Creston to New Denver

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Creston to New Denver (look down the thread for more pictures)

Saturday, we (dh, me, and dh's friend) rode from Creston to New Denver and back again. I took a picture, but my phone ate it. :spank:

There was just about no traffic the whole way: up the east side of Kootenay Lake, then across the ferry and north to Kaslo then west to New Denver. Beautiful roads, sunny skies, endless twisties. :D

On the ferry we met a guy who'd shipped his Ducati all the way from New Zealand, and we all rode together, had lunch at that little sandwich place in New Denver (awesome sandwiches), and then Mr. Ducati went ahead on his own after we got off the ferry. I'm guessing he likes to go faster than the slowest member of our group. That'd be me, whose little peg feeler dealies are smooth as a baby's bottom. I can appreciate that it might be loads of fun to ride really fast, but for me, doubling the suggested speeds on the corners feels like about as much fun as a girl can take, thank you very much.

Between Kaslo and the ferry on the way back, this group of guys on Benellis passed us. On the left, on the right, in our lane, racing all over the road even on blind corners. :eek: If they'd wrecked, it would have been Darwinism at work, I guess. Looked like ZZ Top, some of them, all tucked down on their tiny little bikes. If it hadn't been so alarming, it might've been funny.

Got home just after sunset, which was good timing for dh, who went the whole way in just mesh jacket and pants. When the sun goes down here, it's like turning on a fridge switch. I brought extra clothes in my backpack, so I was the right temperature the whole way. :cheer:

That route is my absolute favorite day trip ever. :D

Last edited:

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Susan...you need to carry a camera! :eek:
I always have one in my motorcycle purse (tank bag) ;)

I really do, don't I. Note to self: must get motorcycle purse. And dh had his GoPro, but he forgot to charge the battery, so it recorded a few minutes at the beginning of the ride. :spank:Which just means we need to go again, right? :BLAA:

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Creston to New Denver (and a picture!)

Mr. Ducati dropped by our place today, so I got a picture from our trip after all. :cheer:

New%2520Denver%25202012%252009%252015.jpg

Last edited:

suedon

cafe racer
Reaction score
Visit site
I have driven in a car the road from Creston up to Kokanee Springs but not on my bike yet. Friends used to have cabin near Mountain Shores. Just came back from there and saw many bikes. That road would be awesome driving it on a bike. I would recommend that lake road to anyone, it's a little off the beaten path but as Kokanee Springs used to say......'worth the drive".......i also just met a mr. ducati passing us travelling to bc with three of his friends passing us doing about 160 k's.........

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
So we went again yesterday, because how could we not?

Looking north over the lake by Kaslo:

north%2520over%2520lake%2520in%2520Kaslo.JPG

And looking south from the viewpoint just south of Silverton (pictures never do justice to how very far it is down to the lake from there), you can see how much smoke there is from the fires in Washington:

south%2520over%2520lake%2520in%2520Kaslo%25203.JPG

And here we see that the red one likes to be in front:

FZ6%2520and%2520CBF%2520in%2520Kaslo.JPG

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
Love that area. Spent three nights in the Kaslo hotel on a trip thru the kootenays from Saskatoon and ran from Kaslo to New Denver a few times, as well as up on some logging roads, down to the brewery in Creston, and all over the place.

I doubt there is a more beautiful place in North America.

This was just off of 36, right in the heart of the twisty awesomeness.
638826581_4pACL-L-1.jpg

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
The highway between Kaslo and New Denver is still one of my favorite twisty places to ride. Dh and I went again yesterday.

We had an interesting time ordering lunch at the Valhalla Inn, where the waitress seemed neither to speak nor to understand English. She did eventually bring us some burgers, so it turned out OK. Next time we'll stick with the sandwich shop we went to before.