Information Changing spark plugs? Don't be stupid like me!

Osage Plains

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not much of a mechanic -- never have been. But I'm doing all the maintenance on my FZ6 myself. Yesterday I decided I'd go ahead and replace my ancient spark plugs for a new batch of iridium ones. I popped the caps and stems out, removed the old ones, and put the plug down in cylinder 1 only to realize that the terminal nut was still attached and our bikes and spark plug tools are designed to work only with the terminal nut removed! I spent hours cursing the heavens trying to remove this horrid thing just so I could remove the little nut. Went to AutoZone to get a bendy magnetic tool which was sure to pull it out, right? Well, the nut isn't magnetic so that didn't work either!

I finally got it the supplied plug remover tool to pick it up with the nut attached (after HOURS of trying) and got all four zipped up and she's running like a dream, but I had to learn a harsh lesson of preparedness in the process.

I'm sure I'm the only one n00b enough to pull a stunt like this, but just in case, I thought I'd offer this newfound wisdom to any other green mechanic undertaking the plug swap.