Cheap Exhaust Ideas?

aaronrosencrans

Reaction score
Visit site
Alrighty kids. I got word back from Manny again with Leo and here's what he had to say:

I understand, we don’t make a full system. We offer the slip-ons, with integrated cat eliminator pipe and the section that connects to the stock system, is different for 2007. See attached drawings. The diameters are the same, but when mounting, the design of the 2007 system is different, this part is hard to tell from the drawings.

I'll attach the drawings. I'm trying to find the difference in the two designs, but I'm not seeing it. Heck, at least we have a general schematic of the exhaust systems for both the 04-05 Fizzers and the 07.

What do you guys make of it? Here's my question:

For those of you who added a set of slip-on cans, did you eliminate the cat or not? I'm wondering....

On second thought...the internet out here is REALLY slow and the drawings aren't loading. I'll try again in the morning

aaronrosencrans

Reaction score
Visit site
As promised, here are the drawings. Can anyone find the difference in the two drawings? I'm just wondering. Our friend Manny wasn't exactly explicit when telling me what the difference was. I figured we'd get the run around with that.

Anyway, enjoy the schematics.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you could do the 3/4 drill bit but has to long enough to go in the stock can and just make as big of a hole you can on both cans. All i did was went to home depot and bought the longest ( 12" ) put the drill bit in a good drill and just start drilling, You will know when you get threw. When you feel it BORED out enough then start it up so shoot out any metal and you will see and hear a difference. Hoped that helped. Any other questions send me a pm and will try a little more info.
Ok, daft question, why not just drill out the entire rear plate of the exhaust, instead of three holes?

Nelly

aaronrosencrans

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, daft question, why not just drill out the entire rear plate of the exhaust, instead of three holes?

Nelly

I think the idea is to mess around with the muffler's ability to bounce the sound around. In the theory, every time the noise from the engine bounces off a wall, the sound is reduced by some equation which is explained as this:

If d is a typical dimension of the room, then the average time between bounces is d/S, and in a time t there are n=(t S /d) bounces (S =speed of sound).
The sound intensity as a function of time is
I(t) = I0 a(t S /d) = exponential decay with time
Exponential decay law can be written
I(t) = I0 10(-6 t / tR) tR= -6 d / [S loga]
Reverberation time tR is time for intensity to decay by 106 (60dB)

So with the time between bounces being really short, the exponential decay happens rapidly.

There are some other aspects involved, but I don't feel like hurting my brain anymore.

Simply put, by drilling inside the muffler, we're only reducing the amount of sound that continues to get bounced and filtered, resulting in an increase of audible output.

If you take the entire back plate out, not much sound will actually be bounced, and it would be violently loud...much like having straight pipes.

I could be WAY off base here. If so, I'm sorry...I've been staring at a computer all day...at least I don't do that everyday!

Last edited:

FZ-Dave

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Am thinking about taking a 3/4 drill to mine too but just wanted to check if drilling would have an negative effect on fuel consumption or performance? Or is the only change to the sound?

Ta

Dave

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the idea is to mess around with the muffler's ability to bounce the sound around. In the theory, every time the noise from the engine bounces off a wall, the sound is reduced by some equation which is explained as this:

If d is a typical dimension of the room, then the average time between bounces is d/S, and in a time t there are n=(t S /d) bounces (S =speed of sound).
The sound intensity as a function of time is
I(t) = I0 a(t S /d) = exponential decay with time
Exponential decay law can be written
I(t) = I0 10(-6 t / tR) tR= -6 d / [S loga]
Reverberation time tR is time for intensity to decay by 106 (60dB)

So with the time between bounces being really short, the exponential decay happens rapidly.

There are some other aspects involved, but I don't feel like hurting my brain anymore.

Simply put, by drilling inside the muffler, we're only reducing the amount of sound that continues to get bounced and filtered, resulting in an increase of audible output.

If you take the entire back plate out, not much sound will actually be bounced, and it would be violently loud...much like having straight pipes.

I could be WAY off base here. If so, I'm sorry...I've been staring at a computer all day...at least I don't do that everyday!
Thanks Mate,

That was an excellent explanation. I think that three holes only increases the rasping noise as the air flow is bouncing off of three outlets. I am thinking that it may be more benificial to drill out one hole in the centre of the plate. I may try a 1cm diameter hole first and work up. Of course once the hole is there its difficult to go back.

I also disagree that the sound is crap. It is a cheap mod thats easily done.

Nelly

aaronrosencrans

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Mate,

That was an excellent explanation. I think that three holes only increases the rasping noise as the air flow is bouncing off of three outlets. I am thinking that it may be more benificial to drill out one hole in the centre of the plate. I may try a 1cm diameter hole first and work up. Of course once the hole is there its difficult to go back.

I also disagree that the sound is crap. It is a cheap mod thats easily done.

Nelly

No prob bro. One thing I want to point out is the holes I have been talking about are actually inside the muffler itself. The reason you have a 10-12 inch bit is because you insert the drill into the the exhaust ports. You're not drilling anything on the outside of the can. In theory, you could do that, but I foresee exhaust leaking out of the can and staining the rear pieces of the plastic covering for the muffler (the parts creating the illusion of dual cans) and also the center part in the middle. You'll basically be creating an extra outlet for exhaust that will shoot hot gas at a not-so-durable part of the bike.

For me, when I get back stateside, I'm going to just drill the two holes inside the baffle and see what that does for the sound.

As for the fuel economy/consumption...I am not aware of the effects (pos or neg). I've had friends drill their exhausts before and they never mentioned any affect on it. Basically, I'm not saying it will hurt nor help because I don't know.

I guess I'll find that out as well when I get back stateside! :) I really don't see it making my already super fast (the fastest) gray and silver Fizzer go any faster. :Sport:

Theunamed

Reaction score
Visit site
What I did was took the muffler off and cut the whole top off and gutted most of the fiberglass and baffles and wielded it back up.. it actually sounds pretty damn cool my friends say when I go by it sound like a Ferrari f430

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I started with one then two then three each side, reason being scared of stuffing up. With each step you can stop where you like without going full load all at once.

aaronrosencrans

Reaction score
Visit site
What I did was took the muffler off and cut the whole top off and gutted most of the fiberglass and baffles and wielded it back up.. it actually sounds pretty damn cool my friends say when I go by it sound like a Ferrari f430

No kidding? That's a great idea! Do you happen to remember what it looks like inside the muffler? I've been trying to find some drawings of their design of the inside...to no avail. It would be awesome if you could draw a rough sketch.

I started with one then two then three each side, reason being scared of stuffing up. With each step you can stop where you like without going full load all at once.

Yet another good idea. How does it sound? Does it have that "I drilled holes in my muffler" sound? :)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok here is my two bobs worth, Thanks to Aussiejules video camerfa i can show people what my bike sounds like after being "De-baffled" by a professional exhaust guy here in Adelaide, Australia.

I have posted photo's of what it looks like, etc, elsewhere in this forum.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/australia/606-ha-chillin-my-mates-5.html

Here is a clip of what it sounds like...cost me $280 Australian to get done, and power is better, sound is much much better, and throttle reponse from a closed, or semi closed throttle position is less snatchy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHTNmNnlMkw"]YouTube - FZ6 Exhaust de-baffle[/ame]

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you look up wolf's there is lots of holes, his has also had the outlets made bigger. Unless when they cut off the outlets and made bigger holes, they may have taken the last baffle out and this was behind it. I say this because these holes are perfectly spaced.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ausiejules, i think you should ring the Redline Exhaust and tell them you have a mate who had his FZ6 exhaust modified by them and that you are interested in getting the same done to your bike...and see if they will explain to you exactly what they did to my exhaust, as even though they did explain to me in detail what they actually did, not being mechanically minded, it all went in one ear, and out the other!!!! (Dumbass DJ).

As i know you are a mechanic, i think you would be able to explain to people what the heck has been done to my bikes exhaust...lol, it's my bike, and i dont even know, all i know is, i love the result!

Just an idea?

You never know, it mat help you unlock the mystery, and assist you to complete the same on your bike yourself if you desire so, and plus i also know, my exhaust has you fascinated, and my inability to communicate what's been done to it as frustrating! :thumbup: