Custom exhaust work

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been looking around here and I do not see much on people with custom exhausts. I do not mean a akro or something like that. That is not custom, just aftermarket.

Has anyone actually taken off the massive pack under the seat and put in something different?

It won't be for a while if at all but I thought about taking that pack out, putting on some flexible exhaust tubing and then a 1-2 divider and then some cones like these: Megs Exhaust
About halfway down. I could probably put something together for just over $200 as opposed to $600 or more. I can get small cones so a 4 pipe like the laser would probably fit. Higher cost though.

Here is a clip of 1 on a bmw r65. Engines are different obviously but this seems to have a nice deep sound. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTCrN7tbfA]BMW R65 Cone Engineering Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

here is a cb350, the twin version but with the smaller pistons, sound would be somewhat close.
Sound Clip 2.25" race megas | Facebook
Sorry, it is a facebook link.

S

Shamus McFeeley

...flexible exhaust tubing and then a 1-2 divider and then some cones...

That just sounds like a terrible idea to me. If you like that style of thing though, it's your bike and to each their own.

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
In what way is it terrible? Isn't most of the exhaust hidden? So the flex pipe and divider would be mostly hidden.
I doubt the cones would look any worse than something that looks like this.
Akrapovic Slip-On Exhaust - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Maybe I have not looked enough so see why it would be bad. Structurally there is nothing wrong with using the parts I want as they are used every day in other applications.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Aftermarket exhaust companies spend a lot of time and money designing and testing their systems and sometimes only gain a few horsepower if that.

Of course if performance isn't your goal just to be really loud and a custom look then go for it.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
GO FOR IT! post pics of what you got, custom exhaust is nothing new, but they all set off the bike in their own personal way. Its always beautiful no matter what.

I wanna see it when you are finished!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
I doubt most custom exhaust are about gaining HP. I just have a hard time with the cost of aftermarket systems.
Besides, most of the mods done are purely aesthetic anyways, such the fender eliminator.:Flash: Some remove it but yet the thought of keeping road crap from hitting my exhaust is appealing.

Anyways, a video clip is a poor measure of how loud a system is though I am sure my idea would be louder than the stock system but probably less than a leo with the db killers out.

I guess I am wondering if anyone has ever done anything but that aftermarket stuff. I come from old bikes where people really customize things, even if it is an eye sore! Things such as taking a cb750 and modding it to use and undertail exhaust and mono shock. Or boring out the engine to stuff in a 1080cc kit which entails removing the sleeves, boring the block till there are holes in the fins, stuffing a new sleeve in and welding the holes closed.

I guess you could liken it to old style car building to new style tuners.

Well Yamihoe, if I do it, I will be sure to share. The idea just popped in today!

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
See there is something different, not an arrow or 2 bros!
Looks good from the side I think. Do you have a rear view of it?
What else did you change or was it just tips?

Brando5185

Reaction score
Visit site
I modified a stock CBR1000RR exhaust to fit. All for under $60.

2012-02-02172432.jpg

2012-02-02172404.jpg

2012-02-02175703.jpg

Last edited:

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
That is interesting. So you took the stock and hacked it in half, gutted it, and welded on new tips? Essentially?
It is a really cool look.

These things are what I was looking for. People not just using an everyday aftermarket system.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup that's pretty much exactly what i did, I originally was going to just make it straight pipes but the more I thought about it I didn't want it completely wide open so I made a "mini" muffler