Completed 300mile Tail of the Dragon Run Today

mkjeld76

USCG Retired
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I've done it many times on 4 but today I tried it out on 2. It was an awesome trip. Took the best roads to get there. About 7 hours round trip from home. The Dragon was a bit crowded and nerve racking for me but the Cherohala Skyway was much better.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Dragon on the weekend can be rough. Espically since the weather is nice.

When I go up for the FZ6 ride, I plan on doing it on Thursday, and then leaving it alone.

-bryan

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, I can't WAIT for July! Those pictures really get me pumped for my very first trip to The Dragon! The great thing is, the group I'm going with has been many times and plans on only running 129 a couple of times and then focusing on the many other great, and less crowded, roads in the area.

Great pics mkjeld! :rockon:

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
Drop down below the Dragon to the Suches, Georgia area. The Dragon is grossly overrated. There are much better roads to ride south of the Dragon and a lot less crowded.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
That is some beautiful country you have there. Some day...

I've driven the dragon, blue ridge parkway, skyline drive, and other great roads in that area... The PCH is still my favourite out of all them, Muholland is very nice too. Might not be as technical, but for sheer scenery and beautiful roads I gotta give the nod to California

btw, what kinda mount are you using on the Garmin?

Last edited:

mkjeld76

USCG Retired
Reaction score
Visit site
Bryan, I'm with you on that. I'll take the same route to the cabin in June. I had to ride it once to say I've done it but yes I have found better as well. I'm using the Ram mount for the Garmin. Did you notice the video camera I recorded most of the trip I need a power adapter in the tank bag to recharge it :D bag is already full of electronics.

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the pics, picked up my trailer this week for the ride in june and the excitement is building. I'm also coming up your way very early (wednesday arrival) to enjoy the dragon with less traffic and allow time to explore the other excellent rides in the area!!

mkjeld76

USCG Retired
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to head up early that Friday will hit the cabin around noon. Have any of you checked out the web cam in the garage at the Ridge :thumbup: yet?

mkjeld76

USCG Retired
Reaction score
Visit site
Last month I did the Aska Rd around to Ellijay. I will venture farther east next time. Suches is that near Black Mountain my Brother told me that was good area. I need to buy a tent and incorporate some camping with these rides.

Burnspot

Reaction score
www.burningfiles.com
Last month I did the Aska Rd around to Ellijay. I will venture farther east next time. Suches is that near Black Mountain my Brother told me that was good area. I need to buy a tent and incorporate some camping with these rides.

Camping at the TWO is a good choice, BTW. Great food and many interesting folks to chat with on the weekends. :D The eastern roads getting into that place can be ass-clenchers to the uninitated.:rockon:

I remember back when I hit those roads for the first time and I figured I was doing a great job...until I was passed by some bloke on a naked something or other....too fast for me to see, lol.

This is the northeastern road going to Suches from US19:
ncvacation060.jpg

TWO campsite:
ncvacation062.jpg

Last edited: