Chain size questions.

Wadikus

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys thanks for taking the time to answer my question,

So i left my bike in the garage over the winter and I (irresponsibly) did not lube it so the chain is real stiff and has some seized links and sounds horrible.

I want to change the chain, I've read that the stock length is 118 links, I can get a DID VX 118 length from Canadamotorcycles, however the 120 link chain is cheaper. Should I just go with the 120 linker and have my mechanic break 2 links off? or will this cause issue?

Should I change the sprockets at the same time? they seem to be in good shape, no shark teeth, still up right and have the flat ridges on top.

Thanks!

Wadikus

Also and on a completely unrelated topic, whoever owned the bike before me got lube on the rim and now the rim is stained with lube, anyway to get those stains off?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Fawlty

Reaction score
Visit site
Always good practice to replace the sprockets at the same time as the chain. Personally I would pay the extra for the stock size chain. Try using WD40, with care, on the rim.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its easy to cut the two links off. Most chain tools have that built into them to remove links.

My current DID chain was 120 links. I ground down the heads, then used my chain tool to finish the job.

The front sprocket seems to wear faster than the rear. My rear sprocket looked fine and is still on there however I did replace just the front.

It is general practice to replace both, especially since your chain was that bad, I'd replace both..

**Make sure your mechanic sets the chain at approx 2" TOTAL UP and DOWN at its tightest point (per the owners manual).
Its set much looser than 99% of the bikes and its not un-common for the chain to come out of the shop WAY TOO TIGHT-not good..

Plus 1 on WD40 for goo on the rim. Chain cleaner would work fine on the rim grease, or a dab of gasoline
(yes, its a fire hazard, no smoking and in a vented area) on a rag should remove it.

As a side note, invest in the best chain you can afford...

For the rear sprocket, the torque value for the nuts are extremely high.
Make sure they are clean of ANY lubricant or you will be replacing studs.

Last edited: