Chain Slack and Axel Question

weehe

Reaction score
Visit site
Well chain is fine and in spec and the rear sprocket looks basically the same as the new front one. Took it out for a bit and it seems to have quieted. Still happens at low speeds/rpms but not as much or as loud. It sound like a more reasonable chain noise. So I didn't change anything, I guess it must be settling in or something and I'm just being paranoid. Thanks everyone.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

weehe

Reaction score
Visit site
^^ +1 to Scott!

True! I was a meanie! :spank:

Interesting outcome.... So either you got used to it or it wore itself into a pair to be happy forever! :thumbup:

So, what are your hopes/expectations on the 17t count?

Yeah, not really sure what to make of it, but I'll take it. My commute is about 80% highway doing 65-80 mph, so I got it primarily for that. Lowers the cruising rpms by about 500-700, reducing vibrations. Hard to tell exactly the rpm difference because the spedo is now accurate, but I am not complaining about that. It is so nice to have an accurate reading of my speed. The only downside at first was that it took a little more gas to get going. But once you are used to it you don't even notice. Haven't checked my mpg to see if it helped as I have done a bunch of other things that would probably help bring it back up more than the sprocket.

weehe

Reaction score
Visit site
A very clean and lubed chain does make a difference.

I can assure you the chain was clean when I first put it back together. Spent over an hour scrubbing it. Maybe I'm using the wrong lube, I can't remember now what made me chose white lithium grease in the first place.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it a chain SPECIFIC LUBE??

If its regular lithium grease, I don't know if it would penetrate the rollers/ o-rings, etc. (most likely NOT). The outside would look good but the inside, where it counts, would NOT have fresh lube in it)

Most chain lubes go on very thin (to soak in and get into the rollers, o-rings, etc) and then thicken up.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I've mentioned this a few times, but to this day I haven't found a product that lasts more than 400 miles.

That said I'm rather anal about adding to it every 300 miles. So, clean it real good w grunge brush wipe it several times, spray it again, wipe it again (ride or allow solvent to evap). Lube and it goes about 400 miles but i fold and add to. Also, it does get louder as it gets dry. That can be a clue its due.

Attachments: Roughly 1500 miles of Teflon lube accumulation and total of +18,XXX miles on the hardware (cleaned on right).

weehe

Reaction score
Visit site
Il have to double check to make sure it is chain lube when I get home. That dirty pic looks like mine after 200 miles. Guess it's just really dusty here. And when I clean and relube, I get it as clean as the other pic.

weehe

Reaction score
Visit site
Figured I would update this almost a year later :rolleyes:. It turned out the sound I heard was a destroyed bearing. This was the first time I removed the rear tire since I bought the bike and looks like the bearing was held together by magic before I removed the wheel. The previous owner had laid the bike down on the left side and that clearly destroyed the rear wheel bearing on that side. Hopefully others can learn form my mistake/idiocy. If your bike has been laid down, replace you bearings!