Crankcase...failure

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried to replace my crankcase for the second time and failed again. The 4 bolts inside are a PIA to remove so I am going to leave it to the mechanic.

After draining the oil you need an Allen key to undo ALL the bolts on the casing, there are 9 of them, so count them.

The pics are just to give you an idea of what you will actually see when you get the crankcase off. The three bolts holding the stator in the casing and the one holding the electrical connection are the problem.

The pin and the cog is easy to refit when you can see where it goes.

The bolts are glued in by Yamaha and I know someone on here has got them freed but I know when to give up.

You don`t need a torque wrench to take the case off or put it on, I would suggest that if you don`t know how to set one correctly that you don`t use it on this casing.

Steve

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Those look like "Torx" screws. I can't tell which size by the pictures, but I think someone else on here has said which size before. Torx sizing is usually called like T7, T9, T25, etc.

Thanks for posting the pics. It'll definitely help when I try to replace that cover.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the torx screw set but they are in so tight I think you need an air gun to get them out.

If I keep going at them i will round them off so I will let the professional sort it out.

Steve

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
An impact wrench with a torx socket would do well in that situation.

But since you're taking it to the shop, that's the best bet.
If they break it, they fix it :)

tum226

Reaction score
www.rollahome.com
if you use an impact wrench on a torx bit it has been my experience that you just break the torx bit. make sure the torx bit is tight in the bolt and all the way in to limit the chance of it spinning in the bolt head. they shouldn't be so tight you can't get them out by hand. just breaking the initial bond is the hard part. good luck. maybe get a breaker bar instead of a ratchet

Pimpson

Reaction score
Visit site
I replace my cover when I first got the bike and only used the torx thingy on my socket wrench. I'm not a muscular guy by any means and mine came off....I don't know maybe I just got lucky.

W

wrightme43

Heat and impact make loctite come loose.

Heat the bolt, then insert the torx bit, then rap it firmly one time with a brass, nylon, or light ball peen hammer. It will come right loose normally.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
An impact has been great for me in non bike related things in the past but one word from the guy who learned the hard way... this isn't a BFH scenario... Little rap on the head will do it... don't go overboard...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What I have found to make a project like this easier is to support the cover from underneath (maybe a hard stool or better yet, atop a workbench). Once supported, some heat with an impact driver (hand/hammer tool) should remove it...

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the all the tips guys but I cannot be bothered to go through all the rigmarole of emptying the oil etc again. I am gong into the shop on Friay anyway so they can do it while I am in there shopping for more goodies. It will only take them 10 minutes and they are good with me anyway.

They like the fact that it is an Englishman coming from Denmark to get the work done in Germany.

Steve

Ashbone

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool, :rockon:I'm an Englishman in Canada talking to an Englishman in Denmark taking his bike to be fixed in Germany, hows that for International:cheer::cheer::cheer: