Curious about gutting Exhaust

BrianDubbs

Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking at ways to get a deeper sounds out of my bike.

The most obvious is to get a pair of cans, but i dont have the money atm.

Does anyone know anything about gutting the FZ exhaust? My roommate did it to his 07 VFR, but I have not found too much on the internet about an FZ6.

Is it a stupid idea that i should forget? Or a cheap way to make a better sound?

Thanks!

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
There are many....many...many websites on the net about the exhaust for FZ6. If you want top of the line best sound and looks, well in my opinion and many others would agree with me, is Two Brothers exhaust. If you want this exhaust, there is also a group buy on the forum you can save some money like that. Usually any exaust would run you between $650 to $850 depending on what you want.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do a search under drilled out, gutted, modified stock exhaust and you'll find several methods of making more noise.

jrf

Reaction score
Visit site
You tube is a pretty good place to check out how one would sound. Theres quite a few on here that have done it. Some like it some don't.

Try a search for exhaust mods it should turn up qite a few results:thumbup:

BrianDubbs

Reaction score
Visit site
apparently i am not all that good at navigating the internet. doh.

But i have found some more things with your alls guidance.

The two brothers sound great, just a scary number to think about paying atm!
but that is what piggy banks are for i suppose.

I saw something about gutting it out, but seems like having some welding experience and such would be necessary. Anyone done it without experience with good results?

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
another thing people have done is take a long masonry drill bit and drill some holes into the baffles. Like Hellgate said do a few searches on this forum and you will have a million answers. If you don't like the sound I will sell you my old stock exhaust for $25 and shipping to you. :thumbup: that shouldn't hurt the piggy bank too much but the reason I have too is because I wanted to go the cheap way and drill out baffles and I bought another muffler to do it to and I liked it so much I just kept it!

BrianDubbs

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there somewhere that this drilling idea is already posted? Ill do some searches.

Did it just give the exhaust a deeper sound?

Btw as a native son of South Boston, I deeply appreciate the signature! Go Sox indeed! :thumbup:

jrf

Reaction score
Visit site
drilling the baffles is pretty easy.

Get a flash light and look at your exhaust. Shine the light into the tail pipe and you will see a metal wall of some sort it is about 10 inches or so inside the exhaust. This is what gets drilled. You will need a drill bit that is atleast a foot long to reach into the exhaust. I think you would need a 3/8 inch drill bit maybe 1/2 inch. Then you just put the bit into the tail pipe and start drilling.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard an exhaust on a gsxr that was drilled. Sounded like somebody raped a band instrument... All depends on personal preference I guess...

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
I did mine a few days ago just to give it a try, I figured at worst I was only out $50 or less to replace the muffler with one on ebay. I started with one 1/4" hole in each side and couldn't really tell any difference. Then went to 1/2" and it sounded good when revved but had a funky rattling sound at idle. Figuring it was F'ed at this point I went back to the 1/4" and drilled another hole in each and it sounded pretty good both at idle and revved. Gave it a nice low rumble and not to loud when revved. I am pleased with the result for just a few minutes of time. It's by no means an aftermarket system but I didn't want it real loud nor want to spend $500 plus.

as info I did have to adjust the idle after doing this it dropped about 200rpm's.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i'll probably gut my stock exhaust this summer since i put the Leo's on and don't need it as my exhaust. I have been curious about it for a while...

tum226

Reaction score
www.rollahome.com
I have recently gutted a stock exhaust. I haven't ridden with it yet but it sounds alright in the garage. I took out the internals and replaced it with two pipes. the two pipes connect the one inlet to the two outlets. i perferated (drilled a bunch of holes in) the two pipes the full length and welded them in place. then i took exhaust packing material (insulation from menards) and packed it around everything and welded the lid back on. i have pictures but have not downloaded them to the computer yet.

they sound a little raspy when reved and a little louder at idle than stock.

i am going to gut my other stock exhaust soon and try putting a baffle system in like you find in a flowmaster exhaust and see how that sounds.

the first exhaust took me about 3 hours to hack apart, make the internals, and weld back together.

buccs40oz

Reaction score
Visit site
I have recently gutted a stock exhaust. I haven't ridden with it yet but it sounds alright in the garage. I took out the internals and replaced it with two pipes. the two pipes connect the one inlet to the two outlets. i perferated (drilled a bunch of holes in) the two pipes the full length and welded them in place. then i took exhaust packing material (insulation from menards) and packed it around everything and welded the lid back on. i have pictures but have not downloaded them to the computer yet.

they sound a little raspy when reved and a little louder at idle than stock.

i am going to gut my other stock exhaust soon and try putting a baffle system in like you find in a flowmaster exhaust and see how that sounds.

the first exhaust took me about 3 hours to hack apart, make the internals, and weld back together.

yeah let us know with some pics and some how to. that would be great to see some pics

Last edited: