Clutch pull effort is insane, and it's not the cable...

9zero7

Reaction score
Visit site
Title is pretty much it. Replaced clutch cable with new one and the effort to disengage the clutch is still almost requiring 4 fingers. Also, it feels like the clutch is only 85% disengaged when the lever is to the bars. Is it time for an entire clutch assembly replacement?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are 2 clutch cables in series. How was the effort before the cable exchange?

9zero7

Reaction score
Visit site
I've owned the bike for 8 years, this issue has slowly gotten worse over time. I opened it up last night and I do not need any new clutch springs or plates, all are in spec and look very good, the bike only has 28k on it. When I took the cover off the marks on the cable retainer and clutch cover were lined up. I did notice that any force pulling the actuator shaft towards the side of the penetration in the clutch cover resulted in noticeable binding and required extra effort to rotate. Is that normal? I assumed that shaft would be lubricated by the oil in the clutch. I'm honestly stumped on what this could be.

9zero7

Reaction score
Visit site
I did. 20 seemed to be stiff. I rubbed some oil on the rollers and then just turned it for 5 minutes and it got noticeably better. I put the shaft back in the cover and it still spun better than before. I'm going to reassemble tonight and see if that was all it was. If so I wonder why it wasn't being lubed enough. I am pretty religious about checking my oil levels, so it shouldn't have been low, but I'll be the first to admit I have missed things on this bike before.

9zero7

Reaction score
Visit site
No roughness anymore, and no play at all. If it gets bad again I'll replace it but I'm gonna give it a go and see how much it improves. Thanks for the help with the diagram!

lrojasma

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same problem, and i got tired of it, so in the end i lubbed the 3 bearings and change the clutch for hidraulic and the problem was a thing of the past.

But eventually the stiffness cames back again, even with hidraulic system... so... as i use my bike everyday on heavy traffic and it was affecting my left hand... i resolve to change the entire system to a automatic using a AutoCluch from EFM. Now i dont even have a clutch at all.