Delasangre4231

Reaction score
Visit site
I just read a post on changing the oil but it still didn't directly state my answer. For Checking not Changing do you check the dipstick with it on side stand or center stand?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Center-stand after warmed up for a couple and then sitting for a couple (for both actually)..

*Just a side note, once you get the level where you like it in the crosshatch area, I check it another way which is much simpler.

I park the bike in the exact same spot in the garage. Once the engine is cold (all the oil drained down), I re-check and make note
where it is WHILE ON THE SIDE STAND. I don't check it often as it doesn't burn a drop but its nice to have the option..

Delasangre4231

Reaction score
Visit site
So on my center stand its 1/4 inch above the hash marks, on the side stand its right in the middle of the marks? So I am overfull?

I haven't done an oil change since I bought it but I am going to here very soon before I store it for the winter.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Technically, your over... Will it hurt anything, probably not.

If it was mine, I'd use 1/4" hose with a syringe and vacuum some out. thru the dip stick hole.

Cracking loose the oil filter will allow some to drain out, But, they tend to stick and you end up destroying it...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While on the topic; Dipstick is set into the hole (not threaded) for checking!
Recheck (wipe and repeat) until method provides repeatable results!

And yes, the service material needs removed as it places the site in violation as its copy written material. Sorry. Just how it is!
Tks

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While on the topic; Dipstick is threaded in and seated for checking!
Recheck (wipe and repeat) until method provides repeatble results!

From page 7-12 of the S2 owners manual; (lower left corner)

"Remove the engine oil dipstick and wipe it clean, insert it back into the hole (without screwing it in), and then remove it again to check the oil level".

**DO NOT SCREW THE STICK IN WHEN CHECKING.. That will lead to a lower, specified oil level...**.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you posted that. I always wondered: "Do I thread the dipstick in first before reading or not?" Next time, I won't thread it in (but have for last 40K miles). Once I overfilled it and oil seeped out of the right side cover. Sucked out some oil with syringe and oil seeping stopped immediately.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your welcome...

The little bit it'd be over isn't much but if your high revving the engine often, with a high level, I suspect you'll possibly get a bit more crankcase blow back into the air filter filter area (where the crankcase vents to)...

And as you've posted, the higher oil level did cause a minor in your case, just that little bit..

Extra oil on a paper filter isn't the best thing either...:thumbup:

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
CORRECTED: Dipstick is set into the hole (not threaded) for checking!

My bad. Its solved in black and white now! :D

Just so people do the right action I'm going to EDIT that post as some read and see and do not read entire threads....