is tensioned properly of course? I just wondered because it is plastic and it takes a beating from that chain on mine. Doesn't seem to touch it much, just skims it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Chain rubbing chain guard a little...

It only touches while you're engine braking. Under power, the top of the chain is stretched tight.

it is normal, and ironically the reason that they put the guide on there. no worries unless it is constantly wearing on it, but it is there for some contact

I would like to revisit, because I've got he same problem. I discovered this while lubing my chain, and since it is a black chain, I've noticed that the chain not being all black now (see pic below). A little bit has worn down due to the rubbing. After further investigation, it's as if the rubber/plastic chain guide isn't straight or something. I've got a few pics that show the chain guide what seems to be off track or bent. Check out the pictures. Does anyone have any ideas on what maybe causing my chain to wear down like that? Is it really the chain guide doing that?

IMG_6716.jpg

In the above picture, you can see the chain guide is misaligned (IMHO).

IMG_6717.jpg

In the above picture, you can see where I've pushed in on the guide and it is now where it is supposed to be (IMHO).

IMG_6719.jpg

On the left side of this link, you can see where the rubbing.

IMG_6730.jpg

Another shot of the chain on the track in place. You can see the rubbing on the lower part of the links.

IMG_6731.jpg

A zoomed out picture showing the chain guide and chain.

IMG_6732.jpg

Another angle of the chain and chain guide. The guide is off.

IMG_6733.jpg

In this picture you can see where I've pushed the guide in. Like I said, it's as if the guide is made out of rubber or plastic and it has bent outward toward the left rearset.

IMG_6729.jpg

I took this picture from the rear sprocket. I'm trying to show the chain on the chain guide.

You may want to check your wheel alignment.... if the back wheel is not 'straight', it will cause the chain to track off center. How do the rollers look? Are they shiny all the way accross, or is there a side that is much more dirty?

^^^^ I echo his statement. It looks like your chain has not been adjusted "squarely" causing it to track off to one side. I would check the chain adjustment on both sides of the swing arm, and make absolutely sure that everything is setup right. Just from looking at your pictures, it looks like only one side of the axle has been used to adjust the chain slack.

Last night I've made an adjustment to the rear tire checking the chain tauntness and the alignment ensuring the square spacer is the same distance. I used a caliper to check the distance of the square spacers to make sure that they are equal. I fairly sure that the rear tire was aligned to begin with. I still have my doubts about the chain guide being in the correct position. I think it is warped or something because of the fact that I can move it inward and it is fine, and if you look at it, you can see that the top has a little bow in it. I'm wondering if my chain being loose might have caused it to bend? While riding with a loose chain, the chain flapping around causing the chain guide to have unneeded pressure resulting in it to bend outward or bow out. Not sure at this point. Only trying to fix it.

Is the drive sprocket nut tight? This was a recall issue. If the nut has loosened off then the sprocket can move on the output shaft - the rubbing strip is close to the drive sprocket and I'd expect this to be more likely than rear wheel alignment...................unless it's possible to mix up the rear wheel spacers.

I replaced the front and rear sprockets in March. When I installed them, I tightened them with a torque wrench to spec. I haven't checked the tightness since them, but I doubt they have come loose.

If everything is aligned properly, then the guide could be loose/crooked. This will not cause chain wear though, as when the chain is adjusted properly, it should not be hitting the guide all that much. The wear you are showing is from something else, as the plastic guide is not that hard. I would pull off the front sprocket cover and double check that everything is aligned properly. That chain does not look like it is sitting right, I would double check the front sprocket. That chain has to be rubbing on something pretty hard to wear down like that.

Last edited:
I'm revisiting this thread because I am having the same problem. I have been smelling the burning of plastic when I come to a stop, but I've just now figured out that it's the chain rubbing on the guide. It looks like the guide has been heated up from the friction and warped a little. Is the guide absolutely necessary? Is there an aftermarket upgrade? (I guess I could look that up) What are my options? Thanks for your input...;)

Back