Coolant!

Cocoloco

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good day!
So my laziness struck me.
I did not clean my hose water joint pipe. And it unveiled pitting
I noticed a raised temp when sitting in traffic light and in the verge of overheating reached full bars but not blinking (fz6n s1) on a hot summer day around 37deg celsius
Went home and checked coolant is leaking from the water joint.
Im using prestone ready to use coolant
Does a small coolant leak cause overheating? Trapped air bubbles maybe?

I did Temporary fix of using steel epoxy around the pipe joint, i havent installed it yet i ripped my radiator hose by over torquing the hose clamps, new hose is yet to arrive

What can you say about redline water wetter? I bought one just to try to lower coolant temp.IMG_20220429_142308.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220420_142246.jpg
    IMG_20220420_142246.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20220420_143607.jpg
    IMG_20220420_143607.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20220420_142250.jpg
    IMG_20220420_142250.jpg
    847.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220420_142248.jpg
    IMG_20220420_142248.jpg
    896.7 KB · Views: 14

Cocoloco

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Reviving this thread again.
Overheating still persists!
After riding for about an hour my temp bar would go 4bars and fan kicks on, but while cruising i dont go down to 3 bars. Now when i sit in traffic light or creeping in traffic my bikes temp would go full bars.(not flashing)
What else could be the problem.
Though temps subsides when i shut off and rest the bike for about 5mins
Checked everywhere theres no coolant leak and radiator has full of coolant, same goes to the reservoir
The reservoir is not boiling
This is not occuring when ambient temp is cold or when riding at night
However when i left it at idle the fan would kick on but wont lower the coolant temp
A weak water pump could cause this?
A weak rad fan?
A bad thermosensor?

Note
Newly rebuilt engine
New radiator
New hoses
New thermostat

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would definitely check the temperature sensor. The sensor value is read by the ECU. The ECU then sends data output to the engine temperature gauge readout and the ECU provides a ground path for the fan relay coil.
You might also check the water pump.
I remember you had an aggressive corrosion problem on hose outlets of the coolant system. If the internal water jackets of the engine are corroded it could impede heat transfer to the coolant causing insufficient cooling.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I installed a new cap along with the new radiator,
I doubt its the cap because my reservoir is not getting coolant from radiator. But i will also try
The coolant recovery tank should change it's level as the engine heats. If not the cap may not be working properly. if the cap is not working properly there may be air trapped in the engine coolant system. Pull the cap when the engine is cool. There should be no air at the top of the radiator opening. Only coolant.
When the engine is entirely cool you should be able to squeeze a large radiator hose and coolant should be able to pass to the recovery tank and back again. As the engine warms and the coolant expands it goes to the coolant recovery. When the engine cools there is a valve in the cap that allows coolant to be sucked from the rcovery tank back into the the radiator/engine. Make sure the hose that goes to the recovery is not cracked and connectect to the recovery tank fitting that has the pipe that is submerged in the coolant.
This video gives a great explanation of the radiator cap self burping which allows the cooling system to remain air free.

Last edited:

pmmcanon

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Reviving this thread again.
Overheating still persists!
After riding for about an hour my temp bar would go 4bars and fan kicks on, but while cruising i dont go down to 3 bars. Now when i sit in traffic light or creeping in traffic my bikes temp would go full bars.(not flashing)
What else could be the problem.
Though temps subsides when i shut off and rest the bike for about 5mins
Checked everywhere theres no coolant leak and radiator has full of coolant, same goes to the reservoir
The reservoir is not boiling
This is not occuring when ambient temp is cold or when riding at night
However when i left it at idle the fan would kick on but wont lower the coolant temp
A weak water pump could cause this?
A weak rad fan?
A bad thermosensor?

Note
Newly rebuilt engine
New radiator
New hoses
New thermostat
Hi, looking at the list of things you have changed I would take a look at the water pump, it's an easy check: Examine the petals for crakings or missing shape, also for corrosion or calcium deposits and the seals. If it's ok, the following point could be corrosion deposits embedded all around the coolant circuit; there are several "acid cleaners" that can deal with this kind of deposits (normally calcic),
Liqui Moly 2506
If now there are no leaks we can assume that there is no air coming in, but re-check the circuit, with the radiator cap off press the hoses looking for air bubbles appearing (engine cold and not running pls).
Good Luck

Cocoloco

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One thing i remember i didnt change was the impeller!
There was corrosion though i cleaned it and thought it will be ok because the coolant was flowing, i guess there's not enough flow when running slow or sitting at traffic
None was available here in my local parts dealer
I might buy a used assembly from fz6r newer models overseas
And a new thermosensor for a peace of mind
I cleaned the block and head water passage when i rebuilt the engine
Its hard to find these gremlins, i dont know when the other one will appear.
I will keep an update
Thank you very much!

Cocoloco

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I
Those are some significant leaks. Allowing the coolant system to pressurize should resolve the problems.
I was in shocked when i saw those leaks under pressure.
One thing i understand is the system should be pressurized when hot, if there is a leak it cant pressurize the system enough not to boil over.
Please correct me if im wrong
I was wrong to say im not losing coolant, but i guess it leaks then evaporates due to heat.
Thank you! Hope this will be the end of my quest to fix my bike.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Water boils at 212F/100C at ambient pressure (14.7 psi or 1013mb). Raising the pressure by 5 psi (1379mb) increases the boiling point to 228F/109C and raising it to 25 psi / 1579 mb increases the boiling temperature to 240F/116C. The boiling point of 50% water and 50% glycol is around 226F / 108 at ambient pressure. So you can see how a pressurized system can withstand significantly higher temperature before boiling. The limitation on system pressure is typically the hoses and clamps. The above examples provide good reasons to swap out the pressure-relief cap as the bike gets older.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Once your system is leak free and the pressure cap is confirmed good refill the system with a 50:50 ratio of coolant. Plain water is not good unless you have an emergency. Most coolants have corrosion inhibitent as well as lower expansion property at higher temperature. This promote more coolant in the engine. More coolant, higher heat transfer.

Cocoloco

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Once your system is leak free and the pressure cap is confirmed good refill the system with a 50:50 ratio of coolant. Plain water is not good unless you have an emergency. Most coolants have corrosion inhibitent as well as lower expansion property at higher temperature. This promote more coolant in the engine. More coolant, higher heat transfer.
I will refill it with coolant once its 100% leak free.
Now i understand why i dont see any movement in my reservoir , it cant build enough pressure to open up the relief valve of the radiator cap
Thank you

Cocoloco

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I flushed the system, refilled with coolant and burped the air out of the system
Replaced radiator cap with another new one
The temp seemed lower than before but it took longer to show high temperature (full bars)
No boiling over nor steaming maybe a bad sensor is making false temp reading
I bought a replacement part water temp sensor
It has the same socket but the color is not the same as the original part is black.
Now i have my doubt that the thread will fit to the cylinder head.

(Ive read in a thread someone here experienced the same thing, it turns out to be a bad sensor)

I wished for a bike that i can learn to repair and get it back running. I guess my fz6 is a wish came true ahaha

Attachments

• IMG_20220601_150343.jpg
    IMG_20220601_150343.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220601_150340.jpg
    IMG_20220601_150340.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 15

Cocoloco

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Old sensor is coated with rust
Repaced it,
Test ride whenever the rain stops pouring

Attachments

• IMG_20220602_134655.jpg
    IMG_20220602_134655.jpg
    951.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220602_134652.jpg
    IMG_20220602_134652.jpg
    954 KB · Views: 9

Cocoloco

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Heres my problem
My temp gauge went max bars
With fan running
I shut the bike off right after i parked and grabbed my phone to take a video
I dont see movement in the reservoir tank and its not getting hot
Im having doubts with the thermostat not fully opening even though its brand new

Im slowly losing interest with this bike

Im starting to think thst i blew my head gasket off again after rebuild