chain/sprockets excessive noise

PKguy

Reaction score
Visit site
After a slow fall I noticed a clicking noise that seemed to be growing in intensity. I thought it was the engine or maybe exhaust, however I reviewed some old threads that suggested it may be a front sprocket problem. I removed the front sprocket cover and spun the back tire as well as with the bike running. The loud clicking noise was coming from the chain hitting the teeth on both the front and back sprockets. I am wondering if there is a way to fix this, or if its truly a problem at all? Currently refraining from riding but that is hard due to the fact that its my main transportation.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
It might just be that the chain needs realignment. If you're not using the OEM sprockets then it's going to be a bit loud. If it's coming from the chain/sprockets for sure, then realign everything and don't worry about it too much. The OEM sprocket has a dampener to quiet things down, and if that was damaged somehow in the drop, or the alignment is off enough that the chain isn't hitting that before contacting the sprocket, it'll make some noise.

I did notice that my aftermarket sprockets got much quieter when I properly adjusted the chain slack after the first stretch and let them run for awhile.