Clutch woes .

Va.Rider

Home in the Old Dominion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My clutch seems to come on all at once at the end of the lever throw. Will it smooth out some & become a little more linear as time goes by or is it all on me to just man up & get used to it ? I see now where the idea of lever mods came from. My bike is a "New" '09 with less than 5oo miles on it. Any advice here would be great. Thanx. :eek:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to tell ya.. that's how the clutch is on this bike. It will never become progressive. You can adjust engagement point by adding slack to cable, but it'll always be confined to one short point.
If you feel like you really don't want to get used to it you can get one of these: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/35451-clutch-slave-levers-im-making-them-again.html

Personally, I've gotten used to it and actually love the very quick engagement point. I rarely squeeze the lever more than a 1/3 of the way in.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
you can adjust the cable at the lever end, that knurled nut with the ratchet
assembly, to give more lever free play so the engagement point is closer
to the bar, but the depth of that friction zone will remain unchanged....

that kit that Erci gave you does wonders, I installed it last week and it increases
the friction zone as well as reduces the effort on the lever,
looks like killernoddle is done making them for now, but if he starts up again
I'd get on it, it WILL help with your issue

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I had a dollar for every time I stalled my FZ the first year, I'd be a rich man. Hang in there, you will get used to it; and when you do you'll appreciate how quickly you can snick thru the gears on a hard acceleration/decel.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I'm not sure if it is because of the oil I'm using now, break in or just use to it but it seems that my clutch is not a on off switch anymore. Last weekend I started noticing it was working better as I drove though a town that was just hills and stoplights and a lot of traffic.

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
If I had a dollar for every time I'd stalled my fizzer, I think I would have somewhere in the realm of three or four dollars. You'll very quickly get used to it, and it does become quite easy to launch from a start, or snick through gears smoothly.