Charging System ?

vikeme

Reaction score
Visit site
I did a search and didn't come up with an answer. Are any of you aware of a up-graded stator or charging system for the 06 FZ6. I know it wasn't intended for a cruzer but this winter i could drain the battery on the way to work running the heated gear along with the running lights i put on. I have my doubts that there is, but thought i would ask the pro's anyway. Thanks

Sam

jimcisme

Reaction score
Visit site
No, No not running lights. I believe the question was :

"Are any of you aware of a up-graded stator or charging system for the 06 FZ6."

Mines an 07 but it still only puts out 310W at 5000/rpm .:D

azoton

Reaction score
Visit site
This question I'm interested in also... I've looked and found nothing which doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I'm installing a pair of Hot Grips and wanted to do the head light mod but the wattage totals exceed the spec limits - it's one or the other.

Post up if you find an upgrade.

JAY

GU, Drive 2hrs start over
Reaction score
Visit site
Same here, I did the light mod to my 07, but the MSF course damn near killed my battery. Speaking of, can you charge the 12v battery with a 6 amp charger? I am gonna use a 2 amp but can you use a 6?

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Same here, I did the light mod to my 07, but the MSF course damn near killed my battery. Speaking of, can you charge the 12v battery with a 6 amp charger? I am gonna use a 2 amp but can you use a 6?

Wow that suprises me. I have done the light mod, installed a autocom system, and a Garmin GPS and haven't noticed and change in the battery power.

azoton

Reaction score
Visit site
Those safety courses are done at low rpms. Most bikes charging systems won't maintain a battery at anything below 3000 rpms (and I don't know what it is for the FZ6) so if he was spending a lot of time at idle and small throttle input with low rpm riding it shouldn't be surprising that his battery was drained.

Notice I said "maintain".... systems don't really "charge" a battery so once it's weakened only a real charger will get it back where it needs to be.

JAY

GU, Drive 2hrs start over
Reaction score
Visit site
It dropped the battery down to 9 volts when we hooked it to the charger. I went into 2nd twice during the course and never went over 18 mph. It did take all day for it to happen though. So FYI to anyone who has done the light mod and is going to take the MSF course, DISCONNECT the light!
But is there some thing you can add to the bike to increase power or help to not overload the stater?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Vikeme, I just got, today from the UPS man, a book called Everything you need to know: Streetbikes, by Bill Stermer. While leafing through it during lunch today (us worthless guvmint workers got Columbus Day off, w0Ot!) I found the following:

To check if your bike can handle the added electrical draw, with the key off and garments unplugged, connect a voltmeter to the battery posts. It should give a reading of around 12.5 to 13 volts. Now start the bike, plug in a garment, and rev the bike to its usual rpm at highway speeds as you take a second reading. If this second reading is higher than the first, there should be no problem. Now plug in any additional garments, one by one. If at any time the reading goes lower than the original, indicating a discharge situation, end the experiment immediately and unplug the garments. Using all these products could blow the fuse or damage the electrical system. However, you should be able to use any garments up to that point when the battery began to discharge. Sekk you dealer's advice.

(I'm going to leave in that one typo, just so they can't sue me for plagiarism!)
That explanation makes sense. I'm pretty impressed with this book too; it doesn't have any info about riding, but rather about everything else: styles of bikes, heated garments, types of helmets, cruise controls, strengths/weaknesses of the different brands, and I even noticed about a 5-page section on oil, something we haven't all agreed on in this forum! :)

I'll post a book review in the appropriate thread after I've read it, but wanted to share the power info with you since I remembered you asking the question and, boom, there it is!

azoton

Reaction score
Visit site
Such an evaluation sounds like it should provide some indication of load vs. output - backyard mechanic stuff :) but if it works it works!

It's really just some simple math: these bikes put out 310-320 watts during full charging conditions and if you ad up everything that's already involved with the stock electrical system you are looking at about 240 watts of useage..... that only leaves 70 to 80 potential available watts for other uses such as: dual lights, heated drips, heated vest, additional running lights.......

Even without the headlight mod he would have drained his battery running at such low rpms.... it's not a "charging" condition.

Now.... has anyone run into a bigger alternator yet?? :)