Communication Devices

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
I just priced out that J&M set and it's looking like $817 for the a set, just to talk to your passenger. :eek:

I certainly hope this setup come's with a happy ending as well

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I just priced out that J&M set and it's looking like $817 for the a set, just to talk to your passenger. :eek:

I certainly hope this setup come's with a happy ending as well

You can save some money by not getting a Coaxial cable and antenna & mount from them. We were able to pick up a smaller antenna and cable from the local truck stop for less $$.

But I must admit, while my loving parents set me up with this deal, it is worth every penny. I am sure Dad can vouch for me when I say that.

We came across a solo kit last winter that had a faded case. I took it appart in order to pain the cases, however I couldnt get the aux volume knob to come off. So I called J&M about how to do it. They had a better idea:

The guy told me to ship the radio, which we never purchased. (It came off a trade in bike.) In addition, my fathers radio because there were some random spots from where some soap must had dried on it to get the cases replaced. Not only did they replace both sets of cases, but they updated the internals of the radios with the new versions. We later found out when we got them back, that the knobs were changed out as well. So basicly two new radios were shipped back to us. Now, here is the fun part... guess how much J&M charged for all that? Free 0.99!

To add to this... when I was installing my J&M last February, my father was up at Indy for the Dealer Expo [Which I will be going to this year :cheer: :cheer:, Thanks Mike!]. I was having some problems with feedback through the system once it was all connected. Dad went over the J&M booth and handed the phone to one of the tech guys was there and we had a nice convo over the phone on my set up and he walked me through what changes needed to made to get rid of the noise.

While the kit cost a pretty penny... it is well worth it!

-bryan

Bruce McCrary

RDY2GO!
Reaction score
rdytogo.blogspot.com
Buying the J&M system only for, or even primarily for the intercom system is probably a waste. Even if you consider the ability to use an auxiliary input device for music or whatever too, there are other choices that are less expensive and probably work at least as well, but I can't imagine any better.

The obvious difference between the J&M and most other devices is the CB and NOAA radios, combined with the compact size, convenience of mounting and ease of use in a motorcycle application.

The usefulness of these features varies with the individual. As you can tell, Bryan and I as well as our regular passengers really enjoy these units and at this point would be lost with out them. But that's us.

Being an ex over the road trucker I enjoy and really use the CR radio feature. Besides being able to talk to other bikes that have CB's, I can think of several times that having the ability to talk with trucks on the road has not only be convenient, but helped keep us safe too. There have been issues with accidents on the road ahead that we knew about well before getting there and even a time during a rain storm that I was able to communicate with a wide load hauler and co-ordinated when I wanted him to come around us on a rain soaked heavily puddled road surface. Plus it's a hoot listening to the drivers tell each other to check out the babe on the back of the motorcycle coming around them. :D

The NOAA weather radio has been a real benefit to us too in that we have used it when the sky's ahead looked bad, listened for local updates and adjusted our routes to miss storms. Then there was the time this past March when we were coming through Athens, Georgia in a snow storm and used the NOAA weather radio to find that we were sacked in and instead of trying to ride through it we found a motel to wait it out.

The down side to the CB is that for an old clucker trucker whose used to BIG radios, the J&M leaves a little to be desired. You can only cram so much into it's small package and the lack of any real antenna hight means that they don't have a very long range. I'm used to being able to talk 'long distance' with my old Connex and Cobra, but the J&M is really only good for about a mile under ideal conditions. I've been trying to locate a CB shop that would be willing to go into the J&M unit to see if it could be 'peaked' or if the board would handle an auxiliary power source, but so far I haven't found any takers. I did speak with one guy that said he had tried to do same thing and was told it wasn't possible. Take it for what it's worth.

Shafe716 if you are seriously considering the unit PM me and I'll be glad to go over the differences in headsets, etc and see if I can save you some money.

Bruce

Last edited:

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
I am extremely satisfied with my Autocom system that I've had for about 3 years. The main advantage that it has, compared to cheaper systems, is the so-called sidetones for intercom usage, i.e., you can hear yourself so that you know what your passenger and others hear, and its duplex mode, i.e., both of you can talk at the same time. It's also got lots of nice features, like turning down music when an intercom, phone call, or radio transmission comes in. Currently I have it hooked up supporting an MP3 player, a Sirius satellite radio, a radar detector, a GMRS transceiver, and a cell phone. You can get a bluetooth attachment if you wish, and I'll hook up a GPS when I get one that has a standard audio output. The stereo audio output is outstanding.

The real problem with all this is all the cables involved. They're invariably one meter long, when all you really need is a few inches. I've solved that by essentially dedicating a Cortech super-mini tankbag to hold all this electronic clap-trap and cables.

Last edited:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking at that set up and was wondering about how you would mount the control unit. It looked as though you had to have some sort of bag or compartment to house the unit. It looks like a great system for larger bikes, just wasnt sure about it for the FZ. I have heard that the clairity of the system though is quite nice.

-bryan

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
some very good information here!

I have the Chatterbox XBi. I bought it mainly for the bluetooth so I could listen to my iPod while riding. But I also thought it'd be nice to be able to use my cell phone while riding too... Problem there is the microphone.

I think the microphone quality is okay because people on the other end seem to understand me. Maybe it's not the microphone's fault after all... I just have a really big head! I wanted a system that I could install and not worry about. In order for me to get my head in and out of my helmet I have to move detach/reattach the microphone everytime and it's annoying. Plus feeling the microphone on my face while riding is annoying.

Is this issue something anyone else has experienced? Again, maybe it's just my big head. If there are smaller microphone'd headsets out there maybe I'll try one of those. If nothing else I think I'll try replacing the microphone on my headset with something smaller.

(For what it's worth I wear an XL helmet and I can move my chin and make it touch the front of my helmet)

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
That would be rather hard. My mic touches my face, but I just got used to it. The mic itself is that big, its the wind sock that takes up the room. And trust me, you want that thing on.

-bryan

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After speaking with a lot of folks who own the new Scala Q2 multiset and the review on WBW, I'm going to buy this setup in the next couple weeks.

My wife and I are trailering the bikes to TN in May and want these headsets for several reasons. The distance in which they work, the ability to pair with up to 4 BT devices, the clarity they have in comms, and the price. We both have BT phones that will pair with them.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After speaking with a lot of folks who own the new Scala Q2 multiset and the review on WBW, I'm going to buy this setup in the next couple weeks.

My wife and I are trailering the bikes to TN in May and want these headsets for several reasons. The distance in which they work, the ability to pair with up to 4 BT devices, the clarity they have in comms, and the price. We both have BT phones that will pair with them.

It will be good to hear your view on this.

I have heard mixed reviews on it but I am also looking for bluetooth, so i look forward to seeing what you think.

Steve

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It will be good to hear your view on this.

I have heard mixed reviews on it but I am also looking for bluetooth, so i look forward to seeing what you think.

Steve

Steve, I'll be sure to give a full and honest review of this. :D It is going to be an important piece of our tour in May. I like constant communication with my wife. There have been times where she wanted me to take a different turn or stop at a place or tell me she had a small problem but I didn't catch her signals. This will allow us to chat as if we were at dinner! :D

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Earplugs?

I have a very basic system (thanks Jim!) that works fine up to about 40MPH. It digs into my ear over time and I have to use ONE earplug to make it work but it's been great so far. I'm looking to upgrade now (rider/passenger system).

Can ear plugs be worn with any of these systems? I'm interested in Jim's Autocom system because it sounds great in person and I seem to remember the volume being loud enough to work in conjuction w/ ear plugs (could be wrong).

Eric, how did the Scala work out for you?

Azmontana

Reaction score
Visit site
I just purchased a Scala G4 Powerset, will be testing it out soon and will post a review for those that are interested.