Dev_usc head light kits

Dblracing

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone pruchased a head light kit from DEV_USC ?
The VS1 or VS2. If so how did it go and do you have any pic that you could post. Thanks

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say at least 50 people on this forum have. He's a trusted seller.
To sum it up, install is relatively simple (compared to putting a kit together yourself and messing with wiring). Final conversion looks great.

You should be able to find loads of pictures and threads on installation on this forum. Try searching for "FZ16".

samlynn37

Reaction score
Visit site
i bought a kit (less the headlight) from him back in 2010 when i first got my '08, and the only thing i ended up using is the headlight bracket, and i ended up having to modify it too. the quality of this kit is way below standard IMO. when i got the kit, both mirrors were smashed to pieces (if the mirrors are ok, i would still just throw them away... yah they look that cheap), the paint on the headlight bracket was already peeling away, the speedo mount was not even close to fitting. judging from the quality of his merchandise, i am surprised that no one has come forward to say anything, maybe hes a sponsor here and the admin took out the negative comments?? who knows, maybe the quality of his stuff is much better now.. there is only one way to find out i guess. if you ask me, i'd say stay away...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i bought a kit (less the headlight) from him back in 2010 when i first got my '08, and the only thing i ended up using is the headlight bracket, and i ended up having to modify it too. the quality of this kit is way below standard IMO. when i got the kit, both mirrors were smashed to pieces (if the mirrors are ok, i would still just throw them away... yah they look that cheap), the paint on the headlight bracket was already peeling away, the speedo mount was not even close to fitting. judging from the quality of his merchandise, i am surprised that no one has come forward to say anything, maybe hes a sponsor here and the admin took out the negative comments?? who knows, maybe the quality of his stuff is much better now.. there is only one way to find out i guess. if you ask me, i'd say stay away...

Wow. That's the first negative *review* I've heard about that kit. Most people seem to love it and most say it's easy enough to mount up. I've seen it mounted to the bike in person and it looked very nice to me :don'tknow:

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site

Did you contact him to work it out? If all you used was a headlight bracked, were you OK with wasting the money for the rest of the part? THat's a lot of money to spend on a bracket. I'm sure he would have sent your money back and taken the kit back if you told him you were't happy.

I've read other reviews where something cracked and it was because some spacer was missing in the screws. He offered to replace the parts and from now on sends out the correct spacer.

I haven't bought from him yet and don't know the guy, but from everything I've read here, he stands by his product. It's not cool to post a review where you bash the guy, if you haven't attempted to give him a chance to fix an issue.

Not a sermon, just a thought.

dev_usc

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I am sorry you had these problems.. if you had contacted me I would have been glad to take it back.. If you still want to return the kit I would gladly take it back and work out appropriate refund.... I stand by my kit and do everything to make thing right.. I don't believe any of the forum members that have worked with me had any problems that I was not able to work out with them one way or the other...

samlynn37

Reaction score
Visit site
first of all, i didnt come here to offend anyone, and second of all, this is not a reivew on his product. i was simply trying to give my opinion on the kit. and like i mentioned above, maybe his stuff is much better quality now, and i can care less.
yes, i contacted him after i recieved the kit, and yes he did offer to replace the broken parts for me, but like i said, the quality is so poor i would've just thrown them out anyways. i declined his offer.. yah its a lot of money to pay for just a headlight bracket, but you live and learn. i am not bashing anyone here, just my past experience dealing with him. yes, i agree that he stands behind his product and tries to make his customers happy, but the moment i recieved the kit, he has lost me as a customer... not because how he handles his business, but the quality of his merchandise. i sure hope that he ups his game in the quality department.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Vishnu, maybe you can chime in on this.. I thought the parts came from FZ16. I didn't think you actually made (or had someone make) the bracket.

Those look like original Yamaha parts to me. You can't possibly blame dev_usc for poor quality if these come straight from Yamaha.

Here's a thread with some install pics: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-streetfighter/38358-fz16-headlight-let-naked-madness-begin.html

Here's a detailed picture of the kit (HUGE)

fz16kit.jpg

samlynn37

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok now, if the parts i bought look anything close to what erci has posted, maybe i would give it a try. Like i said before, maybe he has changed supplier since then, or maybe the supplier has up their game in the quality department, but whatever i have recieved did not come close to what was being shown here. Definitely NOT yamaha original parts

The headlight bracket, paint was peeling off, the turn signals, no bags, just loose in the box. The nuts and bolts, no bags, just loose in the box. The box the kit came in with, one corner was smashed and pieces of glass falling out of the gaps, and im sure some nuts and bolts fell out too.. look i am not trying to bash anyone here, maybe it was a transport damage, but it doesnt change the fact the products were very low quality and was not packaged properly. I dont understand why people are so afraid to give negative feedback to him??? I am going to say this again, we have exchanged email after this happened and i DECLINED his offer to replace the parts. Im my opinion, he has done nothing wrong, and like erci saaid, i cant blame him for poor quality of his proructs. But me and all of you being consumers, have the choice to spend your money elsewhere, and that was my choice, thats the point im trying to get to.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont understand why people are so afraid to give negative feedback to him???

Maybe because no one else had negative experience? I've read so many positive things about this kit. :don'tknow:

Few people mentioned that they had to modify few things to make everything fit properly, but that's about it. I'm sure if everyone had the same experience you had, we would all know about it. Sucks that it didn't work out for you. :(

SmokeEater37

Reaction score
Visit site
Only negative thing I could say about the kit, is the quality of the large mounting bolts included. I don't know what the deal was, thread size just barely too large, or inferior quality of metal, or what. But the one bolt bent as I was threading it into the frame, which only allowed it to be screwed in 3/4 of the way. And the other completely snapped off at the head.
Mind you this was all with just my bare hands and a ratchet. And no they weren't cross threaded, I triple checked that while scratching my head.
Had to have my local dealer drill it out with some special carbide bit from a local machine shop. That wasn't cheap.
Otherwise overall very happy with it after the install. Love showing off before and after pictures, and everyone agrees it looks great (even my dealership!)

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok now, if the parts i bought look anything close to what erci has posted, maybe i would give it a try. Like i said before, maybe he has changed supplier since then, or maybe the supplier has up their game in the quality department, but whatever i have recieved did not come close to what was being shown here. Definitely NOT yamaha original parts

The headlight bracket, paint was peeling off, the turn signals, no bags, just loose in the box. The nuts and bolts, no bags, just loose in the box. The box the kit came in with, one corner was smashed and pieces of glass falling out of the gaps, and im sure some nuts and bolts fell out too.. look i am not trying to bash anyone here, maybe it was a transport damage, but it doesnt change the fact the products were very low quality and was not packaged properly. I dont understand why people are so afraid to give negative feedback to him??? I am going to say this again, we have exchanged email after this happened and i DECLINED his offer to replace the parts. Im my opinion, he has done nothing wrong, and like erci saaid, i cant blame him for poor quality of his proructs. But me and all of you being consumers, have the choice to spend your money elsewhere, and that was my choice, thats the point im trying to get to.

Maybe customs got their hands on it?

dev_usc

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Only negative thing I could say about the kit, is the quality of the large mounting bolts included. I don't know what the deal was, thread size just barely too large, or inferior quality of metal, or what. But the one bolt bent as I was threading it into the frame, which only allowed it to be screwed in 3/4 of the way. And the other completely snapped off at the head.
Mind you this was all with just my bare hands and a ratchet. And no they weren't cross threaded, I triple checked that while scratching my head.
Had to have my local dealer drill it out with some special carbide bit from a local machine shop. That wasn't cheap.
Otherwise overall very happy with it after the install. Love showing off before and after pictures, and everyone agrees it looks great (even my dealership!)

thanks for the feedbacks....over the years I have made several changes with feedbacks from the forum members... for example since early this year I replaced all the non-yamaha bolts with stainless steel bolts....

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I helped SD Willie install this kit 2 years ago.

I must say I was not at all pleased with the quality of the mounting bracket which is to say an integral part of the install.
The hardware wasn't organized so you had to figure out what goes where
The headlight itself.. pretty good.

If I wanted to do this conversion for my bike I wouldn't buy this kit.

But after some fanagling the results look pretty good.