Clutch "Sproing" Noise

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I realize this isn't Fizzer related, but I'm trying to discern a quirk I noticed this morning on my 600F4i. When I let the clutch lever out, I can hear a sort of springy, "sproing" type sound from the clutch basket somewhere. Rolling the bike, putting it in gear, turning it on - it still makes the noise. The only time it seems to go away is if I crank the bars to the right which changes the slack in the cable (seems less, because it makes the cable bend around stuff a bit harder). When I turn back to the left though, "sproing", as if a spring or something is bouncing around. Shifts fine and isn't notchy or anything, but the issue seems weird.

Is it possible to have too much free play (I kept it as low as I could without causing slipping when I punch it) so that it rattles and vibrates internally? I'm thinking perhaps it's in need of a new clutch/springs and touch up on the basket.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty odd but I would first start with cleaning and lubing the clutch cable.

As it seems to go away at full lock (more cable pull), do the basic's first, adjust it per
spec's just to rule that out.

For the cable to pull more at full lock, its got to pretty tight...

What you might do with a helper, is run the bike at standstill, get it to make its noise, then concentrate
on the clutch cable and how it routes, touching it, tugging it slightly to see of you can find the exact area
the noise is coming from, ie, perhaps vibrating at a particular part on the frame, etc...

Last edited:

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a time where it'd slip high up in the revs, so I tweaked it off slightly and had no more slipping - and no weird noise. Seems to have appeared last night though - some damn gremlins or whatnot. I'll poke around with it and try that with my buddy soon, although I'm pretty sure I've got it within manual specs for lever free play currently - about 1/4 inch as it stands. The routing seems to be stock, in that it blocks part of the dash like on all the other F4i's, and the noise is most certainly coming from inside the clutch cover.

Thanks!

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Whats the year and exact model # so I can look at the clutch on Partzilla?

2002 CBR600F4i Sport model (two seats, slightly more racy cams/better valve springs, etc)

Clutch was shared throughout: Honda Motorcycle Parts 2002 CBR600F4 A CLUTCH ('01-'06) Diagram

I just went downstairs and poked around a bit, tried cleaning/lubing, and adjusting free play but the noise is still there. It slowly sqeaks as I let the lever out, or does a rattly sproing if I go a little quicker. Sounds like it's coming from around the center of the clutch cover, with my ear right beside the surrounding parts. If it wasn't pissing rain right now I'd ride the thing and see if the noise remains, maybe it just got sat funny, somehow.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Sky cleared up so I took 'er out. Funny enough, I seem to have found a slightly modified clutch free play that works better than the last one - and I don't think a single sloppy shift was had.

The squeak is still there, to a lesser degree after my return, but there's no abnormal noise from the basket while the bike is running. In fact, the engine sounded more quiet today than yesterday with ear plugs in. Might not even be worth worrying about. Unless it gets worse, I think I'll call it quits in regards to chasing gremlins - but I appreciate your help nonetheless. There's a reason I decided to ask this question here of all places!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can barely hear it, but It almost sounds dry.

Can you try spraying a little bit of either spray penetrating white grease or liquid wrench (not WD40) on that return spring? (and any connectors, pins, etc-anything that moves there)?

I'd probably do the clutch lever perch as well.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I can barely hear it, but It almost sounds dry.

Can you try spraying a little bit of either spray penetrating white grease or liquid wrench (not WD40) on that return spring? (and any connectors, pins, etc-anything that moves there)?

I'd probably do the clutch lever perch as well.

Perch is good. I used some Dri Slide on the spring, in addition to a touch of grease, and it doesn't seem to have had any effect. All that moves is the arm, the spring, and the cable. It definitely seems to be, and sounds like it's internal. Oil levels are good as far as I'm aware.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Most people got some sort of loud rattle when the bike was running - which doesn't help me in this case, unfortunately. I only get the little one when I let the clutch out, with the bike off to hear it. Nothing worsens when riding or the likes, which is peculiar. Might tear it apart when I get a free weekend.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That little center bearing (part #18) for the release is ONLY working when the clutch lever is pulled. When released, it doesn't have any load, etc.

I'd be looking close at that.

One FZ here had that bearing go screwing up the clutch...

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
That little center bearing (part #18) for the release is ONLY working when the clutch lever is pulled. When released, it doesn't have any load, etc.

I'd be looking close at that.

One FZ here had that bearing go screwing up the clutch...

Hmm. Well, I'll tear it apart and go ahead. How much oil comes out from removing the clutch cover, usually? Not oil change worthy, right?

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm. Well, I'll tear it apart and go ahead. How much oil comes out from removing the clutch cover, usually? Not oil change worthy, right?
If you do it on the side stand- none. But there is a coolant breather hose that I haven't found a way of doing it without needing to remove yet.