clunky shifting

suedon

cafe racer
Reaction score
Visit site
I apologize if this has been answered but i have a question. I find my shifting clunky, yes clunky on my 2006 fz6. Is this standard like comparing it to shifting on a cruiser or could it be clunky because the clutch cable needs lubrication? . When I say clunky I am comparing it to a cruiser which is noisy and clunky when shifting gears. Maybe I am way off but just reading some posts on the forum and thought maybe this may contribute to the clunkyness. Yes I am female and only riding for two years but try to research and find answers but not sure. It can't be the way I am shifting as my old suzuki gs 500 was a lot quieter. Don't mean to sound stupid but just inquiring..or is clunky shifting common on 2006 and newer fz6's common? Thanks for any input...

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I read this a lot here but other then neutral to first and once in a while first to second my FZ shifts smooth as silk. When I first bought the bike I found the shifting a little notchy but I'm not sure if I just adapted or the transmission slowly broke in but like I said it's smooth now.

suedon

cafe racer
Reaction score
Visit site
i know first to second if normally clunky but yes I find it clunky upshifting as well...wondered if it's a mechanical/lubrication problem. Thanks for anu input....

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you know what oil is in your bike? Lubricating clutch cable will not do anything for clunky shifting. It can only improve clutch feel at the lever (reduce effort and make it snap back quicker).
Best way to reduce clunk is to switch to synthetic oil with JASO-MA designation (safe for wet clutches).

bane

Boss
Reaction score
Visit site
As Eric said, you should get big improvement with right selection of synthetic oil and in my opinion good driving shoes can reduce this also...

In my situation, clutch working excellent (without clunk) when engine is cold, soon as the bike come in working temperature gearing is always clunky from 1st to 2nd

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an issue with the 5-6 shift. Really odd. I pull the clutch and lift the shifter and sometimes I get a partial engagement. Dogs are banging around. Sometimes it pops into 6 and sometimes into 5. Here is the odd part. Shift without the clutch and it is perfect. Even the shift lever feels more connected. Only difference with or without clutch is a lateral tug on the input shaft caused by the release bearing pilling the pressure plate. Was thinking a thrust washer. Any ideas?

andrewsierck

Reaction score
Visit site
preload the clutch when you shift ( put slight upward pressure before you hit the clutch) it will slip right into gear. it takes a minute to learn but makes shifting butter sweet on these bikes. :thumbup: