Chains and Sprockets

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm about to order in a DID gold chain and rear sprock (going with a new OEM front due to known issues) but have a question.
I read somewhere that it is not a good idea to have aluminium sprocks as they wear real quick, but my bro put a set on his Bandit the other day and said I definitely should as a steel item will wear the chain quicker. The ally will wear at a similar rate as the chain so is better, but it must be hardened - so he says.
I'm confused now :(
What's your opinion?

KBrink

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as I know Its a trade off, the Aluminum sprockets will wear out faster than steel, but are lighter and have less rotating mass. So if you are looking to shave off any weight you can and get the most power to the rear wheel, then the aluminum is the way to go. On the other hand, if your looking to put alot of miles on your bike then I would go with steel sprockets, they will last a lot longer. (I guess the best of both worlds would be a set of steel 520 sprockets)

If your still running the 530 chain, I think the chain will out last the aluminum sprockets. :thumbup: