Decibel (Loudness) of Aftermarket While Riding??

How loud is it for you while riding on a HWY or freeway for long periods of time with an aftermarket

• I have wished the OEM exhaust was back on during these times.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I have to wear ear plugs.

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • I experience hearing loss without ear plugs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I tried an aftermarket exhaust and went back to the OEM exhaust because it was too loud.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • The noise from an aftermarket exhaust doesn't require ear plugs; I don't experience hearing loss.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • It's a bit noiser than OEM exhaust.

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • It's a bit noiser than OEM exhaust, and I can still use my bluetooth headset successfully.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I do not notice a difference.

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Only bikes I've had that had aftermarket exhausts I've bought with them on there. If the opportunity presented itself I've always went back to stock. Even with a stock exhaust I always wear earplugs and have tunes rocking with a SENA SHM10.

Most I've done is modify a few OEM exhausts to have a sightly deeper growl than stock and left them at athat.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With my Scorp's without DB killers, and wearing a 3/4 helmet, I can still hear my built in am/fm stereo at 65 MPH (speakers velcored into the ear pockets of the helmet).

I've never had a problem with wind noise by my ears, I'm assuming because the Shoei I have, has padding all the way around the speakers and my ears keeping the wind out... That's with a tinted face shield too..

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most of the noise is behind me so I really don't notice the loudness. Yes, I can hear it but like others have said, wind and music is usually more dominant. On the other hand, for somebody who is behind me, the decible increase might be more noticeable.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
1Db under the legal limit - according to the checkpoint I drove through.

But - as others have said - its definitely got a throatier tone. It's absolutely louder than OEM -- but the only time I really notice it being loud is when I'm in 1st gear. Anything past 1st - the wind drowns out the sound of the muffler. The wind itself is way louder than either OEM or aftermarket mufflers.

If you're debating aftermarket pipes - I'd say do it. Best 600$ i spent (other than the $8k for the bike itself). Its not like we're talking about straight through pipes here.

I'd do it 100 times over.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

But - as others have said - its definitely got a throatier tone. It's absolutely louder than OEM -- but the only time I really notice it being loud is when I'm in 1st gear. Anything past 1st - the wind drowns out the sound of the muffler. The wind itself is way louder than either OEM or aftermarket mufflers.

If you're debating aftermarket pipes - I'd say do it. Best 600$ i spent (other than the $8k for the bike itself). Its not like we're talking about straight through pipes here.

Is that with Scorps and NO DB killers?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site

They have checkpoints to measure how loud your exhaust is!!!! I'd be screwed if I lived there lol. Well there is a good chance my exhaust might break their machine....

Down here in ga we zero motorcycle exhaust laws

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
They have checkpoints to measure how loud your exhaust is!!!! I'd be screwed if I lived there lol. Well there is a good chance my exhaust might break their machine....

Down here in ga we zero motorcycle exhaust laws

Some agencies down here have decibel meters and the laws are on the books but it really isn't enforced... Most of the HD's are louder than my open Scorps anyway... That is until about 5-6 K RPM's... :)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had to go with "did not notice a difference."

While riding on the highway, you don't really hear the exhaust, just the wind.

I wear ear plugs every time i ride (atgatt), but it is not due to my exhaust.

The problem with the poll is that you put down earplugs due to exhaust noise, but a lot of people are going to select it due to them wearing them anyway due to wind.

It is going to throw off your poll due to it making it look like the exhaust is really loud when it truly is not.
Link and discussion about ear plugs.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/safety-equipment/581-ear-plugs-no-ear-plugs-question.html

Nelly

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Wind noise is so much louder than my Scorpion exhaust that I can only hear the exhaust at speeds under about 45 mph. Ear plugs should always be worn when riding motorcycles above 45 mph if you want to have hearing at age 50.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
82 or 83dB - at 5k RPMS - and they weren't more 2 or 3ft away.

In PA, vehicles moving over 35mph cannot have sounds over 90dB emanating from it. Yes it is fairly quiet....definitely not as quiet as our ninja OEM exhausts. But definitely not offensively loud. It has a great throaty tone, but is not so loud that its bothersome.

I think I even have a youtube video of before and after...but I'll have to look for it after school if you're interested.