Clutch and brake fluid

Cribbe

Performance by Cribbe
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.cribbe.com
How often do you have to change the brake and clutch fluid?
My bike has gone 8200km and none of the above is changed.
Can I use the same Dot4 fluid to both clutsh and brake?

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
You don't have any clutch fluid - the clutch is lubricated from the engine oil.

The brake fluid should be changed about every 2 or 3 years as it absorbs moisture over time which impairs the braking performance. Dot 4 is fine.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
there's no clutch fluid to change

dot4 brake fluid is what you need, but i suspect that it will still be ok. if you track or ride aggressively then you may need to change it more often than normal street riding.

it's pretty cheap and easy to do though, and if your brakes feel a bit spongy then it might be worth bleeding them and replacing the fluid.

edit: might be worth giving your brake calipers a clean up too, get to work on the pistons with some brake cleaner and a tooth brush

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
The clutch uses the engine oil, so do not throw brake fluid in there! Also, you can check your brake fluid by popping the cover and inspecting it. If it's not clear, it should get changed.

There's a maintenance schedule floating around here somewhere and it should be in your manual.

Cribbe

Performance by Cribbe
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.cribbe.com
Ha! I thought I need to change the clutch also (i have had a couple of bike before that I have changed it on) but now when I am looking in the manual for the FZ5 theres no need to. Then I will change the brake fluid this weekend since it not has been done before. Thanks all for your qick reply :thumbup:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
No hydraulic clutch on the FZ we have a cable. Of course lubing the cable every now and then will keep it smooth.

Cribbe

Performance by Cribbe
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.cribbe.com
Well now the brake fluid is changed. It was time. The fluid was almost black. After the change the brake bites more. It is a very big diffrense. When I was to it I also changed the master cylinder beacuase i wanted a more "sport" look with one from an R6. Pictures will come :Flash: