Decisions

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
--Just finished reading all the other comments here.

I liked what I've read so far, therefore I'm quite content to simply sit-back and watch things work out for the best.

Have a good day.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok just got back from talking with them both.

They have been worried to death since I started how they would keep me. That made me feel really really good.

I expressed my ideas, and they agree with them, except the express oil change drive thru bay. I think it takes way way way to much time to pull each car around and put it on a 5000$ lift for 2$ profit.
One of the guys is awesome worker, smart, happy, competent and just a good guy.
The other guy is a shiat head. He just has to go. One hour to do a oil change, and constantly breaking stuff.

We are going to redo on the cheap now, but still redo the bathroom so it looks very very nice instead of nasty.
Redo the showroom/waiting room so it looks sharp instead of run down.
Redo the counter and make everything look nice for the customers.
Clean and neaten and paint the bay that has a huge picture window into it. It looks like hell now.

This is the largest Midas in the country. It should be at least in the top 200 in sales. We are in the top 600, but really only because of the size not because of profit to cost which is as it should be. I know I can bring us up that ladder.

Phil has awards and awards from Midas, but all of them are old. We need new ones.
We did win the best of Bowling Green award this for favorite auto repair shop in town though. That needs to be a lock.

I am supposed to write job discriptions for the techs and lube techs.

I should become general manager soon. I know the shop manager now is going to be very very very pissed at me. He is screwing up, and has been screwing up for a long time.

I am not going to get into details but one of them is a big big screwup Phil has no idea about.

Anyway I stuck my neck way way out today. I turned down money for more work and less pay. I do however believe that it was the right decision.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts. I do appreciate all of them even though I am sure some of you may think I am crazy. LOL LOL LOL I am crazy :thumbup: so you are 100% right there anyway.

Steve
Good luck mate,
How about some before and after pictures?

Nelly

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Well since you have already made your decision we now get to offer advice on the rest of your future :)

Keep a record of everything you are helping out with in regards to improving the shop. You will want it later for your resume. Good things to do:
-Get management experience, even if it is managing one guy while he sweeps the shop. Having management skills automatically give you a foot up. Writing job descriptions is a good start. See if you can also supervise any trainign efforts at the shop.
-Try and help out with the cost benefit analysis work, sounds like you have already started, now get it out of your head and onto paper and use real figures.
-Try to get involved with the financial and supply chain side of the business. How much does it cost to run the business and how much profit is it making is a question you want answered.

Now after a few years at general manager if you actively engage yourself instead of just plodding along like most of the competition will be you can either move up in the company, take your resume somewhere else with a good chunk of credible expereince, or start your own business with experience investors or banks like to see.

If this stuff starts to interest you then read some books on business management and financial management and maybe take some classes if you get serious. You will at least get a solid foundation of the basics and the current buzzwords. Education level doesn't get you as far as practical experience as long as you can express and demonstrate your knowledge clearly and effectively. So if you get into any type of corporate job later you may not start out as highly paid as someone who went to school but you have expereince that will advance you faster.

Good luck

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sweet deal

while i may have counselled otherwise, i can certainly appreciate why you chose to stay on with midas. at the end of the day only you know how you really feel about things and judging from what you've written you are no doubt very confident that you have made the right decision. sometimes a job feels like it fits better, for whatever reason, and you are much better off staying there than trying to jam a square peg into a round hole.

congrats and good luck.

P.S. Do you ever pick up girls using the pick-up line, "Trust the Midas touch......" :p

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
All the best wishes to you Steve. I think you made the right decision. Crappy job just isn't worth it however big the paycheck is.

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck Steve, I hope it all works out for you. I think you should have negotiated better, they obviously need you a whole lot more than $12/hr worth. I have to negotiate on a regular basis at work and rule one is if they accept your offer you just left money on the table, and vice versa. You just left money on the table. Business is no place for trust among friends. Don't assume they will treat you right after you put in all the effort and have made yourself replaceable. I really think you should get a written agreement if it isn't too late. You're ready to take charge and apply yourself to turning the company around, you should be forcing them to compensate you for that. Profit sharing on increases from 2008, that sort of thing. Tell them you have been thinking about it and are totally committed to the company if they will be fair about paying you for the value you bring to the table. Don't push to be compensated ahead of time for potential future gains, but set goals and appropriate increases for when and if you reach them, and get it in writing.

Good luck for 2009!! Sounds like you'll enjoy it.

Last edited: