Need Help Clutch to Transmission Bridge

Simpo

Reaction score
Visit site
Recently while driving my 2005 fz6, I was turning off a freeway exit ramp when suddenly the bike lost all power to the rear wheel. I guessed my clutch went out, so towed it home and opened the crankcase.
I found that two of the friction plates were broken and in pieces. I replaced all the friction plates, and now the clutch is working fine. I know this because if I take off the oil cap I can see the clutch spinning while the bike is running. Acceleration increases the speed of its spinning. Clutch hand lever pulls it out and squashes it back together all how it’s supposed to.
However, the bike still freely changes gears independently from the clutch. So still no power to the transmission (I’m assuming). Bike does not stall out running in first with the clutch hand lever out. Bike rolls freely in first gear with the engine off. Also, briefly it was having trouble shifting into first gear while the engine was off at one point (‍♂️).
My most logical conclusion is that whatever nut or gear that serves as a bridge between the clutch and the input shaft/axle on the transmission is sheared off or somehow broken. So my question is where and how can I find that connection to so I can see if it’s broken/how to fix it.
If anyone recognizes my situation and has any other suggestions as to what the problem could be, please let me know. Any insights appreciated.

Simpo

Reaction score
Visit site
First do not run the bike anymore and check to be sure your drive sprocket has not come off the output shaft.
You’re a lifesaver. I was inches away from tearing apart the bike to get into the transmission (face palm).

The whole sprocket was just sitting over in the corner of the cover. The washer is bent out of shape and the nut is nowhere to be found....

Thanks again.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You’re a lifesaver. I was inches away from tearing apart the bike to get into the transmission (face palm).

The whole sprocket was just sitting over in the corner of the cover. The washer is bent out of shape and the nut is nowhere to be found....

Thanks again.
That washer is supposed to be bent once the nut has been tightened to spec. It has a key that aligns with a slot on the shaft. That key probably failed and allowed the nut to spin. The clutch on the FZ6 is pretty bullet proof so the bike may have had some rough treatment at one time. Check that the sprocket and output shaft spline are not stripped and that the treads are good. Good that you also found bad parts and rebuilt the clutch!
Let us know how you progress. :)

Simpo

Reaction score
Visit site
UPDATE: The drive sprocket and output shaft looked to be in pretty good shape. I got a new washer and nut (after seeing what the washer looks like new, it seemed like the last guy never bothered to pound the key down to lock against the nut).
Yes the bike definitely seems to have been through some rough patches.
Anyway she’s up and running again thanks to your help.

Also correct me if I’m wrong, but (for curiosity’s sake) the end of the input axle of the trans is what you see when you pull out all the clutch plates, right? It also has a special nut/washer on it that’s bent down, and it looks like it wouldn’t be any fun to take off or put back on.