Dead battery on '08 FZ6 - dual headlight mod?

Rocky529

Reaction score
Visit site
Last night I almost got stuck 30 mins from home, I ended up popping the clutch and got it started. I wasn't sure what the problem was.

Today, I left the bike on accessory for about 5 minutes and then tried to start it... it just cranks but doesn't turn over and then I get a clicking noise. I know the battery is dead.

I modded my bike for dual headlights about 2 months ago... I know there are several ways to do it, but this is the method I took:

I spliced on a connector to a piece of wire and put it on my right headlight into the empty cavity. I then ran it inside my fairing and spliced it to the green/white (I think) wire that come down near my forks from my handlebars. I read that this was successfully done by a few others, but apparently it has drained my battery over time to where it doesn't have enough CCA to start my bike.

Any ideas on this? I'm getting a new battery tomorrow.

Thanks

BikerDude43 did a breakdown on wattage scenarios. I think you're only running 65 or so more watts with the dual headlight mod which in well under the total output. You can probably search out BD43's thread on the breakdown of wattage. I DO recall one dual headlight mod that was NOT recommended (was it Boneman who did a thread on this?). Maybe it was because it resulted in low beams on with the high beam...I don't remember.
Here's BD43's thread on electrical output: http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/1827-fz6-electrical-power.html

Last edited:
A couple questions...

Are all the lights off when you shut down and remove the key?

When in low and high beam, do you see one or both filaments in the bulb lit?

A couple questions...

Are all the lights off when you shut down and remove the key?

When in low and high beam, do you see one or both filaments in the bulb lit?
Yes, all the lights are off when I remove the key.

I only see one filament at a time illuminated.

I just noticed something else, not sure if this is normal or not.

I coincidentally changed my oil and filter yesterday.. Mobil 1 10-40 4T synthetic and M1-110 filter. When I have the bike in gear with the clutch in and the motor off, I still feel some resistance when I walk the bike..almost like the clutch isn't fully disengaging? :confused:

That might be because the engine cranked but didn't turn over?

Last edited:
Yes, all the lights are off when I remove the key.

I only see one filament at a time illuminated.

The dual light mod isn't the root cause then.

What's your average RPM and how long is the average trip on your bike?

Any other mods dealing with elecrtical?

We'll root out the cause for ya! :thumbup:

The dual light mod isn't the root cause then.

What's your average RPM and how long is the average trip on your bike?

Any other mods dealing with elecrtical?

We'll root out the cause for ya! :thumbup:
My average RPM is around 5,000. My average trip is around an hour...

My only other mods dealing with electrical is the PCIII (recently uploaded new map, too).

I really don't want to have the bike trailered to a dealership...

Sounds like you may just have a bad battery or possibly the charging system electronics are faulty. I know on automobiles if the diodes short out in the voltage regulator - that can drain a battery in a hurry. Not familiar with the bikes charging and regulation circuitry yet, but that may be a direction you may want to look in.

Sounds like you may just have a bad battery or possibly the charging system electronics are faulty. I know on automobiles if the diodes short out in the voltage regulator - that can drain a battery in a hurry. Not familiar with the bikes charging and regulation circuitry yet, but that may be a direction you may want to look in.
I'm hoping for just a bad battery.. this bike has been babied, never seen rain (not that it matters a whole lot), etc...

I'm probably just going to call the dealer tomorrow and try to pick up a new battery by car and install it.. under warranty hopefully.

I don't know if you have access to a DVM(digital volt meter), but if you can check what the battery voltage is while it is running, that could give you some answers. I don't know the specified numbers, but I would say if the battery reads anything below 12 volts dc(direct current scale), it would be safe to assume something is wrong with the charging system. It would probably read somewhere around 13.5 volts while running as a guess on my part.

My only other mods dealing with electrical is the PCIII (recently uploaded new map, too).

On my '07 the green wire takes advantage of the relay, so only one filament lights at a time. That sounds like your set up. I've had no battery problem in 9K miles. I seldom use the high beam.

Are you sure your GPS doesn't draw a residual current? Probably not, but just asking.

On my '07 the green wire takes advantage of the relay, so only one filament lights at a time. That sounds like your set up. I've had no battery problem in 9K miles. I seldom use the high beam.

Are you sure your GPS doesn't draw a residual current? Probably not, but just asking.
I don't have GPS.

Back