Cooking / baking thread!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Santa came early to Che Botch this year:

Slicer.jpg

:rockon: I'd purchased a meat slicer at Shopko last year on Black Friday, got the last one for $37, but it could cut butter and not much else; had to take it back. Got this one on-line, high ratings, on sale but a bit more; but, it worked beautifully!

Someone on the Big Green Egg forum recently posted this Italian Beef recipe:
Chicago Italian Beef (Pot Roast Style) Recipe : Jeff Mauro : Recipes : Food Network
I fell in love with Italian Beef sammiches during my many TDYs to Chicago, I've not seen them elsewhere. It's basically a top sirloin or top round, rubbed with italian herbs, and roasted to 130, and then immediately chilled. Once cold, its sliced paper-thin (hence the slicer), briefly heated in a beef broth, and then slopped on an italian roll with either horseradish or a pickled vegetable relish called Giardiniera.

Here's about a pound of the top round, off the Egg smoker and chilled:

ItalianBeef.jpg

Then mounted in the slicer:

Slicerout.jpg

…and the resulting sammich fixings:

Sliced.jpg

That jar has my homemade giardiniera, which I've never tried making before. The veggies are diced fine, brined overnight, drained and rinsed, and then covered with olive oil and herbs. Delicous, crunchy, but messy due to the oil base rather than a vinegar. I sense a lot of sammiches in my future. :D

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Doing my first pulled pork today, also playing around with making tomato sauce, chilli sauce since I have so many tomatos at the moment my last attempts failed miserably. Will post more pics later.

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well pulled apart so easy, but was a bit tasteless, even with seasoning rub overnight,(paprika, cumin, fennel, garlic, my chilli powder) then cooked with onion and garlic. I made a sauce for it from the juices in the bottom, just blended up and it was beautiful. Chilli sauce is just right, and I have 2 more bib batch's of tomato's on.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well pulled apart so easy, but was a bit tasteless, even with seasoning rub overnight,(paprika, cumin, fennel, garlic, my chilli powder) then cooked with onion and garlic. I made a sauce for it from the juices in the bottom, just blended up and it was beautiful. Chilli sauce is just right, and I have 2 more bib batch's of tomato's on.

Be there in a couple of months Jules , save me some :D

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday, I made my own sausages! :thumbup:

Read a book recently called Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing:

6a010536b72a39970b0105371b9e07970b-pi

…and I finally tried making sausages yesterday. The recipe called for 5-lb pork butt, the grocer only had 3-pounders so I picked up a 2-lb package of boneless short ribs to make up the difference (similar fat/meat ratio, I thought). My KitchenAid food grinder was going slow, and I was getting more of a pate than a "grind" half the time; when I disassembled it there was sinew tangled up everywhere, took a long time to clean up and almost made me a vegetarian. I think the short ribs may have been a mistake.
Seasoned the ground meat, it was a "master" recipe from the book, just salt, pepper, a cup of red wine and an entire head of garlic. I went ahead and added some red chile flakes and fennel.
Then used my KitchenAid stuffer attachment, its a hopper that holds the ground meat, its pushed down to an auger and fed out the stuffer tube. Bunched up on the tube is… a pig intestine liner! Got a bag of them from Amazon, you soak them in water to soften and remove the salt, then bunch it up on the tube, and tie a knot at the end. Filling the casing was slow going, I tried using the pusher tool to push the meat through quicker and got a blowout; I just retied and kept going, slower this time. Finally, you pinch the long casing at 6" intervals, and twist the sausage around a couple times to make the individual links (that part was fun!)

_DSC0030-2.jpg

If there was a way to do something wrong, I did it :doh: It'll certainly go smoother the next time. It's very messy too, spent as much time cleaning the counter, the grinder, the stuffer, the floor, the wall, the carpeting, my hair, etc. I'll also only do a 3-lb batch, 5 lbs was too much for my mixer's bowl and wanted to fling out everywhere.

I let them "set" overnight in the frig (the whole house reeks of garlic right now) and grilled a couple up today:

_DSC0032-4.jpg

(heh, the phallic appearance of my lunch is purely coincidental…)

They cooked up just fine. The recipe sucked, I'll use 1/2 as much garlic, and 1/3 as much salt, next time and it'll probably be okay. It was a lot of work, but like my first time trying home-made ravioli, it'll probably go quicker and smoother the more I do it. This book has some cool recipes in it: sausages, salamis, bologna, pates, confits, pancetta, even breakfast bacon (which I'll be trying soon, since Santa brought me a slicer.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Recently me and my missus have been making (fresh) soup, she started with tomato and I made a carrot and corriander one. midweek I made the same one but added a teaspoon of curry powder, I loved this one mmmmm.....
Today I made a pumpkin & carrot one but added tumeric and cumin and about half the corriander, I found this one to be a bit blander than the others but the kids liked it the most, so I added a bit of pepper sauce to mine to give it a kick .

I'll see if I can get a pic tomorrow.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Recently me and my missus have been making (fresh) soup, she started with tomato and I made a carrot and corriander one. midweek I made the same one but added a teaspoon of curry powder, I loved this one mmmmm.....
Today I made a pumpkin & carrot one but added tumeric and cumin and about half the corriander, I found this one to be a bit blander than the others but the kids liked it the most, so I added a bit of pepper sauce to mine to give it a kick .

I'll see if I can get a pic tomorrow.

Good stuff!! The spices which have worked well for my taste with anything pumpkin: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and cloves. :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Experimenting, tonight: zucchini beer bread :thumbup:

Hoping it tastes as good as it looks and smells

attachment.php

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I made the same one but added a teaspoon of curry powder, I loved this one mmmmm.....
Curry powder is as addictive as chipotle; I add it to eggs, sauces, soups, stews, and pounded sauteed chicken breasts.... Deeeelicous! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My first attempt at making protein bars. Chocolate almond butter with dried cranberries and dried apricots. Came out pretty good :thumbup:

attachment.php

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kel & I were looking at these on FB this morning...... Could you either post in thread or PM me the recipe please mate ?? :thumbup:

Sure, Dan! Keep in mind this was my first attempt, so I'll probably be tweaking the recipe over next few batches.

1 cup of protein powder (original recipe called for soy, but I used whey, since that's what I already had)

Coarsely chop 1 cup of dried apricots and 1 cop of raisins (any combination of dried fruit can be used, as long as they add up to 2 cups) and set aside.

Combine the following in a bowl 1:
1/2 cup oat bran
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine the following in bowl 2:
12-14 ounces of soft tofu (whisk until smooth)
1/2 cup of apple cider or unfiltered apple juice (whisk to fully combine)
2 beaten eggs (whisk to fully combine)
1/4 cup of brown sugar (light or dark) (whisk to fully combine)
2/3 cup of almond butter

Preheat oven to 350F.

Add contents of bowl 2 to bowl 1 and mix to combine.
Stir in dried fruit.

Line a 13" x 9" glass baking pan with parchment paper. Lightly brush paper with oil (I used canola). Pour mixture into pan and spread evenly. Bake for 35 minutes. Let fully cool and cut into bars.